build thread Red Sea Reefer 350

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'll be back soon with an update on the evolution of my reef.
But in the meantime, I wanted to share with you the huge bump I had in my reefing adventure.

I currently have in my tank, a yellow tang, a fox face, a melanurus wrasse, 2 clowns, a blue green chromis, a royal gramma, a purple firefish, a cleaner shrimp, a 2 inches clam, and a big and nice clean up crew.

This weekend, there was a major storm in my area, and I had a power outage that lasted from Saturday night 5pm (my Apex warned me of the beginning) until Tuesday 11am. so more than 60 hours without power.
I do have a reefwave 45 that is connected to an icecap battery, but I'm not sure how long it can last. And, since I was at the cottage, I couldn't do anything but hope that it wouldn't last too long. On Sunday, I came back home, added a battery aerator, and crossed my fingers.

according to my Apex, the ph was down to 7.9 and the temp 67.4

Well, do you know what I lost in the adventure .....

Nothing, absolutely nothing, everything is still alive and doing well.
well, I probably lost some snails and a bit of my clean up crew, but otherwise, no fish, and no coral.
What seems to have suffered the most is a goniopora that looks a bit mad, but it will recover.
I was expecting the worst, but NOTHING.
Thanks to my back up battery and my aerator, I am convinced that this is what saved my reef.
If you don't have any of these, run and get them before it's too late.

Now, I'll be back soon with an update of my system and some pictures

Glad all is well. My tanks got down to 67 in a winter storm power outage last year and every thing survived, luckily.

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update june 1st 2022

It took me about 1 years and a half to stabilize the system, it was long mainly because I started with dry rock, with no life on it.
The various strains of bacteria were introduced by the additions of Dr. Tim and microbacter, and probably also on the coral plugs.
I had an episode of cyano that lasted 4-5 months, it disappeared with regular water changes and the addition of microbacter clean and microbacter 7, which I continue to dose a small amount once a week.

On the equipment side, I added a red sea reef led 90 (total 3)
a booster pump for osmosis, a battery back up on the reef wave, a trident. a clairview lid top
a DDR for Alk and CA
a 2nd EB832, a 2nd heater as backup.
an air pump in case of power failure

the lighting is set 1 hour up, 10 hours 100% blue, 75% white 1 hour down for a total of 12h

The first corals I added after a few months are almost all dead, caused mainly beacuse my water was too poor in nutrients. The nitrate and phosphate parameters were all way too low. I managed to stabilize by adding neophos and neonitro. and by adding fish, which I have to feed more and which 'pollute' more. and etc
eventually I will stop adding neophos and neonitro, but for now it is still necessary

I had transferred the corals from my old tank, which are all dead, except for a candy cane that resurrected and grew since then (I was about to throw it away). I also have some green zoas, a policipora and some gsp that I saved.

as of january 2022, i started to seriously add frags.
for now i have:

black cherry blue eyes zooanthis
goniopora blue green tips
neon green polyp montipora
blue eyes blonde ***** zoa
orange mushroom
gorgonian
red riding hood mushroom
King midas zoa
1acan lord
red polyp green montipora
Forest fire digitata
candy apple green zoas
tangerine juice leptoseris
pipe organ
2encrusting goniopora
Fruit punch favia
duncan
watermelon favia
pink acan
Aussie hammer
maxima clam (2")
Milepora
ice fire enchinata
Master mango tenuis
Hoeksemia
Rainbow loom
Tortusa
and 2 other sps which I don't know the name

And all these grow very well, the colors are beautiful.

My fun is to see them grow, so I prefer frags to full colonies. So I have to add some acans, maybe one or 2 mush and coral plate and then I sit and watch it grow.

I have 2 golden rules that I respect religiously, 1) weekly water changes of +- 5% and, and, even if I was very careful, I started with dry rock to avoid pests, and I dip all the corals, I still saw 3-4 aptaisias appear. my rule for that is to kill them as soon as I see them, even if it's midnight. I don't want to give them another minute, and so far it works, because I've only seen 3-4 that I've killed (using joe juice) and they don't grow back.

On the fish side I have:
2 clowns + anemone
1 melanurus wrasse
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang (note for the tang police, he is very small, actualy less than 2 inch, i plan tu keep him 2-3 years maximum)
1 blue green chromis
1 purple firefish
1 royal gramma
1 foxface
1 cleaner shrimp
clean up crew

i will add some pictures tonight

Mistyb421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update june 1st 2022

It took me about 1 years and a half to stabilize the system, it was long mainly because I started with dry rock, with no life on it.
The various strains of bacteria were introduced by the additions of Dr. Tim and microbacter, and probably also on the coral plugs.
I had an episode of cyano that lasted 4-5 months, it disappeared with regular water changes and the addition of microbacter clean and microbacter 7, which I continue to dose a small amount once a week.

On the equipment side, I added a red sea reef led 90 (total 3)
a booster pump for osmosis, a battery back up on the reef wave, a trident. a clairview lid top
a DDR for Alk and CA
a 2nd EB832, a 2nd heater as backup.
an air pump in case of power failure

the lighting is set 1 hour up, 10 hours 100% blue, 75% white 1 hour down for a total of 12h

The first corals I added after a few months are almost all dead, caused mainly beacuse my water was too poor in nutrients. The nitrate and phosphate parameters were all way too low. I managed to stabilize by adding neophos and neonitro. and by adding fish, which I have to feed more and which 'pollute' more. and etc
eventually I will stop adding neophos and neonitro, but for now it is still necessary

I had transferred the corals from my old tank, which are all dead, except for a candy cane that resurrected and grew since then (I was about to throw it away). I also have some green zoas, a policipora and some gsp that I saved.

as of january 2022, i started to seriously add frags.
for now i have:

black cherry blue eyes zooanthis
goniopora blue green tips
neon green polyp montipora
blue eyes blonde ***** zoa
orange mushroom
gorgonian
red riding hood mushroom
King midas zoa
1acan lord
red polyp green montipora
Forest fire digitata
candy apple green zoas
tangerine juice leptoseris
pipe organ
2encrusting goniopora
Fruit punch favia
duncan
watermelon favia
pink acan
Aussie hammer
maxima clam (2")
Milepora
ice fire enchinata
Master mango tenuis
Hoeksemia
Rainbow loom
Tortusa
and 2 other sps which I don't know the name

And all these grow very well, the colors are beautiful.

My fun is to see them grow, so I prefer frags to full colonies. So I have to add some acans, maybe one or 2 mush and coral plate and then I sit and watch it grow.

I have 2 golden rules that I respect religiously, 1) weekly water changes of +- 5% and, and, even if I was very careful, I started with dry rock to avoid pests, and I dip all the corals, I still saw 3-4 aptaisias appear. my rule for that is to kill them as soon as I see them, even if it's midnight. I don't want to give them another minute, and so far it works, because I've only seen 3-4 that I've killed (using joe juice) and they don't grow back.

On the fish side I have:
2 clowns + anemone
1 melanurus wrasse
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang (note for the tang police, he is very small, actualy less than 2 inch, i plan tu keep him 2-3 years maximum)
1 blue green chromis
1 purple firefish
1 royal gramma
1 foxface
1 cleaner shrimp
clean up crew

i will add some pictures tonight
Pictures? Updates?

OP
OP
Beam

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I'm not sure if I should tell this here, or start another post? please let me know if I'm in the wrong place.

but, i'd like to tell you about my last difficult moment in reefing.

last september, while on vacation out of the country, my tank crashed.

a little (a lot) my fault. one evening, i saw on the Apex that the ALK was a little low, so i gave the pump a shot, putting it ON for about a minute, but, when it came time to put it back on auto, it stayed ON by mistake, i have the impression that my command didn't go through, thanks to the crappy internet at the hotel.

the entire ALK liquid container has been emptied into the tank, so i messed up my settings, and when i got back, i was stuck with dynoflagelées

another really strange thing is that i live in a rural area, and at the end of the summer, they spread manure on the farmland in the area, sometimes it smells really bad for a few days
i have a hose that goes outside and is connected to the intake of my skimmer, which i had left in place during my vacations, can you imagine that when i came back, my flipper that had stayed in the tank, smelled of manure, but really intense (not my water though) could it have helped crash my tank or help the dinos? Probably.

so, i lost almost all my corals, except for a few zoas, i lost shrimps and snails. i fortunately saved all my fish and my clam.
i started by restoring my parameters over a few weeks, but the dino remained. i stopped water changes and started adding bacteria (microbacter 7) that helped, but it was far from being won, i reduced the photoperiod. which also helped.

And, finally, after 6 months of battling, at a time when the dinos had dwindled considerably, I decided to buy a UV, telling myself that if it didn't work, I'd either do a reset or close the aquarium.

but today, I think I can say I've won my battle with the dinos, they’re 99% gone, well, how satisfying it is to look at a clean tank, those of you who have been there surely remember the feeling of great satisfaction.

I haven't completely won yet, there's still some algae on the rocks, but it's disappearing gradually, the improvements are visible day by day.

my zoas, which had been 3/4 closed for months, are starting to open up again, I've taken a chance on some cheap corals, and they're holding up well, I've got a duncan, a candy cane, and a Monti frag, all of which have been doing well for a few weeks now. the duncan had a hard time at first, but it's getting better every day.

I even took a chance with a small frag of birdnest, and it is doing very well, the colors have remained beautiful, and the polyps are expanding.

I think I'm going to go frag hunting in the next few weeks.

IMG_2958 - copie.jpeg IMG_2961 - copie.jpeg IMG_2963 - copie.jpeg IMG_2966 - copie.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back