Cade Chaos Grimoire

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same day using as much water from the existing as possible? Or plan to allow the new an extensive cycle span? Space constraints have me nervous.
Try to use as much of the water as possible to prevent swings

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to use as much of the water as possible to prevent swings
Since I bought my salt I realized my tank is happier at a higher alk than it mixes, I know I'm going to have to monitor the new water & buffer it back to place before moving everyone in officially.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just occurred to me, idk if I can use my current lights when I upgrade. :(

The size leaning more towards will work with my current skimmer just fine. I'll be able to move the scrubber over as well no issues. Will likely need a bigger return pump.

What other *ease of reefing* things should I look into....

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It just occurred to me, idk if I can use my current lights when I upgrade. :(

The size leaning more towards will work with my current skimmer just fine. I'll be able to move the scrubber over as well no issues. Will likely need a bigger return pump.

What other *ease of reefing* things should I look into....
hi,as much sump as can get running,even if looped to existing ;) :)

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a very long time since I've tried adding a classic acan lord (micromussa lordhowensis) to my tank but I put one in today. I don't own any coral nippy fish any longer, and all the shrimp that caused problems were eaten by the marine betta. Hopefully this guy does well, I miss having them.

I also decided the aiptasia game plan is to sump the canary wrasse at the tank transition and add a herd of berghia right away to knock through anything there before I move him back up to the display. I'm not risking peppermint shrimp again, I was digging back through photos and was reminded of how stressed my blastos always were after the little thiefs assulted them at feeding time. Plus they're the ones that killed my acans last time around.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast did you see lps get destroyed from the peppermints. Makes me wonder if they may have had a hand in some losses.
Blastos they were either more gentle with, or they're just a tougher coral in general against assault. The acans, pretty much as soon as I witnessed a peppermint near them they were out within a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lengthy discussions with the husband today while we prepped some irish beef stew for dinner (yumm)...

I've put a lot of money into upgrades for supplies for this tank in the last year, I think I'm actually going to go with the cade 1200 s2, which still gains me about 25 extra gallons in display and will work with literally everything I put into upgrades for the 90 in the last year (lights, skimmer, powerheads, return, etc).

I'll pull the refugium baffle and use the scrubber instead. All my rock can translate over (though maybe I'll rearrange). I'll gain extra space in the sump with the ato being behind the display and can move my dosing equipment into there. I'll also be without the weird bulky weir obstruction this tank has.

I *will* buy all new sand (not sure what yet, something the engineer goby will still like for sure). I also plan to hunt down the pistol and give him to the LFS.

This still saves me space to the left side for a supply cabinet like I have right now. I think it will also make the transition multitudes easier. The bulk of my water will be the water from the 90, so basically I'll be giving new sand and doing a water change. Shouldn't be too stressful for anyone.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your lights now
Lengthy discussions with the husband today while we prepped some irish beef stew for dinner (yumm)...

I've put a lot of money into upgrades for supplies for this tank in the last year, I think I'm actually going to go with the cade 1200 s2, which still gains me about 25 extra gallons in display and will work with literally everything I put into upgrades for the 90 in the last year (lights, skimmer, powerheads, return, etc).

I'll pull the refugium baffle and use the scrubber instead. All my rock can translate over (though maybe I'll rearrange). I'll gain extra space in the sump with the ato being behind the display and can move my dosing equipment into there. I'll also be without the weird bulky weir obstruction this tank has.

I *will* buy all new sand (not sure what yet, something the engineer goby will still like for sure). I also plan to hunt down the pistol and give him to the LFS.

This still saves me space to the left side for a supply cabinet like I have right now. I think it will also make the transition multitudes easier. The bulk of my water will be the water from the 90, so basically I'll be giving new sand and doing a water change. Shouldn't be too stressful for anyone.
Solid plan. Bahama oolite is my favorite sand. White as the beaches a day reefs in the Caribbean.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your lights now

Solid plan. Bahama oolite is my favorite sand. White as the beaches a day reefs in the Caribbean.
Reefbreeders photon v2+. Probably going to add a lumen bar when they're back in stock though. This was an upgrade from viparspectras that were burning any corals up top (not even at half blast) and when I took them down I discovered they were burning themselves - bunch of warped plastic and charred bits)

I was looking at that, I also found a sand that "supposedly" helps maintain pH so I might research that some more as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my rocks are currently mostly held in place by fitting pieces together that locked correctly. There are a few loose now. When I start moving things with whatever upgrade, I was considering fixing them together better. Any recommendation for doing that safely with wet rock that has living corals on it?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2little fishies makes a epoxy that will harden even underwater
There's many of times I'm glad I never did. Trying to fix or move a rock for whatever reason will become a pain if they are epoxied together

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this a few times, wasn't sure if there was a better option for rocks or not. Good to know
Caught back up, excuse all the likes and stuff, can't wait to see the upgrade. :)
As above, no to epoxy. ;)
scape.jpg

OHHHH NOOOOOooooooo :cool:

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate filter socks (for the same reasons I refuse to run with a canister filter, they're more work than I want to deal with so I post pone for dangerous amounts of time). My current sump has a 7 inch rectangular sock, so I replaced it with an acrylic box and precut a ton of filter pads to switch out every couple days. Way better. The sump on the likely upgrade is 2 4inch round socks :( Anyone have experience with the roller mats?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back