TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Reefsquadleaders
#reefsquad

Neptune Skys. Running shown program. I tried this we system came back on line. Basically it's AB+ with reduced whites.

Par around top of rock work currently ranges at 220-300

Since rebuilding the tank, I switch from t5 hybrid to these. I have four Sky's, mounted 10" above waterline.

Tank restarted Nov 5th. Sps frags and colonies went back in around Dec 15th. Since moving sps back into tank, things were decent for a few weeks then I got some burnt tips and larger colonies were either greening out. Or browning out. And few of the colonies have the white filament stringing from them during mid day lighting. This has been going on for

What are some causes of this?

- I don't recall any alk swings
- My phosphates have sat in ulr for awhile. I've since been trying to get them back up. I'm paying more attention to it. I'm overfeeding and dosing and it barely budges up.
- Is the tank still to new? ( I did cycle rock for 6 months prior to rescape. So it's not a cycle issue)
- ICP test showed the following in images. Bromide high, Phos low
- I dose AB+

Current parameters are
Cal- 495
Mag- 1380
Alk- 9
N- 11.1
P- .011

One photo shows same colony from what it use to look like to now. And others with burnt tips. Only a 1/3 of sps burnt. No correlation to placement in the tank.

IMG_20220129_152500.jpg received_483021210120919.jpeg received_1130140987727499.jpeg received_333928305309579.jpeg Screenshot_20220129-152615_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220129-152629_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220129-065612_APEX Fusion.jpg Screenshot_20220129-065553_APEX Fusion.jpg

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread out there that indicates if you have high PAR and reasonably decent alkalinity that if you dont keep your nitrates up...the tips grow too fast making the coral flesh very thin and susceptible to burning. I have experienced same thing...i knocked down my lighting to 30% on my radions and it stopped

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread out there that indicates if you have high PAR and reasonably decent alkalinity that if you dont keep your nitrates up...the tips grow too fast making the coral flesh very thin and susceptible to burning. I have experienced same thing...i knocked down my lighting to 30% on my radions and it stopped
Wasn't to fast of growth. Because the were in a holding system. Then transfered back to display once the front panel was changed. The sps stayed stunned without growth for the last while. Then this happened. Maybe heavily reducing light might help.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second your own suspicion of "new tank syndrome". But it could be the result of deficient PO4 some weeks back. You don't need much, but a moment of zero is a really bad thing for sticks.

If the rock is PO4 depleted, it will continue to bind the PO4 you are dosing for a good long while. I went through a couple liters of DIY phosphates before I could hold a measurable level.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me some weeks ago. Alk was stable but PO4 dropped low, 0.02 from typically 0.05-0.1, and I got mucus strings on several acros and some got burnt tips. I reduced light and dosed PO4 to 0.06.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second your own suspicion of "new tank syndrome". But it could be the result of deficient PO4 some weeks back. You don't need much, but a moment of zero is a really bad thing for sticks.

If the rock is PO4 depleted, it will continue to bind the PO4 you are dosing for a good long while. I went through a couple liters of DIY phosphates before I could hold a measurable level.
Wish I could stop this. Now my colony of wwc terra red has a couple tips that only started in the last week or so. It's 10" x 8" so I'm hoping it doesn't turn for the worst.

All parameters havnt moved, for the exception of my Po4 was .20 last night. I knocked back my feedings. I'm not sure how it got that high.

Aside from the tips of one of the colonies above. I also noticed on the underside of all branches were also missing flesh. Thought that was odd. Thought on that? To little light? Or is this still a alk and Po4 unbalance do you think.

If it makes any difference, I use ESV 2 part, and coral pro salt.

#reefsquad

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if its the problem but your light settings look very low to me, especially the white, and if you mean 0.20 (or did you mean 0.02) phosphate that’s high. if it’s 0.02 that’s very good.

Alkalinity at 9 is ok, maybe slight higher than I would keep around 8.5 but that’s just playing with numbers, so I wouldn’t think that would be an issue

The SPS I have all thrive at high light intensity, not low, so if it were me I would turn the lights up over a period of days and see if that helps.

Also check the corals aren’t being blasted by excessive flow

This is what I use in my S650 if it’s any use 9am to 10pm and something similar in my large tank

C02A34C9-5170-49D2-91A4-4CCCA5BEA43B.jpeg

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still confused. Before I had done panel change on the display, I use to be able to grow sps like it were a weed. Now I loose piece after piece. Maybe it's time to add T5s with the Sky's.

What would make calcium not drop?

It's been off for almost three weeks and hasn't bugged. It was floating Around 480 and I was attempting to bring it down slightly.

Could I still be in new tank syndrom phase? I find coraline algae hasn't really taken off yet either, although you can see it in the system.

And some sps still gets burnt tips. High placement nothing, but a couple have done it again in mid placement. I'm getting frustrated.

Parameters
Cal 480
Alk 8.4
Mag 1400
Nitrate 6.2
Phos .15
Ph 8.13

#reefsquad
#reefsquadleader

Last edited:

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had similar issues with almost the exact parameters you have. I dropped alkalinity down to 7.5 to stop the burnt tips. No one can seem to explain why phosphate of .15, nitrate of >10ppm, and alkalinity of 8 was causing burnt tips. I've added new colonies since this has happened to me and zero burnt tips as the alk has held steady at 7.5. I've also avoid all GFO use as this seemed to aggravate the burnt tips even more.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back