Building A Stand

ksr1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and nice stands! Now all I need is a DIFM thread (Do It For Me) or maybe DIFMP (w/ a please at the end)

OP
OP
ReefKeeper09

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Next is my canopy. I am going to make it similar to my stand. I just have to figure out how I am going to do the door part. . . Hmm. . .

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about leaks!
They will happen.
If you can, make the bottom of your stand a "tub" with the sides at least a 2X4 high. Then silicone the corners and varnish over. I had a skimmer overflow in my sump, and had an inch of water in my stand. Turkey basted it out, dried with a towel, everything was fine and no water on the carpet!

You will be gald you did this. I promise.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper09

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought about that before hand. That is why I did this. There is a front piece I haven't put on yet.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391126087092.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391126087092.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 197

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand build fo a 70 gal rimless

IMG_0143.jpg

2X4 rugged constuction with doubled uprights for rigidity and maximum clearance (no center support needed). The stand is roughly 29"HX31"WX31"L
IMG_0148.jpg

Additional cross beam added for support near bulkhead cutouts. Bottom is 3/4" plywood.
IMG_0151.jpg

3/4" backplate to add stability, cutouts for ventilation in the back, and cutouts for the bulkheads on the top. All stanless steel screws used. No screwheads visable from the exterior when the doors are closed or exposed to the humid interior.
IMG_0163.jpg

Note that the bottom was all siliconed with paintable silicone for water containment (THANK GOD). Doors have magnetic latches. Total weight of he stand is 100 pounds+. I stained all external surfaces and applied two coats of varnish to all surfaces.
IMAG0103.jpg

Finished Aquarium and stand!

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some nice looking stands in this thread, love the 2 side doors on the cube stand above..

here's mine, it's pretty basic, I was going for a sleek black look (like a biocube stand).. the left door is a tad crooked, would be a simple fix but I'm too lazy to fix it.. I get a little light spill with the fuge light on, still thinking of a way to get rid of that..

Last edited:

Reefkeeper68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What program did you draw your stand design in? I am looking for something basic to draw up some plans for just a canopy. I have a store bought stand that I've had for three years and I'm tired of propping a board across the front to block the light glare. :)

Thanks!

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to build this with 2x4s but when I went to skin it with oak I decided the 3/4" oak is strong enough. This stand is based on the stand built by Marino420td on RC.

image.jpg

I used 2x2 oak to reinforce
image.jpg

One more layer of mahogany stain and then it'll be ready for a few coats or polyurethane.
image.jpg

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to acheive that nice black look? Just paint?

Are you talking to me?

I used two layers of kilz sealer and two coats of semi gloss latex.. Water doesn't soak in at all.. I'm pretty happy with the paint. I didn't want shiny and I didn't want flat. I think it turned out well.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to build this with 2x4s but when I went to skin it with oak I decided the 3/4" oak is strong enough. This stand is based on the stand built by Marino420td on RC.

image.jpg

I used 2x2 oak to reinforce
image.jpg

One more layer of mahogany stain and then it'll be ready for a few coats or polyurethane.
image.jpg

This is beautiful

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the thread where this image came from?
I think it had the "formula" for calculating the amount of wood you need.

Stand.jpg

austinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to skin/pain this?

Hey KoleTang,

Info is in my build thread in my signature, but short story is Maple Cabinet grade sanded down smooth then primed with Kilz, followed by paint then Varathane top coat and then wet sanded followed by buffing with automotive polishes.

All I have left to do is attach the top trim once I get my tank, still deciding on what to use, either same wood (means I have to repeat the steps I have done already) or thinking a metal trim to match the coffee table i designed the stand to look like.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey KoleTang,

Info is in my build thread in my signature, but short story is Maple Cabinet grade sanded down smooth then primed with Kilz, followed by paint then Varathane top coat and then wet sanded followed by buffing with automotive polishes.

All I have left to do is attach the top trim once I get my tank, still deciding on what to use, either same wood (means I have to repeat the steps I have done already) or thinking a metal trim to match the coffee table i designed the stand to look like.

Thank you, I'll check out the thread.

It's a slick looking stand. Looks like Elos made it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back