Budgeting a new tank?

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’ve had this 13.5 gallon reef of mine and honesty I’m already obsessed with the hobby, the common phrase I’ve heard of to as big as you can is something I am regretting not doing so I’m here to ask how much should I realistically budget for say a 30-40 gallon tank that I also give a 10-20 gallon sump/refugium, how much should I budget for lighting as I want to be able to grow most corals and such? Like I can’t say I did my fluval on a budget as I kept learning new things and buying random stuff I may or may not of needed.

really I’m just interested to know how much I should realistically save or if I will need ideas for do some tanks come pre drilled to install a sump into? Or will I have to figure out how to drill a tank? It’s all quite confusing to me haha. the whole process beyond the basics of saltwater is still a mystery to me.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If we are talking new everything $500-$1,000+ for the tank, stand, water, equipment and livestock! And an additional $200+ for good lighting. In the the first year or so but seriously throw the budget out or don’t upgrade! The other option would be to buy a used tank and equipment much cheaper but comes with risks. Look at Facebook Marketplace and the selling platform on here.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking new everything $500-$1,000+ for the tank, stand, water, equipment and livestock! And an additional $200+ for good lighting. In the the first year or so but seriously throw the budget out or don’t upgrade! The other option would be to buy a used tank and equipment much cheaper but comes with risks. Look at Facebook Marketplace and the selling platform on here.
oh my god I was expecting like 2,000$ I’m not sure why but I was just thinking it would be so expensive hahaha. Do you have any recommendations for lighting for that sized tank?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh my god I was expecting like 2,000$ I’m not sure why but I was just thinking it would be so expensive hahaha. Do you have any recommendations for lighting for that sized tank?
Oh okay then it sounds like you are being realistic lol. And that’s about right for a tank and stand bundle with sump from someone like Waterbox or RedSea after upgrades. The tank and stands themselves for that size are around $1,000. It really depends on how fancy you want to get haha. I love my AI Prime and I think two AI Prime’s would be good especially if it’s a long tank. I got a steal on mine and got it for $100 used vs $230 new. Or really any lighting by Echotech Marine/AI Prime (I say ignore the negative reviews…I love mine) or Kessil is also a good option but more expensive.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay then it sounds like you are being realistic lol. And that’s about right for a tank and stand bundle with sump from someone like Waterbox or RedSea after upgrades. The tank and stands themselves for that size are around $1,000. It really depends on how fancy you want to get haha. I love my AI Prime and I think two AI Prime’s would be good especially if it’s a long tank. I got a steal on mine and got it for $100 used vs $230 new. Or really any lighting by Echotech Marine/AI Prime (I say ignore the negative reviews…I love mine) or Kessil is also a good option but more expensive.
I don’t really much care for it being a fancy tank I just want a pre drilled tank with the overflow already installed and such as all this drilling and piping is quite obscure to me. I’m not exactly sure where to look for tanks like that though.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t really much care for it being a fancy tank I just want a pre drilled tank with the overflow already installed and such as all this drilling and piping is quite obscure to me. I’m not exactly sure where to look for tanks like that though.
Waterbox and RedSea are the leaders in the industry for a reason when it comes to AIO tanks and tanks with everything pre-assembled!

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a AIO build but sometimes with that your limited to space and only the stuff that comes with it not much room for upgrades. Check on OfferUp for people selling tanks. That's where I got my 55 gallon on. And somebody has a 150gallon long with stand pre plumbed by me for 350$ if I had the space believe me I would be on top of that deal! I would maybe check into a 40B as it has a 36 inch length very good foot print size. Give you that length for fish to swim. As for parts to if your looking to keep it a budget build look on the marketplace here on Reef2reef or ebay or OfferUp. People are always breaking down setups. Or if you want to go new then go new lol. And lighting really depends on what you want to grow what types of corals and things like that. Yes you can find some cheaper strip bars on Amazon but I spent the extra money and got a AI prime 16hd and have the app to set your channels to what you like and sunrise and sunset and ramp up and down so many features and packs a punch.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a AIO build but sometimes with that your limited to space and only the stuff that comes with it not much room for upgrades. Check on OfferUp for people selling tanks. That's where I got my 55 gallon on. And somebody has a 150gallon long with stand pre plumbed by me for 350$ if I had the space believe me I would be on top of that deal! I would maybe check into a 40B as it has a 36 inch length very good foot print size. Give you that length for fish to swim. As for parts to if your looking to keep it a budget build look on the marketplace here on Reef2reef or ebay or OfferUp. People are always breaking down setups. Or if you want to go new then go new lol. And lighting really depends on what you want to grow what types of corals and things like that. Yes you can find some cheaper strip bars on Amazon but I spent the extra money and got a AI prime 16hd and have the app to set your channels to what you like and sunrise and sunset and ramp up and down so many features and packs a punch.
Yeah I’m sort of getting this tank with a leopard Toby puffer in mine for fish so a 40 gallon is what I was looking at for footprint size, I didn’t even remember offerup existed so thanks for that idea!

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you will definitely won't that length than. And yes offerup is the best I think. So many things. I even found my new coral guy on there so I'm not paying the lfs crazy price for corals. Hope you find what your looking for and of course if you get from OfferUp do a water fill before and check the silicone. Happy reefing!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back