Calcium reactor 3172 leaking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a finer media, my suspicion is that the flow is channeling through the coarser media and not giving a good reaction. You are correct, the effluent should be above 18 dKH for sure and usually 20-24 is what I would adjust to.

I will give Tunze media a try, though the supplier is out of stock... I will report back once I am able to get my hands on it.

What would be the recommended pH inside the reactor to achieve these effluent Alk levels?

Thanks

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6.4-6.5 would be sufficient.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 4 months I am back to Balling... [emoji3525]. The pH was simply too low in my tank and would dip to 7.5 or even below at night. It is now back to a range of 7,7-8,1 which is better.

I have four kids and the tank sits inveje main living rooming a modern well sealed house so CO2 levels do creep up. Outside air CO2 stands at about 400ppm while in room CO2 during the day with some open windows reaches 500ppm. However at night it gets very high teaching close to 2000ppm in early morning before windows are open again. I may drill a whole in the wall to pull outside air to my skimmer but thieves not something I am looking forward to do.

I do feel the reactor is undersized for a 700 liter SPS tank with large and fast growing colonies such as mine. My daily Alk consumption is about 1,5dKH and even with the addition of fully saturated Kalk to my ATO it required a high effluent flow (about 60ml per minute) to keep up. Effluent Alk never got above 18dKH even with internal pH set to 5,9! I did not get to try the Tunze media (was using Caribsea ARM coarse media) which I did receive. Maybe in the future I will try it out but I do believe the reactor is too small. The bigger the reactor the more contact time the CO2 will have with more media which should lead to higher effluent potency for the same CO2 usage.

I am a big fan of Tunze and Roger is amazing at providing help so I am simply sharing my findings. Note that this is my first reactor so I am not an expert user here.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I would ask though that you try it again with the Tunze media or a similar media. I believe it will make a big difference. On my 215 which is mostly montiporas I use the 3170 which only holds 1.4l of media and while it is difficult for it to keep up, it will as long as I keep the media topped up and supplement with kalkwasser in my top off water, it is definitely undersized as it is rated to only 125 gallons. I am pretty confident it will work with a finer media.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will, once insolvência my low ph issues. Thanks for all your support, as always.

Kind regards and Happy New Year

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and Happy New Year!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back