Calling all auto water changing reefers

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a dos auto water change system and was wondering others experiences and recommendations for how often you calibrate and how long have your heads lasted until replacement was needed. I auto dose one gallon a day on a ~ 100 gallon system.

Thanks for the insights,
Darren

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're gonna be very happy with this setup, completely automated AWC is the best thing I have done for myself in this hobby :p

I have added a yearly reminder to my Apex calendar for calibration; I have no reason to believe it needs to be done more often. If my salinity and water levels don't give me any reason to believe it's needed, I'll probably just leave it.

As for the dosing heads? By DOS was three years old when I started using it for AWC- no apparent sign of replacement needed yet.

I have four DOS in total- all running great. They're rock solid!

OP
OP
L

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is way better than I was thinking it would be…..I was thinking monthly calibration with yearly swapping of the heads.

Darren

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far away can you have your saltwater reservoir from the dosing pumps? I plan implementing AWC as well and would like something larger than a few gallons, but the closest I can get a big ole reservoir is approximately 20ft away for something larger than 5 or so gallons.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been considering this but have a question. Do you push/pull at the same time or pull first and then push? If you get my drift. :)

OP
OP
L

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently add water first to keep the ATO off, then take away water

Darren

pikachew143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been auto water changes for about 3 years now. i have a 300 gal tank in my living room and a 300 gal reservoir in my garage. About 200 ft apart. Water lines run through the attic. It never dawned on me to calibrate as all my salinity numbers are steady and my sum stays at constant level. I guess if it aint broke don't fix it.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used DOS as AWC for 2 years and realized that the drain and new water refill volume was not 100% same and the pump noise was too loud. I've changed to Autoaqua AWC Duo, with 2 optical sensors, I don't need to consider calibration since water change volume 100% same and the pump noise is super quiet. Using 6 months now, love it very much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back