Building a sump

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2019
Messages
62
Reaction score
28
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 55 gallon display tank and I’ve been using a mechanical filter, changing it often. I want to build a sump for my tank and I have a 20 gallon tank that’s been sitting around. Could I use the 20 gal for my sump? Also is there any suggestions on building my sump and what should go in it? Still figuring this out.
Thank you in advance!
 
So I have a 55 gallon display tank and I’ve been using a mechanical filter, changing it often. I want to build a sump for my tank and I have a 20 gallon tank that’s been sitting around. Could I use the 20 gal for my sump? Also is there any suggestions on building my sump and what should go in it? Still figuring this out.
Thank you in advance!
Building your own sump is a great idea. But before we get to the sump we need to research a “Overflow box” this box will be your method of transport for, the display tank water to travel from the top down to the sump below.
 
Make sure your stand can properly fit and support the 20 gallon sumo below. AFAIK, both a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon are 12” in the fore to aft dimension.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new