Calling all ATB Skimmer Users!

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to upgrade my systems skimmer in the coming months, and I'm seriously considering going for the ATB 840 V2 w/Sicce wifi DC pump. Currently running a Reef Octo classic 150int and I want to go with another brand this time around. The only other skimmer I have in contention with the ATB is the Deltec 1000ix AC as I've used Deltec's in a shop setting with great results.

So, ATB owners/past users convince me if I'm thinking right or if I'm off my rocker!

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good things about ultra reef. Definitely a plausible alternative choice!

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at the lifereef and know they have a strong following and a stellar reputation but I want to go a different route.

It seems like ATB isn't mentioned a whole lot around here but the bit I find, they do seem to be excellent.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought their first cone skimmer with the air star pump when it came out. It was awesome. But sadly the air star pumps became extinct. but easy remedy.The acrylics are still all really good. It’s built like a brick I still think Venturi’s are way less work to operate than needle wheels but for a needle wheel you could do a lot worse than an atb

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the build quality. Yeah, I really wish they didn't do away with the airstar pumps. I want to stick with an AC skimmer but I'm not gonna shun DC, I just am not convinced 100% that DC is the "superior" choice. However if I'm Goin to go ATB I'm willing to give DC a shot because it's atleast a Sicce Pump so it's gotta be good and reliable right?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with the new deltecs (good reviews though), but i've had a few ATB's. Econo 840 w/askoll block, ATB HOB (yes HOB-lol), ATB Nano One and now the elegance 150 RS. The best of the bunch was the 840 and my Nano One which i still swap out now and then. The 150 RS has only been wet for 2 days (will do review eventually). I have no doubt the ATB would skim well for you, but i would confirm first if that base is a press fit instead of being secured with titanium screws. My Nano One and the 150 RS both have that press fit base. i have no issues with mine but some have complained that the cnc'd grooves in the base plate can become loose or super tight.

I will also give a shout out for Ultra Reef! My UKS 160 has taken the #1 spot for me. Best built skimmer I've ever owned.
Lots of positives for the Akula but i'm really sold on DC pumps now for the fine tuning they provide. Ultra Reef has the Typhoon line but $$$$

10 days of Akula skimmate on a 75 DT
20230723_153911.jpg

Last edited:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the build quality. Yeah, I really wish they didn't do away with the airstar pumps. I want to stick with an AC skimmer but I'm not gonna shun DC, I just am not convinced 100% that DC is the "superior" choice. However if I'm Goin to go ATB I'm willing to give DC a shot because it's atleast a Sicce Pump so it's gotta be good and reliable right?

Go with the AC pump, sicce psk1200 I think, biggest one. They are beasts, if you decide to draw fresh air as well, they pull a ton, I use a similar skimmer, with a tunze hydrofoamer 9420, which will fit that skimmer nicely. Mine accounts for .1 increase on ph, DC pumps great, but these skimmers want power! You could also use an Eheim 1262, works awesome too, but big pump. Simply adjust the wedge pipe to dial in, once set in, with constant water level, around 6-8" depth, and it will blow your mind!!! I would love to have my old ATB, but actually just as nice, 2005 I-tech 200 cone, with Tunze hydrofoamer 9420, skims 200 gallons worth of acros. Simply put, it's an amazing skimmer, you'll see, lol

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throwing another wrench into the yard, I see ASMs are on sale right now... I could totally snag up a G3 for a good price. I don't remember a whole lot about the depth they sit in and if they were super finicky to water fluctuations of about half an inch, but I do remember them being workhorses!

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with the new deltecs (good reviews though), but i've had a few ATB's. Econo 840 w/askoll block, ATB HOB (yes HOB-lol), ATB Nano One and now the elegance 150 RS. The best of the bunch was the 840 and my Nano One which i still swap out now and then. The 150 RS has only been wet for 2 days (will do review eventually). I have no doubt the ATB would skim well for you, but i would confirm first if that base is a press fit instead of being secured with titanium screws. My Nano One and the 150 RS both have that press fit base. i have no issues with mine but some have complained that the cnc'd grooves in the base plate can become loose or super tight.

I will also give a shout out for Ultra Reef! My UKS 160 has taken the #1 spot for me. Best built skimmer I've ever owned.
Lots of positives for the Akula but i'm really sold on DC pumps now for the fine tuning they provide. Ultra Reef has the Typhoon line but $$$$

10 days of Akula skimmate on a 75 DT
20230723_153911.jpg
Those Akulas look real nice. Some nasty lookin skimmate.

My real big issue I have with the reef octopus classic line is the aquatrance pumps. They are just ok Performance wise. The Sicce PSK pumps, Sedras, Aquabees, and Eheim powered pumps on skimmers from the past just seemed to have more ooomph to them. I know it's all a fine balance, and people have differing views.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my ATB elegance 150 rs. Skimming good but still need to make some tweaks. We'll report back later this week.
Picture makes the body look skinny:face-with-raised-eyebrow:. Body is 6 inches
20230720_182808.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm flip flopping back and forth so hard :grinning-squinting-face:. That sale on the ASMs is almost too good to pass up...but I've always wanted to try an ATB!

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How sensitive have you found the ATBs to be with a slight water depth variation? Reason I ask is because I get about a ½ to ¾ inch at most drop or gain due to manual topping off. I have no ATO, always manually topped off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back