Calcium reactor has low dkh

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had issues getting my calcium reactor dkh up.

Tested it a month ago and it was at 15dkh. I cleaned the whole thing out and only added larger media back in to increase flow.
Calibrated the Milwaukee Ph controller. It Was still reading accurate, though. 4-7 fluids.
Measurements are all around 70ml/min effluent flow rates
ph is set to 6.3-6.4.
After the cleaning and adding new media (brightwell coralazarus) I measured it (over a week later)
Dkh is 19.

Annoyed since my Ph in the tank is low and dkh in the tank is 7, that’s with Kalk reactor dosing 6L a day in a 250g system vol.

Measured via hanna checker and 50% Rodi to effluent.

And ideas on how to get closer to 35dkh where it should be?
RX-C6D model

image.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slow the flow through the reactor down and lower the pH somemore until the exit dKh is higher than the roof. Those low numbers mean that their isn't enough CO2 to melt arrogonite an raise the dKh to a proper effluent. If you get the effluent properly low you will likely need to slow the flow through down to avoid alk spiking the tan going towards 10dkh in the display. gl

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slow the flow through the reactor down and lower the pH somemore until the exit dKh is higher than the roof. Those low numbers mean that their isn't enough CO2 to melt arrogonite an raise the dKh to a proper effluent. If you get the effluent properly low you will likely need to slow the flow through down to avoid alk spiking the tan going towards 10dkh in the display. gl
Thanks, I was thinking this, my concern with lower pH is the ability to melt the media below 6.2 which has been experienced by many then it may present flow issues as it turns to a slurry. I havent experienced this but read it.

I agree lowering effluent is my next trial to see how that impacts it. thise BRS investigates uses the same setup I have. The result through me off as a potential solution though, since it says from 5ml/min to 100ml/min is a 4 dkh drop all way above mine?
BRS Calcium flow

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on slowing your effluent and letting the media cook in the CO2 a little longer which will help raise the tank pH a little and increase DKH in the effluent. Sometimes less is more.

Also i've found that sometimes it can take a while before some medias break in (so to say) and lowering the rate of effluent might help.

i have never used the brightwell media though. Only reborn, korallen and ARM

reborn dissolves the easiest but i prefer ARM out of the three i've used

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back