Calothrix?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to ID this algae that been growing on some of the rock work and also the crab shell. I believe it's or at least looks like Calothrix which my initial research say it's a type of Cyano.

The crab looks like a troll, I had to laugh when I first saw him. He was hiding/missing for 2 weeks.

Troll.jpg Calothrix.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is a 20 then ID won’t help any

this will, action

see how in two hours both tanks are reset

once forced clean, then begin ID and clean up crew or dosers or param changes, never do that in the invaded condition though when reefing with easily handled nanos

all algae controls in a nano are effected in the clean condition vs the totally invaded condition. Safer for your animals and more likely to win

even if a treatment was known for that you don’t want rotting algae filling up every nook, thats a cyano invasion tradeoff in two months, cleaning cannot be bested by anything currently in the hobby it’s why the after pics are so sharp. A deep clean does not stop algae, coralline and correct light balance stops algae given good topoff water, decent grazer balance etc

there is no requirement to figure all that out in the invaded condition, you have a way to make the reef shine up quickly and work out the challenges on a smaller scale

Last edited:
OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429
Remove the rock, applied peroxide with a spray bottle, and after a few minutes scrub away. I then rinsed with some new saltwater a couple of times and placed back on tank. Looks a lot better!

Should I wait a few days before doing the same process on the other rocks? Or only on the ones with the same type of algae?

Also is it safe to continue dosing Vibrant as part of the maintenance/preventive process? I still have a bit of bubble algae.

Last when should I resume testing? My Nitrate were really low but I assume it was because of the algae.

Attachments

• 20210117_125149_HDR.jpg
    20210117_125149_HDR.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 48

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nice pre modeling let’s check back on Tuesday or so before proceeding

I really think that rock will work well compared to non treated ones but it’s no rush since the reef has been running this long

the method includes the full take down sand rinse, some of the invasion is housed up as bits in there to come back, but no need to start with the deep clean until the test rocks show nice behavior compared to the others in a few days

cleaning the sandbed made way in both the example reefs for future headaches to have far less waste and feed. As of now if you reached in your sandbed and grabbed sand and dropped it, a massive dangerous cloud would result

so if the test rocks show good promise, cleaning from the bottom up and then hitting the last rocks this way is the home run

i like seeing how the initial rock behaves before all the work. If it’s looking sharp in a couple days I would hammer the system back into compliance like we did for WVU

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test won’t play much of a role over physical cleaning in my opinion. After the system is tuned up, and made clean, then testing will help to balance coral coloration and system health but params play little role in curbing this growth

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back