Calling sump DIYer- Help with sump baffle height

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really appreciate all feedback.
Finally I have started assembling my tank and now working with sump phase. It has been on hold for three years since priories changed with new born back then and I have been stuck few days with how to setup the baffles in the sump to have silent water flow from one section to the other with different water height levels.

Whole setup is like in pic_01
Quick facts
Left to right
1- Fuge 50*40*40=80L
2-Media/Frag section~38*30*40=45L
3- Return section 30*40*20=24L
4- Pump off=24L back from overflow+display tank
5- return section will hold half of the water when pump is
off and section 2 and 3 will hold the rest.
The skimmer outlet will be above the water
level when pump is off
6- Main tank is 350L total water volume with main drain
and emergency drain and over the back return line from
pump

pic_01
1609639422968.png

I need help with how high and how many the baffles should be deployed to support the water height level in each section

1- Return section (Fuge) pic_02
Planning to go with Triton method and hence having about 20% of total water volume in first section for fuge. In order to reach that 10-20% (Aiming at 20% when possible), water height should be around 40cm high. Over baffle to section 2

Question_01
Water height in section 1 is 40 cm and in section 2 is 30, this will cause noise with the waterfall over the baffle. A second under baffle would be required here I assume? or even a 3rd over baffle?`The goal is to have silent water flow from section 1 to section 2 with water height 40cm in first and 30cm in second.

pic_02
1609639700467.png

Section 2 pic_03
will host the skimmer return pump, media reactors and thought maybe to have some live rock and frag racks. Water height is 30 cm here. According to triton method, the 2nd baffle before 2nd section should be under to give more time for the skimmer to catch nutrias as much as possible.

Question_02
Same as Question_0, what baffle setup required between section 2 and 3 to have silent water flow and 30cm water height is 2nd and 20cm in 3rd section?

pic_03
1609639809620.png

3-Return section pic_04
Hosting the skimmer body only and the return pump to display tank. Water level is 20cm but maybe lowering to to 15cm

pic_04
1609640429972.png

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would put your skimmer in section 2. Section 3 is the only part where water levels will fluctuate ( lowest part of your system), so with your skimmer in that chamber, you may have trouble maintaining the skimmer level. That’s my biggest thought. Without doing double baffles over then under, you may get splashing noises as the water flows to each chamber. Maybe make the lelvel difference not as drastic between chambers to help eliminate splashing noise. Otherwise, it looks good.

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would put your skimmer in section 2. Section 3 is the only part where water levels will fluctuate ( lowest part of your system), so with your skimmer in that chamber, you may have trouble maintaining the skimmer level. That’s my biggest thought. Without doing double baffles over then under, you may get splashing noises as the water flows to each chamber. Maybe make the lelvel difference not as drastic between chambers to help eliminate splashing noise. Otherwise, it looks good.
I got a life reef skimmer and I have the skimmer pump in the 2nd section already. I assume water fluctuating in section three will not be affecting the skimmer performance if it is feeds from pump in section two.

So if I use Over-Under-Over baffles, will I be able to maintain the water height differently (10 cm different) between the sections? I

Thanks a lot for the feedback

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer discharge could get bubbles into the return pump and then into the tank. Where are you going to place ATO sensor?

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer discharge could get bubbles into the return pump and then into the tank. Where are you going to place ATO sensor?
True, I was planning to connect a hose from the skimmer outlet to section 2. ATO sensor to be in section 3 as far as I read.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a life reef skimmer and I have the skimmer pump in the 2nd section already. I assume water fluctuating in section three will not be affecting the skimmer performance if it is feeds from pump in section two.

So if I use Over-Under-Over baffles, will I be able to maintain the water height differently (10 cm different) between the sections? I

Thanks a lot for the feedback
That is interesting. I see now that your skimmer pump is in chamber 2. I would still think that the water level in chamber 3 will influence the level in your skimmer. And as it raises and lowers, your skimmer level will fluctuate accordingly. My skimmer is external to my sump, and for me, as my sump level rises, so does my skimmer level. So I would believe the same thing will happen for you, which is why I would suggest putting your skimmer into a chamber that does not have its water level change. Then you can just let the skimmer overflow into chamber 2 without running any extra piping, and not have to worry as much about bubbles getting into your display tank.

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it will not matter but I get your point now. Big thanks.
I will move the skimmer to section 2 in this case. I guess i was overthinking this to have more space in section 2 for no valid reason. Maybe I will make ATO reservoir in the old location of the skimmer in section three in that corner.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back