Build thread for my 300 gallon mixed reef tank + filtration room

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a second thought you could put down a plywood sheet or two to put the stand on - that would distribute the weight over the whole area and minimize impact on carpet

OP
OP
DurbelMcDillett

DurbelMcDillett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! How you planning to level the stand? I’m sure that shims or other ways that lead to single pressure will leave marks in the long run. Maybe you could tile the area. As suggested you would not have to worry about spills either....
I would love to tile that space. I think my wife would panic if I was to cut up the carpet that we JUST laid down, haha. I'm guessing I'll just use shims to level the tank and risk crushing the carpet. The only time we'll move the aquarium is if we move houses, so I guess it will have to be the next home owners problem, haha!

OP
OP
DurbelMcDillett

DurbelMcDillett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to buy a new skil saw (never buy any tool with a battery, only corded tools for this guy). I used my new saw to plunge cut some doors out of the face of the aquarium stand. I attached the face, and then used some scrap wood to make floors. I didn't attach them permanently because I'm concerned with how heavy this thing is becoming. I'll just take out the floor every time I move the stand. Also, since I'm not putting my sump in the aquarium stand this will just be for storage and doesn't need to look good.

IMG_08017 copy.jpg IMG_0808 copy.jpg

OP
OP
DurbelMcDillett

DurbelMcDillett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a bit of progress over the holidays. I made the cabinet doors (much much easier than I expected). If you have a table saw you can make cabinet doors. I just followed this video and made quick work out of it. As expected, the cabinet looks 100% home made and I'm going to hate it every time I look at it (all I see are my mistakes). Next steps... correcting the spacing on the doors and then paint.

IMG_0990 copy.jpg IMG_0989 copy.jpg IMG_0988 copy.jpg IMG_0972 copy.jpg IMG_0971 copy.jpg IMG_0970 copy.jpg IMG_0971 copy.jpg IMG_0972 copy.jpg IMG_0988 copy.jpg IMG_0989 copy.jpg IMG_0990 copy.jpg IMG_0991 copy.jpg IMG_0992 copy.jpg IMG_0993 copy.jpg IMG_1012 copy.jpg IMG_1018 copy.jpg

OP
OP
DurbelMcDillett

DurbelMcDillett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting day! I prepped the area that will become the new home of the reef tank. First step was to move the stand down the stairs. Sadly I had to remove the door frame because the tank is 30" wide and so is the opening of door. It was just too snug. My friend came over to help with this project, what would we do without our friends? I had to take the doors off the stand to move it into place, but attached them back shortly after. I've hired a gun safe moving company to bring the aquarium down the stairs, I don't trust myself or anyone I know to move it! They are coming in the next day or two.

empty.jpg Tone.jpg without doors.jpg with doors.jpg

OP
OP
DurbelMcDillett

DurbelMcDillett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointing.... I've had two different moving companies come to my place and neither one of them was willing to move the aquarium down my stairs. One of the companies was even a gun safe moving company so I thought for sure they would be ok to move something this heavy. I have another company that is going to use a piano board to move it down the stairs in a few days. Fingers crossed!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Disappointing.... I've had two different moving companies come to my place and neither one of them was willing to move the aquarium down my stairs. One of the companies was even a gun safe moving company so I thought for sure they would be ok to move something this heavy. I have another company that is going to use a piano board to move it down the stairs in a few days. Fingers crossed!
Give you a tip -
Several years ago, I had same issue. I bought a 4 X 8" board, had Home depot cut it in half and then bought a piece of indoor outdoor carpet and stapled it to the wood board. I placed tank on the board and had two people at bottom and two on top and slowly glided the tank down the stairs . Two on bottom held the tank steady while the 2 on top supported tank and prevented it from slipping down too fast. Worked like a charm

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back