Ca deposits without adding Ca?

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can get calcium deposits, if you add excess Ca or add it too quickly, but why would I be getting calcium deposits without adding anything to the tank? I'm using Reef Crystals, and have normal water quality, as far as I can tell. Can someone tell me what might be going on? Could the small, white deposits be something other than Ca? Thanks in advance.

Reef Crystals (never added anything to tank, other than some coral food!)
SG: 1.025
Ca: 480
Mag: 1350
pH: 8.2
Alk: 10.7
Temp: 76
NH3,N02,N03, Po4, Si: undetectable
Livestock: candy cane, cauliflower, 10 small snails

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pictures of the deposits in question?

OP
OP
P

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pictures of the deposits in question?

Sorry, I didn't think they'd come out well on a photo, but it actually shows pretty clearly. The only additives have been Reef Snow, every third day. No Ca or Alk additives at all.

deposits.JPG

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely that isnt calcium carbonate, but it could be. Seawater is already supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate, and Reef Crystals has both more calcium and more carbonate than does natural seawater, making precipitation even more likely.

OP
OP
P

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely that isnt calcium carbonate, but it could be. Seawater is already supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate, and Reef Crystals has both more calcium and more carbonate than does natural seawater, making precipitation even more likely.

Ok, thanks for the input. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't think they'd come out well on a photo, but it actually shows pretty clearly. The only additives have been Reef Snow, every third day. No Ca or Alk additives at all.

deposits.JPG
I don't think that those are calcium deposits. Although its possible. Most likley tiny spirorbid worms. These are a good thing though, means you have a healthy system.
whitespot1-jpg.14869

OP
OP
P

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would they be hard, and encrusted, if they're worms of some kind? Whatever I have is pretty hard to pick off with a fingernail. Glad to hear it might not be Ca deposits - I was scratching my head on that one!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would they be hard, and encrusted, if they're worms of some kind? Whatever I have is pretty hard to pick off with a fingernail. Glad to hear it might not be Ca deposits - I was scratching my head on that one!

There are various organisms it might be, and those organisms may be depositing calcium carbonate skeletons/coverings. I'd just keep monitoring. :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they attach themselfs, so they'll have to be scraped off, but i'd leave them.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks guys. Never imagined it could be a bloom of some kind. Lots to learn! Thank you for all the input.
I had a bunch of these on the output spout of my skimmer, so I had a general idea lol.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back