Calling all ATB Skimmer Users!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All needle wheel skimmers will be sensative to fluctuations so an ato is critical for optimal performance. Air injected (venturi/becket/mazzie) skimmers like PM, lifereef & mrc are not sensative to water level fluctuations like needlewheels but they are usually louder and require more powerful pumps than your average needle wheel skimmer. They are very good performers though and your can use practically whatever pump you want (usually sold separately) granted they meet the gph needed for the specific model to perform.

I would recommend an ato either way you decide

Happy reefing

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved mine and built one from the ground up many years ago.. I’m not sure if the motor block is still the same or not, Laguna pond pumps are the old air star and red dragon pumps just rebranded..

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sump are you running?
100g with no baffles.
I loved mine and built one from the ground up many years ago.. I’m not sure if the motor block is still the same or not, Laguna pond pumps are the old air star and red dragon pumps just rebranded..
Good to know about the laguna pumps. I wish ATB didn't go to all DC pumps and still atleast offered the AC airstars.

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another wrench thrown at me, I found a Bubble Magus BM160 recirculating skimmer for sale. Now I'm heavily considering that since it looks like the old DAS recircs that I used to fiddle with like 10ish years ago. Those were great performers and didn't care about water height!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back