Budget T5 Fixture

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant see the fixture for some reason but the width is prob too big for the tank. Just wondering if anyone has used the current usa nova t5 before. Its the only other t5 i found that fit nanoreefs specs for $200. at least its an aquarium brand thats still around but i havent seen one in a long time. forgot to link it before https://www.ebay.com/itm/Current-No...728367?hash=item288aa4802f:g:fPYAAOSwljFd8roc
One of my fav tanks back in the day was a sps dominant standard 75g with a 6 bulb nova.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two LET kits would put you at $240. That would give you 4x39 which I think is doable for a 21" width and then you can later add a reefbrite bar for some bling later on.

A floating hood can be made for about $30 when you have the extra cash to make one around the framework of the bulbs.

If you want two more bulbs you can always add later when your budget allows, but I think you'll be happier adding a reefbrite LED bar later on.

Don't buy those grow lights..................stick with a product that has water proof end caps.

Keep in mind that a T5 unit like a LET or Reefbrite will last you a lifetime and you will always have a use for them being retrofit type setups.

I've had my LET setup for about 15 years and it's still over my dominant SPS system.

Reefbrite offers a pre assembled package for a little more. These do go on sale quite often for at least 10% off if you can wait.
-------------------------------------------
I could see experimenting with those grow light fixtures for a frag tank where you can just toss it if you don't like it. Or use it for something other than an aquarium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NanoReefs

NanoReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know any hanging options for this light? It did not come with any of the original hanging hardware.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only start with 6 and move up to 8 over a few months or use the 1 led bar in place of the last 2 bulbs, just dont want to bleach anything. I think people have diy a few mounting options for the fixture, i will see if i can find something

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know any hanging options for this light? It did not come with any of the original hanging hardware.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6 bulb 36" fixture weighs 18 lbs.. according to this;

Last edited:
OP
OP
NanoReefs

NanoReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably go with the ATI hanging kit since it is made for the fixture and then hang it to the ceiling.

OP
OP
NanoReefs

NanoReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have to get the power module adapter for the fans since it didn't come with it, so I might as well order both from the same website.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. After watching Tidal Garden's video about cheap hydrofarm agrobrite fixtures, I am considering buying the 2 foot 4 tube model, and replacing the bulbs with 2 coral plus, and 2 blue plus bulbs. This option will come out to less than 200 dollars. I will be hanging this fixture over a RSR 250 for an acro dominant system. What is your opinion on this budget T5 setup?
It will work better than any LED fixture IMO. The only problem is that the fixture has no cooling system for the bulbs and the efficiency won't be as great as an ATI fixture. The bulbs will probably need to be changed earlier, if you want to keep the spectrum in check. It will probably get rusty soon too. The ATI will last your life time. You will pay for what you will get. BUT ist's going to be better than LEDs IMO.

Back