Calling On Tropic Marine For Help!!!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you have the batch that smells of strong chemicals

But I'm still interested if you reached out, or if TM reached out in return, for samples, etc. This may get back to the "late to the party" comment so will go back through the thread. Everything I've read so far here and elsewhere indicates TM didn't ignore it but rather worked through and updated when they had information worth sharing.

Of course I could also be 100% incorrect with my assessment.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I'm still interested if you reached out, or if TM reached out in return, for samples, etc. This may get back to the "late to the party" comment so will go back through the thread. Everything I've read so far here and elsewhere indicates TM didn't ignore it but rather worked through and updated when they had information worth sharing.

I think the "late to the party" comment is in reference to TM having already issued a statement on here (and I'm sure other forums) saying they found a contaminant (I think it was clay) in some of the batches of their salt from Turkey. I don't know if they need anymore samples at this point. TM has turned this over to an independent lab for further testing. Having said that they might still want samples to further the investigation.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There were complaints at least back to September. I don’t think TM jumped into investigation (versus rebuttal) until the complaints piled up in December/January

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice an odor after a couple days. Hint-o-cat-pee is what I call it.
Makes no difference in my tank.
disclaimer: I'm a super smeller thanks to a bout a pregnancy many years ago.
You are probably using a grey Brute can. Hint-o-cat-pee happens if you leave any type of salt water in a brute can. My Red Sea Blue bucket and Red Sea Coral Pro make my Brute can smell like Hint-o-cat-pee if a puddle of salt water is left in the can to dry. Google it. lol. I thought my cat was peeing in the can.

Red Sea Blue bucket and Coral Pro both leave the unsightly yet harmless brown crud in containers. I am told it is a de-clumping agent. So any one thinking of switching to RS don't because you going to get the brown crude with that also. :D

However RS is the only salt made from natural sea water salt. Yes in the Red Sea!. All the rest mine there salt from underground. Just saying:cool:

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea blue bucket always leaves small sand like debris in my bucket. Not enough to concern me as I only make 4 gallons at a time. This is only noticeable in my white bucket. Never noticed any brown crud.
I have a 65 gallon mixing tank and mix 40 gallons at a time. Mixing Red Sea Blue bucket my mixing tank looks simular to the ops first post. Not as bad but similar.

They all do it. I think it is de-clumping agent. Check this out.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...ium-without-all-the-crusty-build-up-reef-faqs

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So TM claims it's just a clay material and will not harm any living creatures.......

Yet we have many on here claim they have lost livestock from this "clay material".

Seems like lip service to me, and by the posts in this thread, it worked.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So TM claims it's just a clay material and will not harm any living creatures.......

Yet we have many on here claim they have lost livestock from this "clay material".

Seems like lip service to me, and by the posts in this thread, it worked.

How would anybody know if this "clay material" harmed their livestock.

Most all the salts have this "clay material". Its nothing new, it always has.

If you don't want this "clay material" use a filter.

Look at this BRS video, test... https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...ium-without-all-the-crusty-build-up-reef-faqs

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add me to the "used to be my go to salt" list. recent box resulted in a brute full where you couldn't see bottom, and BRS replaced it without question, and TM asked me to fill out a survey - no reply

whatever happened to German over-engineering

too many other quality choices out there to have to live with doubts

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How would anybody know if this "clay material" harmed their livestock.

Most all the salts have this "clay material". Its nothing new, it always has.

If you don't want this "clay material" use a filter.

Look at this BRS video, test... https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...ium-without-all-the-crusty-build-up-reef-faqs
Isn’t TM pharmaceutical-made salt? How did foreign material get in their in the first place? A number of posts of coral issues on the other thread to indicate it’s not harmless.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t TM pharmaceutical-made salt? How did foreign material get in their in the first place? A number of posts of coral issues on the other thread to indicate it’s not harmless.

Maybe water run off. I have been told it is anti clumping agent. Those big piles of salt you see out side with dump trucks aren't exactly inside a lab. The salt has to be farmed or mined somewhere.

How would any one know if or be able to prove this "clay material" is harming their corals. These beautiful reefs we keep are not pristine pieces of the Red Sea. They are closed water boxes about as clean a toilet bowl. Detritus , dirt and fish poop. Don't drink the water. I don't even like putting my hands in my tank. I once got an infection on an open cut on my hand that took 3 months to heal. Doc had to order a special anti biotic. If one of use has "coral issues", 99% of the time we have no idea what it is. I guess now we can blame it on clay that all salt mix's have. :D

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe water run off. I have been told it is anti clumping agent. Those big piles of salt you see out side with dump trucks aren't exactly inside a lab. The salt has to be farmed or mined somewhere.

How would any one know if or be able to prove this "clay material" is harming their corals. These beautiful reefs we keep are not pristine pieces of the Red Sea. They are closed water boxes about as clean a toilet bowl. Detritus , dirt and fish poop. Don't drink the water. I don't even like putting my hands in my tank. I once got an infection on an open cut on my hand that took 3 months to heal. Doc had to order a special anti biotic. If one of use has "coral issues", 99% of the time we have no idea what it is. I guess now we can blame it on clay that all salt mix's have. :D
I agree lots of variables, but people don’t need the vendor’s permission to change salts or form an opinion. They can deny and point to other reasons but if the perception and me-too responses arent addressed, it’s lost business. ICP tests and coral improvement seen after changing salt is hard to ignore, even if anecdotal. Remember the initial response was there was absolutely no change to anything (processes, materials, testing, etc) before the acknowledgment that they found something (which they say is harmless). There’s more to come I’m sure about whether this was harmless or not.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I am not knowledgeable about how synthetic aquarium salt is produced. I am curious how water run off or any of the above mentioned things will affect a synthetic salt? I was under the impression that only red sea provided natural salt.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not knowledgeable about how synthetic aquarium salt is produced. I am curious how water run off or any of the above mentioned things will affect a synthetic salt? I was under the impression that only red sea provided natural salt.
Sodium Chloride in synthetic ocean salt is mined from the ground. I'm sure they make large piles of it and the distribute it to where ever its going. Red Sea gets there salt from sea water evaporation pools. I'm not surprised if a little run off gets in there.

Screenshot_20220201-120014_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220201-120005_Gallery.jpg

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sodium Chloride in synthetic ocean salt is mined from the ground. I'm sure they make large piles of it and the distribute it to where ever its going. Red Sea gets there salt from sea water evaporation pools. I'm not surprised if a little run off gets in there.

Screenshot_20220201-120014_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220201-120005_Gallery.jpg
Essentially bad quality control?

Mined salt does not need to be piled up next to the ocean, does it? I understand why Red Sea might have to.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially bad quality control?

Mined salt does not need to be piled up next to the ocean, does it? I understand why Red Sea might have to.

I doubt TM mines there own salt. I also doubt it is mined by hand ,one bucket at a time lol. Its piled up somewhere.

We should ask.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with TM salt due to all the great reviews, and the claim that it didn't leave a residue behind. Well after the first couple buckets I noticed the mixing container was really dirty, so I assumed it was my fault and cleaned it all out. Then after just one bucket, the residue was back. Well, the lack of residue was the main selling point for me, and if I was going to have it regardless I might as well switch to IO. After all, IO is what most of the major coral farmers use.

TM salt
IMG_0814.jpg

I wanted to complement @Lou Ekus for his participation in this form. It speaks volumes about his dedication and commitment to his company. It is the first time that I can recall seeing the CEO of a company respond to an online form. I certainly hope you can resolve this problem. I will perhaps try TM salt again in the future.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good post. And also true. Often times something happens and we don't know let alone keep a list of changes in the display. Some hobbyists are very good with details, others not. Then factor in the wide range of hobbyist skill level, well, here we are.

Note I'm not saying people are wrong here because that isn't nice but sometimes we gravitate to vendor product. And when they try to communicate we treat them like witches and burn them at the stake :(

Not that you or anyone asked just liked the last paragraph. Hope your day is going well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back