OP
OP
lafarrow

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you resident swamp witch. The top of the 1800 is close to 6 feet so getting to the bottom and knowing you have to go down 2 feet (24") is a valid concern. My step ladder has served me well and I have not had to do a lot of deep diving so I have not suffered as others might but it is a deep tank. I love it and telling folks I have a coffin sized tank always gets a reaction.

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like your Journal and everything you've done very interesting can't wait to see how things turn out.

OP
OP
lafarrow

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had hoped to have more fish at this point but we all know about shipping delays and record freezes and shipping nightmares. I at least got my first four in.
IMG_2273.jpeg

They have been kicking around the back corner for a bit. I had hoped they would be more adventurous but alas, not so far. I also got a nice cleaner shrimp
IMG_2277.jpeg

He evicted the big crab out of the grotto. I did not expect that. His partner did not make it but Dr. Reef is gonna hook me up with a replacement when my second batch o fish come in. Hopefully soon since I am ready for some fishy life!

One of my snails (I believe a cerith) laid some eggs.
IMG_2271.jpeg

On the front glass so I have tried not to scrape the glass around them and see what happens,
I also noticed some weird sand clumping which I believe is from my fighting conchs. It is like a cat turd in a cat box, or a coconut cookie. They break apart if handled and are just loosely held together. Very odd. Not sure if it is digestive/sexual/by-product /other at this point. I've been very hands-off on my sand for a bit to see how the snails/conchs do. The experiment may be coming to a close since they may be helping but are incapable of going it alone!

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

I also saw a nudibranch when i went to move my glass cleaner today. Glad to know she is still in there working for me.
IMG_2279.jpeg

My medusa worms have not been an issue. I occasionally see one in the display tank but for the most part they stay in my macro algae. I ordered some Ulva to go with the the red ogo and they seem compatible. The Ulva is really taking off. I will need to harvest again shortly. Pre stir:
IMG_2284.jpeg

Post stir:
IMG_2285.jpeg

My Marine Pure bricks seem to be doing well and I have enjoyed the tank so far. My patience is running out so I really hope my second cleaner shrimp, cardinal fish, chromis, mimic lemon peel and blue hippo tangs and melanarus wrasse get here soon. Looking for that color and pop of fish.

My Clearview lid arrived! I mismeasured by 1/8" on 6 feet so I had to have it adjusted but that was no problem and the took care of me right away. Looks super sharp.

IMG_2288.jpeg

Fits super snug, no gaps whatsoever. Glad I got the 2 sections. Easy to take off 1/2 to take water samples clean or whatever you need to do.
Still waiting for coraline like Gadot but I do enjoy the rituals of tank keeping.

Go the second RODI membrane and I should have done that sooner. Can fill the ATO and my mixing station twice as fast. My unit is now the 150gpd.

I struggled like everyone else with the Tropic Marin slat mix supply chain issues and had to do an Instant Ocean water change but just got my 200 gal bucket from BRS sO I should be set for a bit. I won't wait so long to order my shipment next time. Just a week off but a stressful week and I have minimal life in my tank so it is not as critical.

I'm still dosing pods and phyto from AlgaeBarn and have been eyeballing a clam. I wanted one from the start and even have a spot for him/her. Very boring current status pictures:
IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good I can't wait to get that far. Did u see Tidalgardens Reef in the tank they are cycling you could use a lawnmower lol here's a link to the video if you have not watched it.
How did you get the Medusa worms I think u mentioned them but can't remember.
I'm still dosing pods and phyto from AlgaeBarn and have been eyeballing a clam. I wanted one from the start and even have a spot for him/her. Very boring current status pictures:
Could you tell me the plan you had when cycling and using Algae Barn and using there products I am interested but at the same time the $ factor comes in. Don't get me wrong I want to do the best I can and they have great stuff and I have worked with them before for my Fuge. The Ulva grew real good for me but I had a problem of it getting to my return pump. That's why I have been sticking with Cheato but I agree with you as far as having different kinds. Forgot his name I want to say Greg from Algae Barn but I'm not sure but he was quartering his sump up for different algae's, I tried it and didn't have much luck.
Anyway thx for sharing and your tops look great even though I hate them hope mine work

OP
OP
lafarrow

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where the medusa worms came from - invert water / phyto water / algae water? Unknown. Decided not to eradicate and see what happens. So far not much. They are detritovores or so it seems.

Thanks for the Tidal link - I love that guy.

My cycling was Dr. Tims with macro algae shortly thereafter. Never had the wild green hair algae stage as a result. I'm keeping an eye on the macro so we'll see on that front as well. i forgot I had a bit of cheat in there but it has stayed small and not done a lot. I think all three of them work together just fine.

BoardGameReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues filling the ATO reservoir? I have a very similar situation as you (tank will be going in a recessed area in the wall with about 8 inches of clearance on either side) and am debating Cade vs custom but I am worried filling the ATO will be a pain. Also curious how you are dealing with the electronic panel being only partially accessible due to the side door that cannot fully open. Does it open enough for you to be able to access the entire panel?

OP
OP
lafarrow

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO is no issue. The whole back lid comes off. I run an RODI line directly to it with a valve on the end to shut it off. Takes a couple hours on the weekend. Roll the hose up, put the lid back on and its done.

The side door access. I knew the space I was going in was going to limit that. It only opens a quarter of the way. I can access all outlets/switches etc. Not as easy as the ATO but I set it up and don't mess with it often. The sight glass for the ATO is also on that side and I debated a mirror and then decided to go with a cork and a tube that floated out of the top and then did away with it all once I figured out my evaporation I just drop a stick in every once in a while to make sure nothing is amiss. Like an old fuel stick. Wet mark says how many days I have left.

I don't open the other side at all so I could have shifted the tank over to give myself more access on the electric panel but wanted the tank centered and now that it is full it is not getting moved!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Waiting on the post holiday shipping log jam to clear so I can put in some fish. I am pleased to report, however, that my redo ogo is still kicking. Here is a pic just short of 1 month post introduction.
IMG_2054.jpeg

I believe it is also knocking my nitrates down ever so slowly. I've gone from over 50 to down to 10-12 with out a water change. Just letting the macro do its thing.

Just added some emerald crabs and a lettuce nudibranch from Rusalty. They all took right off minutes after I added them. Here are some pods acclimating - without fish they are just keeping my rocks and glass clean and will be food soon.

IMG_2049.jpeg

I went ahead and did some water changes to get ready for some fish that will be added shortly. I'm going to go traditional to start - Clowns/ pajama cardinals / hippo tang / yellow tang / couple shrimp and a friendly goby. After that I'll figure out where I am headed. Fish coming from Dr. Reef and should be in a week or so. I'll get a Triton test done and see where my water is. My tests (hannas) show I'm ok and I believe I am.
That red ogo bloomed like crazy! Congrats!

OP
OP
lafarrow

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big month. Added lots of life. I'm still test driving vendors so a few things from a few spots. This month I ordered:
from Vivid - green hammer/multi color torch/purple montipora
from Rusalty - red tree/volcano heart/lava fire sponges
from Live Aquaria - Crocea clam
from Tidal Gardens - Green Star Polyps/Green Base Toadstool/Blue Hornet Zoanthids/Bloodsucker Zoanthid/Seasons Greetings Montipora

I did a terrible job of photo documenting the packaging, products and my introduction of same to the tank. Look at that poor slumping toadstool! He bounces back like a champ!

IMG_2355.jpeg

The easiest to add were the sponges from Rusalty. Keep them underwater and toss them in. The red tree is still waiting for final placement as the glue and the delicate nature of the sponge has made me hesitant to do so. I'll get my courage up and do that before next update.

The Tidal Gardens had the best packaging. Unfortunately I have some emerald crabs and they mowed down the GSP and Blue Hornet Zoanthids on night one. I never saw it coming. Expensive freaking snack for those guys.

IMG_2390.jpeg

The Vivid corals - green hammer and multi color torch have been the belles of the ball. The colors and movement can't be beat.

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2432.jpeg

The Crocea was the most exciting add since I have wanted a feature clam since I started the tank. Placement has proven challenging since they don't have a meter on them that says good... better... best. You place and watch.

IMG_2380.jpeg

I have had to move him a couple times so we'll see. This morning I got a scare b/c he dropped his foot. For those that may not know it looks like a Berghia nudibranch. The pictures I took are too blurry so I didn't post them. I am worried about clammy.

I also added some fish. I ordered Blue Reef Chromis, Blue/Green Black Axil Chromis and some pajama cardinals from Live Aquaria. I wanted the shoaling nature of these fish and some movement in the tank. Well I picked a bad week to order and Live Aquaria had some issues. I got a dead goby (not ordered) and half of the Chromis were DOA (likely due to a Fed Ex delivery delay). Live Aquaria was very accommodating and replaced the fish.

IMG_2411.jpeg

I am over feeding so my nitrates have crept up but overall things are going swimmingly. I have a Blue Hippo and Mimic Lemon Peel Tang and cleaner shrimp #2 on order with Dr. Reef which will likely be ready to go soon.

As of today I have: 4 clowns, 5 axil chromis, 5 blue reef chromis (soon to be 4 as the odd man out is being re-homed), 3 PJ Cardinals, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 crocea clam

I am very disappointed in Aquarium Creations as I ordered some fish and conchs on 2/2/21 and have heard nothing. I have also not received a reply to any of my emails asking for a status on my order.

I just ordered some more soft corals from The Coral Farm to fill out the middle of the tank. They have been very responsive so far so I am optimistic the corals will be top notch.

Hardwaare additions this summer will likely be the KH Director from GHL. Will also start dosing the Triton Core 7. I am disappointed that the Par meter rental is no longer available as that was on my spring to-do list. If someone has one that I could borrow I'd appreciate a shout out. I'll send you a deposit and everything!

I am so enjoying this hobby!

Attachments

• IMG_2430.jpeg
    IMG_2430.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2429.jpeg
    IMG_2429.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 47

robertjules1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving and learning a lot from your journal! I’m looking at the same tank, was thinking freshwater since I’ve never had a reef tank but have always wanted one! Can’t wait to see more updates! Cheers from Arizona!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back