Calling all ATB Skimmer Users!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pyrogens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
All needle wheel skimmers will be sensative to fluctuations so an ato is critical for optimal performance. Air injected (venturi/becket/mazzie) skimmers like PM, lifereef & mrc are not sensative to water level fluctuations like needlewheels but they are usually louder and require more powerful pumps than your average needle wheel skimmer. They are very good performers though and your can use practically whatever pump you want (usually sold separately) granted they meet the gph needed for the specific model to perform.

I would recommend an ato either way you decide

Happy reefing
 
I loved mine and built one from the ground up many years ago.. I’m not sure if the motor block is still the same or not, Laguna pond pumps are the old air star and red dragon pumps just rebranded..
 
What kind of sump are you running?
100g with no baffles.
I loved mine and built one from the ground up many years ago.. I’m not sure if the motor block is still the same or not, Laguna pond pumps are the old air star and red dragon pumps just rebranded..
Good to know about the laguna pumps. I wish ATB didn't go to all DC pumps and still atleast offered the AC airstars.
 
Another wrench thrown at me, I found a Bubble Magus BM160 recirculating skimmer for sale. Now I'm heavily considering that since it looks like the old DAS recircs that I used to fiddle with like 10ish years ago. Those were great performers and didn't care about water height!
 
What did you end up going with? I recently just resurrected my ATB Elegance 200 Pro cone skimmer with a Laguna MaxFlo 1350 pump body after 10 years out of commission in the garage. Wow! I forgot how much of a beast this Skimmer is. It pulls exactly 54 watts just like the original Airstar pump body. I have to thank all the information out there in these forums for giving me the faith to try it out. The replacement pump was $190 on Amazon. After years of deliberation I finally bought one and gave it a try and I’m glad it worked. ATB SKimmers have a great design. I did modify some things and made it better.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 80416963123__61A6CB2C-3C7D-4E21-BBC3-09B2D4FDA2D7.jpeg
    80416963123__61A6CB2C-3C7D-4E21-BBC3-09B2D4FDA2D7.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2891.mov
    26.2 MB

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new