C02 SCRUB-A-DUB-DUBBING????? ANYONE??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Truth is, I am never really at a point of stasis up here, just sitting back idle or twiddling my thumbs. Even when things are going good, I can't seem to help tinkering with "stuff" to some extent.

So, last week I decided to turn my fresh air intake, dust/carbon filter, into a c02 scrubber and see what happens. I've been tinkering with ph a bit lately mostly in an effort to flatten my curve a little. My daily swing can get somewhat large. Lately from 7.89 int to 8.38. With that in mind I added a bypass that opens up when the ph hits 8.0 then closes back up when out drops to 7.8 activating the scrubber again. So ultimately it only runs at night to help keep ph from going below 7.8. I should add that I have also split up the duties of my calcium reactor and Kalk reactor. Calcium reactor only runs during the day and the kalk takes over at night. This actually helped a lot too.

But as far as the scrubber goes, I must say I like it. Ph went up a little for sure compared to when using just the fresh air alone, and the media itself has lasted longer than I was expecting for sure. Which is always good.

So how about it. Any one running a scrubber, and if so what do you think? Have you seen any visible, obvious undeniable effects in the tank or with your coral at all since it went online? I'd love to hear some insights from the real world.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Here's a snapshot of the last week with the scrubber running as described, active at night and bypassed most of the day. a couple of those jumps are when I added a little two part at the end of the day to maintain alk. Honestly I like it a lot. Going to keep it online for the foreseeable future.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 1.29.34 PM.png

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a scrubber for a few years. We live in Texas where you can only open the windows for about 5 days a year. In my house there are 3 adults and 4 dogs so the C02 levels are pretty high. My PH was running between 7.8 and 8.0 even with the scrubber. I'm now dosing Kalk also which has helped to boost my PH. I wish the media for the scrubber wasn't quite so expensive.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have been running a scrubber (basic BRS) through my skimmer and my PH fluctuates like this:
1AB5AFBF-4E79-4EFF-ADA3-ADC2626CB182.png

As background I’m next door in MN and tank is in basement. This swing is with a few window cracked. When closed up it sits between 8.2-8.3.

I’ve been using this about 10 mos and have noticed a lot of growth in my more mature colonies. Here is one colony with some growth. First pic is May 29 2021 and second pic is Sept 20 2022. It’s not the size of a volleyball.
56947CFB-BBF2-4C0F-90D8-0739B5E84695.png

3F17F6B8-22F6-4958-A793-83D6723F791B.jpeg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been running a scrubber for a few years. We live in Texas where you can only open the windows for about 5 days a year. In my house there are 3 adults and 4 dogs so the C02 levels are pretty high. My PH was running between 7.8 and 8.0 even with the scrubber. I'm now dosing Kalk also which has helped to boost my PH. I wish the media for the scrubber wasn't quite so expensive.
I had a guy comment on my IG post about getting media in bulk from a place called Jor vet not familiar at all with it but its may be worth looking into

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have been running a scrubber (basic BRS) through my skimmer and my PH fluctuates like this:

As background I’m next door in MN and tank is in basement. This swing is with a few window cracked. When closed up it sits between 8.2-8.3.

I’ve been using this about 10 mos and have noticed a lot of growth in my more mature colonies. Here is one colony with some growth. First pic is May 29 2021 and second pic is Sept 20 2022. It’s not the size of a volleyball.

wow! thats exceptional! what a testament to higher ph and growth rates. thanks fore the post

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow! thats exceptional! what a testament to higher ph and growth rates. thanks fore the post
Thanks Adam. Notice your Shaggy Stag next to it? Got that from you beginning of June I think and its over tripled in size. But just keeps getting taller!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Adam. Notice your Shaggy Stag next to it? Got that from you beginning of June I think and its over tripled in size. But just keeps getting taller!
Excellent yes! That stag starts of a little sluggish but once you hit critical mass it just takes off. It’s wonderful and the tips turn super deep blue even. Love that thing.

incredible job there!

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a guy comment on my IG post about getting media in bulk from a place called Jor vet not familiar at all with it but its may be worth looking into
Jorvet is the name of the company that produces the media. I get it from a place called MedVet. It's around $15 for a 3 lb bag. It's certainly more cost efficient to buy it in bulk.

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m in Minnesota and my tank is in the basement… my media last about a week or less. Are you recirculating it?

Last edited:

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a recirc ring from fish of hex to fit my reef octo skimmer, seems to help it last longer. My home is a co2 tent with 2 adults, 1 child, and 3 great danes. I would definitely benefit from a whole home esv but can’t convince the wife we need one just for coral growth!

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a recirculating scrubber through my skimmer and it definitely helps my ph. Being in SWFL I pretty much live in a humid swamp lol so not much opportunity for open doors or windows. I would be lucky to have it break 8.1 throughout the day. I tried running a line outside to feed my skimmer but didn’t get much benefit, then I hooked that line to the scrubber and it helped but the biggest increase I have seen was recirculating the air from the skimmer through the scrubber. Now my swing is about 8.0-8.1 to 8.3-8.4 throughout the day.

I use the CDX media which lasts about a month for me recirculating, was about 2 weeks with the fresh air. I have seen the Jor Vet media does anyone know how it co pares to the CDX?

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I run a recirculating scrubber through my skimmer and it definitely helps my ph. Being in SWFL I pretty much live in a humid swamp lol so not much opportunity for open doors or windows. I would be lucky to have it break 8.1 throughout the day. I tried running a line outside to feed my skimmer but didn’t get much benefit, then I hooked that line to the scrubber and it helped but the biggest increase I have seen was recirculating the air from the skimmer through the scrubber. Now my swing is about 8.0-8.1 to 8.3-8.4 throughout the day.

I use the CDX media which lasts about a month for me recirculating, was about 2 weeks with the fresh air. I have seen the Jor Vet media does anyone know how it co pares to the CDX?

My scrubber has been running for a few months on my IM40 (modified to have a sump), im planning to also run its on my RS 425XL (but that tank is like 7.8-almost 8 naturally so im not sure if Im going to do it yet, The im40 used to be like 7.6-7.8(!!), everything was fine, but now its like 7.95-8.1ish very stable..

I really dont know if it makes any difference, but my IM40 has a ton more corals in it than the 425, and feel like they are growing better/happier ;)

I bought 5 bags direct from JorVet. only $8.40 a bag, but shipping was ok when I bought 5:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back