Calling On Tropic Marine For Help!!!

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Rev and that was the point of my comments. I was just trying to hedge comments that get out of hand

2mos ago Lou spent like 20mins with me on the phone providing great info and great customer service. I was trying to cover Lou's blindside

Threads like this should be phone calls btwn two parties; the end-user and the vendor
I actually like this kind of forum. It reminds me of a lab meeting where everyone is trying to troubleshoot an experimental problem. Everyone has different perspectives and life experiences. And you never know when one little tidbit of info solves the issue.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement on current supply of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt from our Turkish production facility.

Tropic Marin stands for the highest quality in seawater animal husbandry. Regrettably, in the last few days we have received several complaints that some of our Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt, produced in our Turkish facility, did not meet our exacting optical standards. Our investigation into these complaints has revealed that limited batches of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt may contain a small amount of an insoluble clay mineral impurity that may impact our exacting optical quality standards, resulting in cloudiness, film and/or yellowish or brownish residue in the water. Importantly, we have no evidence that these insoluble clay minerals, causing the cloudiness, are harmful to the animals. Please note that this notice only applies to Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt blended in our facility in Turkey and that the mineral impurity has not been observed in Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced in our German facilities or in any of our other products.

In addition to our own investigations, we have commissioned an in-depth analysis from an external laboratory to verify our findings. As a precautionary measure, we have decided to interrupt the production and distribution of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef salts, blended in our facility in Turkey, until further notice. Again, this is purely a precautionary measure and has no impact on Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced elsewhere.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this has caused.

Your Tropic Marin® team

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Statement on current supply of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt from our Turkish production facility.

Tropic Marin stands for the highest quality in seawater animal husbandry. Regrettably, in the last few days we have received several complaints that some of our Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt, produced in our Turkish facility, did not meet our exacting optical standards. Our investigation into these complaints has revealed that limited batches of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt may contain a small amount of an insoluble clay mineral impurity that may impact our exacting optical quality standards, resulting in cloudiness, film and/or yellowish or brownish residue in the water. Importantly, we have no evidence that these insoluble clay minerals, causing the cloudiness, are harmful to the animals. Please note that this notice only applies to Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt blended in our facility in Turkey and that the mineral impurity has not been observed in Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced in our German facilities or in any of our other products.

In addition to our own investigations, we have commissioned an in-depth analysis from an external laboratory to verify our findings. As a precautionary measure, we have decided to interrupt the production and distribution of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef salts, blended in our facility in Turkey, until further notice. Again, this is purely a precautionary measure and has no impact on Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced elsewhere.

Your Tropic Marin® team
Well you certainly get an A+ in transparency and service to track this down. Thanks for the update.

I just placed an order for another bucket of TMP salt.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Your Tropic Marin® team
Thank you for listening to the user community. Even though conversations were heated at times, and many got defensive on both sides, it’s great to see a company publicly acknowledge findings and sharing them with customers. Kudos to you and makes me a more loyal customer for the future.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your Tropic Marin® team
Thank you Lou for this update!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your Tropic Marin® team

Can we now purchase new TMP from our favorite vendors with confidence it will be from Germany? Is Turkish sourced TMP that already may be in stores being pulled from shelves and recalled?

Last edited:

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Faith restored!

Can we now purchase new TMP from our favorite vendors with confidence it will be from Germany? Is Turkish sourced TMP that already may be in stores being pulled from shelves and recalled?
Don’t know if you shop at BRS but they stated today all their boxes,buckets for tmp on their shelves are from Germany only…

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't use or plan to use this salt but great that updated this thread and temporary ceased production in Turkish plant.
Re- installs to me that still lots people/ companies that will do the right thing of listen- investigate- action
So once again nice one ^_^

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh the days of our lives salt woes continue... when your up your up and when your down you down. Who woulda thought the doubled priced salt TM time would finally come to step on their own *****? Been in the hobby long enough to watch this happen time and time again with all the salt manufactures.... thought this is why people payed double for TM salt? For the peace of mind of not having to deal with this precise problem yet here we are... Again

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no plans on using there products again. After receiving a turkey batch of salt that had a strong odor of chemicals. I instantly thought something was wrong and went to the forums. I saw a few people post about the same issue with tropic Marin and Lou made it sound like there was no problem. I ended up using it and lost the majority of my corals.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no plans on using there products again. After receiving a turkey batch of salt that had a strong odor of chemicals. I instantly thought something was wrong and went to the forums. I saw a few people post about the same issue with tropic Marin and Lou made it sound like there was no problem. I ended up using it and lost the majority of my corals.

So you are saying you used the salt, lost the majority of your corals, and feel it is the salt.

Did you contact TM via their portal? Did you call them? If not why not? Maybe they would like to hear about your incident and maybe review the salt or take a water sample.

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying you used the salt, lost the majority of your corals, and feel it is the salt.

Did you contact TM via their portal? Did you call them? If not why not? Maybe they would like to hear about your incident and maybe review the salt or take a water sample.
I will send you left over salt I didn’t use and you can see for your self.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Someone is late to the party. Lol

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a couple of weeks of denial, it seems there is a problem after all... get ready for prices to go up as supply goes down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back