Cabbage leather coral dying or not? Please help

Ryan-Uy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this green cabbage leather coral for 1 year now and all of sudden it has white spots over it and has some small holes in it. Earlier I found some small starfish(forgot there name) on it and I was wondering if it was from that. The tank was also over heating to 82 degrees F. Could that also be the reason. Please help!
image.jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s stressed and angry. Get your temps back down and make sure to do a few water change es. These leathers are very hard to kill. I honestly think it has a good chance of bouncing back.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82 is not that hot. Probably stress, is it new? It's unlikely the starfish caused it. Without further information hard to make any assumptions but these guys are very resilient, as long as nothing is drastically out of the range of normal in your tank it will probably be fine.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm betting it will bounce back too. I had a crash and mine looked about like that.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green cabbage leather that survived a cataclysmic event, recently shriveled up and I figured it was shedding. Three months later it was still shriveled and lost most of the zooxanthellae. I found some webbing (looked like a tunnel spider sack) on the rock it was on. So I took it out to do some investigating. I peeled the coral partway off the rock chasing this line of webbing and inside was an ugly skinny looking bristle worm type creature.
I plucked it out and the coral has since recovered and gone back to it's fabulous self and is growing like mad again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s stressed and angry. Get your temps back down and make sure to do a few water change es. These leathers are very hard to kill. I honestly think it has a good chance of bouncing back.
Unhappy fellow. Add water flow and also add aminos and iodine such as lugol’s to water. Gently blow on it also with turkey baster to blow of any sediment on it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back