Bug in tank

dillon lif

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2022
Messages
28
Reaction score
7
Location
wilmingotn
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I found this little bug / insect thing I’m my saltwater tank. There are also much smaller white ones in the tank and it looks like its offspring. Anybody know what this is?

F4E0120A-93F4-42C8-95B0-DCFE770FEFE2.jpeg
 
Looks like an amphipod. The small white things are most likely copepods. The amphipod is most likely harmless and likely beneficial.
 
Amphipods are great additions to your clean up crew. If your tank is supporting them that's one sign that the tank is healthy.
 
I say most likely harmless because there are predatory amphipods. I’ve never had them but do a search and you’ll find information on them.
 
Free food for fish and coral but can annoy coral such as zoanthids
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new