Calling On Tropic Marine For Help!!!

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The real kicker is that he popped in to address that largely irrelevant question directly yet the more pressing and important questions remain unanswered and quite frankly, unacknowledged.

This ^^

Maybe there is a reason he won’t answer the question about how they can be sure that there is no problem with the German salt? It’s a bit odd that there appears to have been silence for several days and that innocuous post was the one that brought them out of hibernation.

Like I mentioned, if you have that feeling, it is ok, but please don't discuss it. I made a second posting because it came to my mind later. Look at the time points the postings were made.

I am sure our salt is safe since I use it every day in reef tanks, we have a lot of customers, public aquariums etc., that use it every day. So, how can I be sure?

So why did BRS say that they are stopping using it? Have you not been able to convince them that there is, categorically, no problem?

I’ve been largely supportive of TM until this point. It’s easy to build up a huge wave of unhappy people attacking a single entity (company/person) on the internet and, honestly, I did feel a bit sorry for them until now. However, I’m not sure that string of replies was warranted or helpful.

Whilst I don’t use TM Pro, I do use AFR and that exchange has questioned whether I want to continued to use TM products at all. I understand that they are stressed, and that this may be causing financial hardship for the company, but people need calm, professional, considered answers to genuine questions and concerns.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^

Maybe there is a reason he won’t answer the question about how they can be sure that there is no problem with the German salt? It’s a bit odd that there appears to have been silence for several days and that innocuous post was the one that brought them out of hibernation.

So why did BRS say that they are stopping using it? Have you not been able to convince them that there is, categorically, no problem?

I’ve been largely supportive of TM until this point. It’s easy to build up a huge wave of unhappy people attacking a single entity (company/person) on the internet and, honestly, I did feel a bit sorry for them until now. However, I’m not sure that string of replies was warranted or helpful.

Whilst I don’t use TM Pro, I do use AFR and that exchange has questioned whether I want to continued to use TM products at all. I understand that they are stressed, and that this may be causing financial hardship for the company, but people need calm, professional, considered answers to genuine questions and concerns.
I would venture to say that all of us using the salt have been stressed for quite some time now and then you want to talk about the financial hardship it is probably cost reefers as much if not more money in loss then it’s gonna cost Tm to recall the salt that’s left in peoples houses. But then we can talk about the future for tm and how much money they will lose if this is not taken care of properly from lost customers as many already started to jump ship

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its simple no one trusts the Turkish salt and will pitch it and be ticked with TM. If they want to keep the industry happy just have us provided proof or purchase (ie. send them a cut out of the UPC code) like other companies do and send us a replacement.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its simple no one trusts the Turkish salt and will pitch it and be ticked with TM. If they want to keep the industry happy just have us provided proof or purchase (ie. send them a cut out of the UPC code) like other companies do and send us a replacement.
I 100% agree. I work for ford and obviously we have many recalls. This does not mean the car is bad and people don’t want it anymore. This means they want it recalled fixed to the proper standards they bought it at and continue to love the car. It can go same way for tm salt. I personally will have a very bad taste in my mouth if I’m left throwing away all this salt I have. I WILL NOT BUY TM AGAIN IF I HAVE TO THROW AWAY ALL THIS SALT…

Last edited:

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add to the list of people that has had some LPS troubles since using the turkish salt. My SPS and clams are fine, but my largest colony of frogspawn has not been doing so hot for about 6 months now, and I started using the Turkey mixed salt in September..

anecdotal? Who knows.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would venture to say that all of us using the salt have been stressed for quite some time now and then you want to talk about the financial hardship it is probably cost reefers as much if not more money in loss then it’s gonna cost Tm to recall the salt that’s left in peoples houses

I'm not sure why the aggression against me. Just because you have suffered, it doesn't mean that others haven't too. You could say 'unlucky for them, it's their fault' but they didn't mean to do it, in the same way that Ford doesn't want to release faulty vehicles, but it happens.

TM is facing possibly having to replace/recall a whole year's supply (at least 50% of it assuming it is just the Turkish facility) of their flagship product and it is going to have a huge impact on TM's accounts. They will likely have staff that lose their jobs as a result (if they close the Turkish facility then what will those workers do?) and they are facing an unexpected bill maybe into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is not necessarily the same as a recalling a vehicle, which might have a problem that can be fixed. Imagine Ford having to recall a year's supply of Mustang sales and throw them all in the trash; that would be a major event for Ford.

This will be a major financial event for TM. In the post that you quoted, I was stating that this WAS NOT a valid reason for the responses that were posted earlier.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why the aggression against me. Just because you have suffered, it doesn't mean that others haven't too. You could say 'unlucky for them, it's their fault' but they didn't mean to do it, in the same way that Ford doesn't want to release faulty vehicles, but it happens.

TM is facing possibly having to replace/recall a whole year's supply (at least 50% of it assuming it is just the Turkish facility) of their flagship product and it is going to have a huge impact on TM's accounts. They will likely have staff that lose their jobs as a result (if they close the Turkish facility then what will those workers do?) and they are facing an unexpected bill maybe into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is not necessarily the same as a recalling a vehicle, which might have a problem that can be fixed. Imagine Ford having to recall a year's supply of Mustang sales and throw them all in the trash; that would be a major event for Ford.

This will be a major financial event for TM. In the post that you quoted, I was stating that this WAS NOT a valid reason for the responses that were posted earlier.
Sorry I was not trying to show any aggression towards you I only quoted your post because I felt like you were stating the Tropic Marin is falling on hard times now because of this and I just wanted to point out that we all did also because of it so I do not feel bad for them at all honestly I feel bad for all the reefers out there who for months and months on end having problems just like myself that I could not figure out

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And the funny part I just read your post you don’t even use a Tropic Marin pro so why are you even in this conversation is what I’m trying to figure out because I do use it and I did suffer a loss unlike you. So how do you know how any of us feel when you were not inconvenienced by this at all

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And the funny part I just read your post you don’t even use a Tropic Marin pro so why are you even in this conversation is what I’m trying to figure out because I do use it and I did suffer a loss unlike you

This thread is in the 'General Aquarium Discussion' forum. Sorry, I didn't realise I needed an invite to join in.

I do use TM Products (albeit not TM Pro) so I am interested in how they deal with this.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I 100% agree. I work for ford and obviously we have many recalls. This does not mean the car is bad and people don’t want it anymore. This means they want it recalled fixed to the proper standards they bought it at and continue to love the car. It can go same way for tm salt. I personally will have a very bad taste in my mouth if I’m left throwing away all this salt I have. I WILL NOT BUY TM AGAIN IF I HAVE TO THROW AWAY ALL THIS SALT…

TM has already stated they will replace your salt. So get the salt replaced

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just a word that we should all focus on the forward resolution because of this thread gets heated/personal it will be shut down
And, we lost focus on a really good question from @Cell

If all materials and QC and supervision is the same between Turkey and Germany and you have not determined the cause of contamination yet, how can I be sure German produced salt is safe?

I have that same question and also why we only think this applies to Reef Pro vs the other types of salt. Is it just because that is where the complaints are?
It is a very relevant question and one I had myself. Describing the contaminant as clay gives me little comfort as to what it really is and how it got there.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM has already stated they will replace your salt. So get the salt replaced
Maybe I missed something but I don’t think they have started a recall yet. Brs is replacing unopened cases so far but I think that’s it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I missed something but I don’t think they have started a recall yet. Brs is replacing unopened cases so far but I think that’s it.
Most stores are replacing opened and unopened already. TM specifically stated they are replacing all Turkey salt

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going out on a limb but it comes from a salt plant that uses belts and rollers to get from one place to another in the plant, I bet everything is rusted and its ovrespray and rust dust from the dirty turkey factory. They probably need some work around the plant but don't count that in their analysis.

Just a guess I've only read a little bit this is a book sized thread! Interesting stuff in the beginning and the last few pages its been getting juicy!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going out on a limb but it comes from a salt plant that uses belts and rollers to get from one place to another in the plant, I bet everything is rusted and its ovrespray and rust dust from the dirty turkey factory. They probably need some work around the plant but don't count that in their analysis.

Just a guess I've only read a little bit this is a book sized thread! Interesting stuff in the beginning and the last few pages its been getting juicy!
I think you should have read more. It’s not rust dust as I believe that would show up no problem on icp tests. Also this “dirty Turkish factory” is pretty new and I think was almost brand new when this problem started. I don’t think tm needs people accusing them of having rust in their salt at this point.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my new pail is the turk am half way though it and the bottom of my mixing barrel is gross . my other 2 buckets are from germ and my mixing station was fine

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should have read more. It’s not rust dust as I believe that would show up no problem on icp tests. Also this “dirty Turkish factory” is pretty new and I think was almost brand new when this problem started. I don’t think tm needs people accusing them of having rust in their salt at this point.
Yeah probably not thats why I made all that clear about my thoughts only and that I didn't read the whole thing, but yes get down to the issue and reef on brother

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back