Calcium Reactor adjust effluent or ph

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When your tank starts consuming a lot of alk, how much is to much effluent flow in which it would be better to drop the melting point (ph) in the reactor?

I’m currently feeding the reactor at 40ml/min which isn’t too much at this point. My ph is set from 6.60 - 6.70, so I can drop it to adjust the melting point.

How high do you run your effluent?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a lot easier to control and keep the reactor output level steady if you have a variable control pump. Either increase the flow and keep the pH the same or decrease pH will increase Ca out out. Either way, you will have to increase CO2 input.
My tank is large and require a lot of Ca. I try to add the maximum CO2 to lower the chamber pH to minimum (or start to have waste CO2). If I need more Ca, then I increase flow and increase CO2 also. IME, if you only increase flow without increase CO2, you will not have much increase in Ca output.

OP
OP
JAMSOURY

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I run my effluent at 50ml/min, I never adjust this. I reduce my PH when consumption increases. Has worked well for me for 2 years now.
How much do you like to reduce it by? 0.10? And what is your current ph now?

OP
OP
JAMSOURY

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is a lot easier to control and keep the reactor output level steady if you have a variable control pump. Either increase the flow and keep the pH the same or decrease pH will increase Ca out out. Either way, you will have to increase CO2 input.
My tank is large and require a lot of Ca. I try to add the maximum CO2 to lower the chamber pH to minimum (or start to have waste CO2). If I need more Ca, then I increase flow and increase CO2 also. IME, if you only increase flow without increase CO2, you will not have much increase in Ca output.

Oh yeah that makes sense. I remember injecting so much co2 when I ran an open line but I’ve recent switched to a peristaltic pump and it is way better.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise or lower my bubble and effluent ratio (both) to meet the demand of the tank. I have no idea what the pH is... I keep the effluent dKh at 25, or so. This keep the tank pH high and has no chance of melting media or wasting co2.

If you just keep lowering the pH, this leads to inconsistent results as media melts or you reach the capacity of your reactor. You can also waste co2 this way and lower your tank pH. This might not happen for a while, but it does to nearly everybody.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise or lower my bubble and effluent ratio (both) to meet the demand of the tank. I have no idea what the pH is... I keep the effluent dKh at 25, or so. This keep the tank pH high and has no chance of melting media or wasting co2.

If you just keep lowering the pH, this leads to inconsistent results as media melts or you reach the capacity of your reactor. You can also waste co2 this way and lower your tank pH. This might not happen for a while, but it does to nearly everybody.
This is 100% the way to do it correctly !!!!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media dissolves as it get use up. Hopefully your Ca reactor circulation pump is strong enough such that it can push through and continue with circulation of the fluid though the reactor chamber effectively. There is always media melts, that is what it suppose to do in a Ca reactor.
If your need is much below the capacity of the reactor then adjust it however you want to get adequate output. If you have a large tank and high demand, then either get a huge, expensive Ca reactor to have capacity much more than need. Or else push the Ca reactor output to the need.
My need is near the maximum output of my reactor. I have to modified my reactor to increase output. I wrote about it in the article below. If you need to push your reactor to it's max, then this is the way to do it (or get a larger reactor)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put in a promotion for folks to stop EVER using the word melt with respect to calcium carbonate in a CO2 reactor. It does not melt, it dissolves. lol

Saying it "melts" is akin to saying you are planning to "fly" your car to the grocery store. Folks may understand what you are saying, but it isn't correct.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just turned my unit off. I have NO fluid coming out of return line from reactor and need to find out why

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned my unit off. I have NO fluid coming out of return line from reactor and need to find out why
Often there are sponges growth in the line which jammed and occluded the flow. I am 95% sure that this is what happened in your reactor. Also reactor intake needed to be screened or else a snail may crawled in there and really mess up your pump.

Regarding "melt"
I know that melt is incorrect. I only used it because the previous user used it (meaning as dissolved) as if it is a very bad thing. I just wanted to point out that media get use up and will get smaller and smaller resulting in increase resistant for flow thought the reactor chamber.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Often there are sponges growth in the line which jammed and occluded the flow. I am 95% sure that this is what happend in your reactor. Also reactor intake needed to be screened or else a snail may crawled in there and really mess up your pump.
I removed intake line and blew through it easily but there are snails in that part of sump.
I sucked through the return and the taste- yuk. but get very little coming out. I only had it running since December. My alk jumped to 13 when this happened and calcium was at 540. Now it has calmed down ( shut unit down early march)

OP
OP
JAMSOURY

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Ahhh I see, that makes complete sense! Thanks!

Are you running a dual stage regulator or something like the carbon doser to accurately raise/lower bubble count

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running three - a Tunze, M3 and a high end stainless victor with a high precision needle valve. Some of them are easier to fine tune than others, but they all work fine once you learn how to move them in very small amounts.

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drove myself nuts trying to count the bubbles to 10 per minute. Almost impossible. I started by setting the effluent flow and then gradually opened needle valve to lower the PH on my probe slowly. Takes a while with the Milwaukee regulators. I will eventually splurge for carbon doser

OP
OP
JAMSOURY

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I drove myself nuts trying to count the bubbles to 10 per minute. Almost impossible. I started by setting the effluent flow and then gradually opened needle valve to lower the PH on my probe slowly. Takes a while with the Milwaukee regulators. I will eventually splurge for carbon doser
If you use vegetable glycerin for the fluid in the bubble counter, it is way easier to count. It slows it down and looks cool like a lava lamp

4D228169-FA56-4B05-9561-11B6D5CED94C.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back