Cade Chaos Grimoire

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfft feel bad for what? It was hilarious
Ohh. You haven’t been properly initiated until your build thread is laced with spam. @fishguy242 is the best a this, but I will try lol.

Pickles say hi!!!!
A6E5F0F2-DF71-450D-B2BD-620E6B5D766C.jpeg

And SPBLAM!!!!!
0CC30075-6301-436D-96CC-9DBF9E200899.jpeg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need a 2nd harlequin :( -- took my phone flashlight to the tank tonight to see if I could see anyone nipping at the chunk of zoas that have been acting up the last week on and off, covered in asterina. With my harlequin perched on top munching on one. He/She just can't move through them fast enough.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need a 2nd harlequin :( -- took my phone flashlight to the tank tonight to see if I could see anyone nipping at the chunk of zoas that have been acting up the last week on and off, covered in asterina. With my harlequin perched on top munching on one. He/She just can't move through them fast enough.
Could you give her a hand and freeze some for later

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give her a hand and freeze some for later
Not a bad idea.... I'll add that to my list for tomorrow afternoon. Finish the baking for my team, go asterina hunting.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nope ,don't get another,she will wipe out thousands and the you have to feed her ;) put some in sump to breed in there to feed her down the road:)

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope ,don't get another,she will wipe out thousands and the you have to feed her ;) put some in sump to breed in there to feed her down the road:)
There are a few that made their own way down there already. I feel like she goes through bursts of knocking down the population really well then just not eating for awhile and letting them grow and flourish and anger my zoas. I've had her for about 3 months now

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1, a 48 that spreads fully across the tank. @Ron Reefman has a nice setup with two back to front spanning across that I wish I'd thought of with mine. Not too late to add a second I suppose...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-breeders-photon-v2-best-schedule.784277/post-8325337

I did the 2nd Photon for 2 reasons. First, my tank is 30" front to back and 1 Photon just didn't cut it in terms of good coverage. Second, I wanted a blue look at the back of the tank during the midday full intensity (more white up front). I think this makes the tank look like it's even bigger front to back.

BTW, I love the Photons and even picked up a used 16" as a backup for my frag tank, or to use over any small holding tank I may set up after a beach walk, estuary net drag or Keys snorkel trip!

I was OK with this look (using the legs), but I eventually had a mounting system custom made (the aluminum arms behind the tank).
20200729_114005.jpg

20200729_113948.jpg

Now the legs are gone.

I love the shallows, just can't find any lately and I'm right off the coast too - go figure

The shallow RFAs are really different. Less color, almost no fluorescence, but some crazy patterns! I found one in the Keys that was quite small that is mostly white or off white, but with a very pale shade of light blue in it as well. Even now it's only the size of a quarter.

We know of a tiny island in the Keys that is only the size of a small house that has lots of shallow RFAs. The sides of the island are rock, and drop about 2 or 3 feet vertical into the water. Then it's a shallow (2 or 3 feet deep), flat, hard bottom with a few inches of sand out50 feet from the island. The vertical wall of the island is covered with RFAs, small red feather duster and oysters.

A close up of the edge of the island. This old coral rock runs down a couple of feet deep.
P1010005.JPG

And the view 2 feet down...
P6190054 R1.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the 2nd Photon for 2 reasons. First, my tank is 30" front to back and 1 Photon just didn't cut it in terms of good coverage. Second, I wanted a blue look at the back of the tank during the midday full intensity (more white up front). I think this makes the tank look like it's even bigger front to back.

BTW, I love the Photons and even picked up a used 16" as a backup for my frag tank, or to use over any small holding tank I may set up after a beach walk, estuary net drag or Keys snorkel trip!

I was OK with this look (using the legs), but I eventually had a mounting system custom made (the aluminum arms behind the tank).
20200729_114005.jpg

20200729_113948.jpg

Now the legs are gone.

The shallow RFAs are really different. Less color, almost no fluorescence, but some crazy patterns! I found one in the Keys that was quite small that is mostly white or off white, but with a very pale shade of light blue in it as well. Even now it's only the size of a quarter.

We know of a tiny island in the Keys that is only the size of a small house that has lots of shallow RFAs. The sides of the island are rock, and drop about 2 or 3 feet vertical into the water. Then it's a shallow (2 or 3 feet deep), flat, hard bottom with a few inches of sand out50 feet from the island. The vertical wall of the island is covered with RFAs, small red feather duster and oysters.

A close up of the edge of the island. This old coral rock runs down a couple of feet deep.
P1010005.JPG

P6190054 R1.jpg
Not color but the patterns are amazing.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1010005.JPG

P6190054 R1.jpg

That's amazing, I'm jealous. Look at the little babies too. I absolutely love the patterning on the shallows

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing, I'm jealous. Look at the little babies too. I absolutely love the patterning on the shallows

Come snorkel in the Keys next summer. My wife and I go 3 to 5 times a year. Drive down and do a snorkel at Blackfin Resort (they have a cool island 100 yards from their tiny beach). Snorkel the next 2 days. Drive home on day 4 and get any collected animals settled into a holding tank. There are lots of good spots to snorkel and collect that are beach access (no boat required).

If you haven't looked at this thread yet, there's a lot of good info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/snorkeling-collecting-discussion-group.412414/

And you can always ask me questions!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come snorkel in the Keys next summer. My wife and I go 3 to 5 times a year. Drive down and do a snorkel at Blackfin Resort (they have a cool island 100 yards from their tiny beach). Snorkel the next 2 days. Drive home on day 4 and get any collected animals settled into a holding tank. There are lots of good spots to snorkel and collect that are beach access (no boat required).

If you haven't looked at this thread yet, there's a lot of good info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/snorkeling-collecting-discussion-group.412414/

And you can always ask me questions!
Visiting the Keys was on the list for this year because despite living in Florida my entire life, I've never been. The pandemic pushed that back. Checking out that thread now!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back