Buying clownfish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GrizzReacts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time buying fish online and cultivated reef has the best prices when it comes to clowns. Has anyone ever had any problems with getting their fish shipped? Any feedback would be helpful

tchan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 3 clowns from them. 2 black storms and 1 orange storm. All 3 came in very small but active. They don’t eat any food offered the 1st few days. Now they are eating flakes. I was planning to pair up the black storm, but they are too small just wondering around the frag tank. For the price I paid, it’s not worth it. I can buy a nice size paired up black storm for $50 more from another vendor.

Cultivated Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,

Ah yes getting larger captive clowns is getting more and more difficult. Currently we can only get smalls (~1.25") from the breeder due to limited availability. It is good to realize that when we are talking about buying captive raised clowns, as they reach the medium of size of about 1.5" some of them will have turned to female. And the large size of 1.75" are basically all female. So if you are looking for a "pair" it really is in your best interest to make sure at least one of them is a small size. Otherwise you can end up with 2 females.

Sometimes newly shipped fish take a few days to start eating other times they start immediately. That is typical behavior for them. I would just caution you if you buy from another vendor to make sure they are either fully quarantined or that you plan to quarantine them. There are lot of diseases etc with wild fish and often times vendors will contaminate their healthy captive fish by keeping them in the same water as wild fish.

Thanks,
Cultivated Reef

OP
OP
GrizzReacts

GrizzReacts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Ah yes getting larger captive clowns is getting more and more difficult. Currently we can only get smalls (~1.25") from the breeder due to limited availability. It is good to realize that when we are talking about buying captive raised clowns, as they reach the medium of size of about 1.5" some of them will have turned to female. And the large size of 1.75" are basically all female. So if you are looking for a "pair" it really is in your best interest to make sure at least one of them is a small size. Otherwise you can end up with 2 females.

Sometimes newly shipped fish take a few days to start eating other times they start immediately. That is typical behavior for them. I would just caution you if you buy from another vendor to make sure they are either fully quarantined or that you plan to quarantine them. There are lot of diseases etc with wild fish and often times vendors will contaminate their healthy captive fish by keeping them in the same water as wild fish.

Thanks,
Cultivated Reef
Thanks for the feed back once my tank is cycled I will be putting my order in with you guys

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back