Can’t decide whether to run dual returns

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone. Happy Sunday. I need some help. I’m plumbing my Red Sea 750xxl right now and can’t figure out if I want to run dual return pumps or not. For this build I purchased a cor-20 return. I have an extra maxspect return lying around due to a tank crash. It was literally only used for 3 months. I can’t figure out if I want to use the maxspect return or not. Ideally, if running two returns, I’d like them both to be cors for consistency in programming. I know the cor has some features that the maxspect won’t have since I’ll be running with apex. Would you all skip the second pump or add the maxspect? Maybe leave it as a backup if needed?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a debate I'm having with myself now. Yes, it's a built in backup (which is the point I guess) although I have my doubts at how often having dual pumps really saved a tank from crashing. Still I do like the idea of having two DC pumps with adjustable flow (even if features limited).

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Happy Sunday. I need some help. I’m plumbing my Red Sea 750xxl right now and can’t figure out if I want to run dual return pumps or not. For this build I purchased a cor-20 return. I have an extra maxspect return lying around due to a tank crash. It was literally only used for 3 months. I can’t figure out if I want to use the maxspect return or not. Ideally, if running two returns, I’d like them both to be cors for consistency in programming. I know the cor has some features that the maxspect won’t have since I’ll be running with apex. Would you all skip the second pump or add the maxspect? Maybe leave it as a backup if needed?
I am running 2 Cor's on my returns. I started with 2 Cor 15's both died I have 2 Cor 20's now. I did this mainly because I am away from the tank often, with the Cor's I have pretty good feedback, and if 1 goes out I can get by with 1.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back