Calm free swimming shoaling fish

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am in the process off stocking a low energy fish that's buld around my mandarin dragonette.
I is a 55g tank which is connected to a 75g high energy sps tank, a 17g refugium and a 13g sump.
The tank will have lps and zoas and maybe some high end ricordeas.

I current fish in the 55g are:

1x mandarin
2x firefish
1x firehawk
1x yellow watchman goby
1x pistol schrimp
1x fighting conch
10x hermid
And a bunch of snails.

I don't want any of these fish I already have in the 75g tank.
1x yellow tang
1x bristeltooth tang
5x wrasse (1x flasher, 2x fairy, 1 halichoeres, 1x coris)
3x chromis
2x ocellaris
1x purple dottyback
1x slalarias

I'd like to add some calm free swimming fish to the 55g who aren't shy or harmful to the corals but I can't really think of one.

Chromis, anthias and wrasse are not compatible with the tank I want to make as they are way too active and out compete the other fish on food.
A dwarf angle is a bit too risky to me in a tank with lots of lps..

I don't like pyama cardinals and although I think banggai cardinals are pretty they tend to be very shy just like the fire fish I already have.
They spend there time basically on the same spot all day preferably in a low light area which seems boring to me.
They also have a short live spawn and are not super cheap around here (38 euro).

So I can't really think of a good alternative..

Does any one has any idea?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Domino damsels! They are definitely not afraid and will shoal - have been peaceful for me living with clowns , six line , dottyback , blenny

Attachments

• 12A7F9C2-931B-4F6A-8FEB-E52347AA85F1.jpeg
    12A7F9C2-931B-4F6A-8FEB-E52347AA85F1.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Damsel fish can become super aggressive..
They tend to behave when they are young but get more aggressive as they age.
How long do you have your damsels and how big is your tank?
Awesom natural looking tank btw :D

Pipe fish are definitely a fish I consider in the future but first I want to see how the pod population holds up with the manderin as pipe fish have the same food on the menu.
Also as far I know pipe fish are rock dwelling.
Definitely awesome fish tough and perfect for the kind of tank I want to create.
Thank for the suggestion!

The 55g tank is only 3 months old btw and the 75g and fuge 2 years old.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Damsel fish can become super aggressive..
They tend to behave when they are young but get more aggressive as they age.
How long do you have your damsels and how big is your tank?
Awesom natural looking tank btw :D

Pipe fish are definitely a fish I consider in the future but first I want to see how the pod population holds up with the manderin as pipe fish have the same food on the menu.
Also as far I know pipe fish are rock dwelling.
Definitely awesome fish tough and perfect for the kind of tank I want to create.
Thank for the suggestion!

The 55g tank is only 3 months old btw and the 75g and fuge 2 years old.
Thanks! I have only had them since March so less than a year but they have behaved so far and also host the anemones when clowns let them. I haven’t noticed aggression from them after settling in , occasionally chase the black/white damsel but it’s quick and no harm done. I have them in a 40b

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at some of the different Cardinal Fish. I have 3 Seale Cardinals. You could also look at the very similiar yellow or yellow stripe cardinal.

Aggressive eaters but otherwise mostly peaceful except for one who sometimes like to chase the other 2 or sometimes even my small gobies but not very often.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some Chalk Bass?
They're great fish, but they're somewhat aggressive -- mine likes to chase other fish and is definitely the dominant fish in the tank. They both look like, and act like, miniature groupers. I can't imagine a shoaling group.

Pygmy dwarf white spotted filefish are wonderful, and they can be kept in groups. I don't think that they exhibit true shoaling behaviour, though.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at some of the different Cardinal Fish. I have 3 Seale Cardinals. You could also look at the very similiar yellow or yellow stripe cardinal.

Aggressive eaters but otherwise mostly peaceful except for one who sometimes like to chase the other 2 or sometimes even my small gobies but not very often.
+1 on cardinalfish! They seem like an ideal consideration.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the first thing I thought of when I read “calm” lol they are pretty much like statues in the tank
That depends on the species, right? I've seen videos of some species, such as Yellowstriped (Ostorhincus cyanosoma), Seale's (Ostorhincus sealei), and Red Spot (Apogon parvulus) that are constantly on the move similar to some freshwater fishes while some others, such as Bangai and Pajama (Sphaeramia nematoptera) tend to hang in one place most of the time.

So far, my only personal cardinalfish experience is limited to only 5 Red Stop Light cardinalfish that have only been in my QT since Tuesday, are naturally nocturnal, and hang out in the corners or under objects in the tank. I'll see if they end up coming out in the daytime once in my display or if they "shoal".

Last edited:

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on the species, right? I've seen videos of some species, such as Yellowstriped (Ostorhincus cyanosoma), Seale's (Ostorhincus sealei), and Red Spot (Apogon parvulus) that are constantly on the move similar to some freshwater fishes while some others, such as Bangai and Pajama (Sphaeramia nematoptera) tend to hang in one place most of the time.

So far, my only personal cardinalfish experience is limited to only 5 Red Stop Light cardinalfish that have only been in my QT since Tuesday, are naturally nocturnal, and hang out in the corners or under objects in the tank. I'll see if they end up coming out in the daytime once in my display or if they "shoal".

Yes in my Experience Bangaii just kind of bob mostly, but my seales are resonably active. Not as much so as say a tang but not a stationary fish. Mine are most active when my light switches to 1% blue in the evening but are active during the day and seem to sleep when its pitch black in the tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try 3-4 springeri damselfish or azures damselfish, both very peaceful fish, but i wouldnt say many free swimming fish are low energy imo.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vanderbilt chromis are hit or miss but another peaceful shoaling fish. again i wouldnt say low energy though

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinal fish are definitely a good option.
Color wise they do seem a bit dull and the bangaii are even less active than the firefish I have.
Bangaii cardinals look awesome btw but yea that statue behavior is just so lame..

Chalk brass seems to be a fish behaving like a dotty back.. or am I wrong?
So I mean they hide alot and not really swim free..

I think damsels are just to big of a risk altough I do think they are fun to watch and very pretty.

I already have chromis in my 75g so I prefer to have other fish in the 55g.

I does indeed look like any true free swimming fish is an active fish.

I have found this anthias species named Luzonichthys Whitleyi.
They are very small at 2 inch adult size peacefull, reefsafe and they seem to be less active than most anthias species.
But it could be that I just want them to be more calm :rolleyes:
They have awesome color though!
Does any one has any experience with these anthias species?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Escenius midas- Bright, free swimmers 95% of the time.
I know you don’t want the same species HOWEVER, naoko fairy wrasse (C. Naokoae). Mine is a beauty. And how can you have no wrasse in a tank - Fairies don’t compete for pod eaters because they’re phytoplankton eaters. You also said “Same Species” the genus Cirrhilabrus aren’t all the same species and has 51 or so species of wrasse.
IMHO, any coris needs a tank bigger than 4’. These guys are very fast and tend to get giant.
I also have a Cryptic Sixline (Pseudocheilinops ataenia) and he yes hangs out more round the rocks but can be an open water swimmer - As with every fish.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinal fish are definitely a good option.
Color wise they do seem a bit dull and the bangaii are even less active than the firefish I have.
Bangaii cardinals look awesome btw but yea that statue behavior is just so lame..
Which cardinals do you consider a bit dull color-wise? There are many options with plenty of different colors to choose from in smaller cardinals that typically exhibit more movement than Bangaii carinals.

The ones listed below tend to be more active swimmers, though they are typically naturally nocturnal and take time to get used to tank schedule to be active or feed during the day.

For instance:
Red Stop Light Cardinalfish (Apogonichthys hyalinus)
1636135932300.jpeg

Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma)
1636136026592.jpeg

Ochrestriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus compressus)
1636136103563.jpeg

Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
1636136116838.jpeg

I'm not trying to enforce the choice of cardinalfish, but there are some interesting color choices available, in my opinion.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which cardinals do you consider a bit dull color-wise? There are many options with plenty of different colors to choose from in smaller cardinals that typically exhibit more movement than Bangaii carinals.

The ones listed below tend to be more active swimmers, though they are typically naturally nocturnal and take time to get used to tank schedule to be active or feed during the day.

For instance:
Red Stop Light Cardinalfish (Apogonichthys hyalinus)
1636135932300.jpeg

Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma)
1636136026592.jpeg

Ochrestriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus compressus)
1636136103563.jpeg

Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
1636136116838.jpeg

I'm not trying to enforce the choice of cardinalfish, but there are some interesting color choices available, in my opinion.
I think that the possibility of captive-bred specimens would be an important consideration here. You'd think that they'd be bred for aquarium tolerance and more likely to display the desired behaviour.

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrases are my favorite fish so far, but I think they just do not fit in the 55g tank.
All other fish in the 55g are such slow and finicky eaters.
My previous expenience with firefish is that they just choose not to eat when a bunch of fish charge at the food like crazy like wrasse do.
The anthias I mentioned are probably also too energetic for the tank I want to create I realize, most fish are.

Tose ochre and aspecialy the yellowstriped cardinal fish look cuite nice.
No captive bread specimens of those fish available around here (only bangaii).

Altough they probably are not gonna occupie the space I'd like them to I think I gonna go with the yellowstriped cardinals if I can find some around here.
How many would you reccomend in a 55g tank?
I read they prever to live in groups of 7 fish or more but that seems alot for a 55g.

I am first gonna get some more corals like eyphillia and maybe a gorgonia so there is some more shelter and shade for the cardinals.
Currently I dont think I got enough hiding places in the rock work to make them feel at ease.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrases are my favorite fish so far, but I think they just do not fit in the 55g tank.
All other fish in the 55g are such slow and finicky eaters.
My previous expenience with firefish is that they just choose not to eat when a bunch of fish charge at the food like crazy like wrasse do.
The anthias I mentioned are probably also too energetic for the tank I want to create I realize, most fish are.

Tose ochre and aspecialy the yellowstriped cardinal fish look cuite nice.
No captive bread specimens of those fish available around here (only bangaii).

Altough they probably are not gonna occupie the space I'd like them to I think I gonna go with the yellowstriped cardinals if I can find some around here.
How many would you reccomend in a 55g tank?
I read they prever to live in groups of 7 fish or more but that seems alot for a 55g.

I am first gonna get some more corals like eyphillia and maybe a gorgonia so there is some more shelter and shade for the cardinals.
Currently I dont think I got enough hiding places in the rock work to make them feel at ease.
Yellowstriped cardinals are still in the running for my 125 reef plans, so I've read a bit about them. They do not get as large as the ochre-striped cardinals, so they would be a better choice for you.

From what I've read, I think the yellowstriped cardials would do fine in a group of 3-5 in your 55-gallon tank. Cardinalfish do like to have a "bolt-hole" or place to dart under cover. They seem more likely to be emboldened if they feel they have a reliable safety nearby.

I think they are naturally nocturnal, but have read of success with training into daytime feeding schedules and general diurnal activity.

I've also read that they are more likely to be bold if there is a larger fish in the tank that swims openly, indicating safe conditions, though I don't know what would be the best recommendation for a 55-gallon tank. I plan to have foxfaces and tangs in my 125 (but these are too large for a 55) that will hopefully be good safety indicators for the cardinalfish.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back