Can’t upload pics

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says the marketing - but not reality :)

BTW google does not care about providing you with a quality phone or experience. Google's only goal for ANY of their consumer products is to facilitate dependence and comfort with their ecosystem for the purposes of data collection and monetization, which is their core business.

As for my "hate" of Android - I can exactly articulate why I dislike the platform as it compares to others. It is not "blind" or "biased" hatred, it is fact based. Other people may not care about my criteria and have their own. Somebody above felt that the autocorrect was the "deal maker" between it and other platforms.
Roger that, Thank you for the knowledge. I enjoy my phone and the experience but I am happy to have learned something from you today.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW google does not care about providing you with a quality phone or experience. Google's only goal for ANY of their consumer products is to facilitate dependence and comfort with their ecosystem for the purposes of data collection and monetization, which is their core business.
Not for nothing but this is the EXACT business model Apple has. So much so that they had to pass a law in Europe to stop it with the proprietary charger cable nonsense and use a standard usb c. They held out not for any other reason than money; you had to buy thier cable. Don't get me started on thier wireless charging 'technology'. Thier campaign years ago 'think outside the box' was baffling to me as you literally cannot do anything 'outside of the apple box'... But yeah this debate has been done before...

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haters will always hate, no biggie. It's pure Android, but whatever :) I also use both phones, 1 for work and 1 is my personal phone, but I wasn't trying to start a ticking contest I was just making a joke, sorry! :) I'm glad you like your tank pictures better with your iphone, that sounds really cool my kid loves tanks.

It’s pure Android huh? Is that the Android Samsung gets before putting OneUI over it? Is that why every Pixel exclusive feature is available on every Android device?

Not a contest. Just correcting inaccurate information. Pixel is how Google envisions Android but certainly isn’t the OS they are sending every other manufacturer

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haters will always hate, no biggie. It's pure Android, but whatever :) I also use both phones, 1 for work and 1 is my personal phone, but I wasn't trying to start a ticking contest I was just making a joke, sorry! :) I'm glad you like your tank pictures better with your iphone, that sounds really cool my kid loves tanks.

And let me add to my other post.

I’m not trying to be rude or “win” in any way. I’d love if Google made another compelling Pixel. I went over 15 years on Android from the very first G1. There are things on Pixel that blow Apple away but the same is true the other way. I certainly don’t fault anyone for choosing one over the other. Except my wife. She needs to get with the program and get an iPhone :zany-face: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for nothing but this is the EXACT business model Apple has. So much so that they had to pass a law in Europe to stop it with the proprietary charger cable nonsense and use a standard usb c. They held out not for any other reason than money; you had to buy thier cable. Don't get me started on thier wireless charging 'technology'. Thier campaign years ago 'think outside the box' was baffling to me as you literally cannot do anything 'outside of the apple box'... But yeah this debate has been done before...
Far from exact, the business models could not be any more different unless one was selling steak as a core function and the other selling vegan massage therapy as a core business.

Google’s business is data and everything Google does in the consumer space is data. They leverage their computing power built to collect and manage that data to also sell and pay for their computing resources and scale.

Apple’s business is primarily hardware products, with some RMR based on services and has ALWAYS favored proprietary peripherals as closed ecosystem to push their hardware.

Microsoft’s core business is software and now software as a service. They struggle with data monetization and hardware monetization. Their azure fabric and the RMR is their Lifeline.

Amazon‘s core business model is resale of cheap import goods and they have leveraged the computing prowess used to build that service to build a formidable RMR model based on cloud computing delivery in the form of AWS.

None of these companies operate from anywhere near the same business model, save three of them leverage their huge data centers to resell hosted computing services as a secondary revenue stream.

Google = data monetization and tools to collect that data
Apple = proprietary hardware ecosystem
Microsoft = hardware agnostic software and SaaS
Amazon = Retail goods and hosted computing services

Last edited:

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And let me add to my other post.

I’m not trying to be rude or “win” in any way. I’d love if Google made another compelling Pixel. I went over 15 years on Android from the very first G1. There are things on Pixel that blow Apple away but the same is true the other way. I certainly don’t fault anyone for choosing one over the other. Except my wife. She needs to get with the program and get an iPhone :zany-face: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I really wish the Pixel watch was like the Apple Watch, it's not even close. The Apple Watch is so dang nice!

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. In my line of work apple is not even sitting at the table. Idk what they're waiting for tbh. People seem to like thier devices...that they connect to all the other services you mentioned with.. Odd business model imo. Almost seems like they don't know what to do next. Another lense on the new phone? A bit lackluster imo

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. In my line of work apple is not even sitting at the table. Idk what they're waiting for tbh.
They don't want any part of that market or a seat at that table. They stay pretty much in their lane and do what they are very good at; building proprietary devices that fit within their closed ecosystem. It was decades before they even had 3rd party printer drivers or allowed them on their platform. They had a server product and tried to dabble in enterprise, it was not a good fit for them.

There becoming a mainstay in small and even mid size business. Most <100 seat shops don't need AD or AzureAD and leverage SaaS and either SSO or discrete 2FA/MFA where appropriate... even if mail is hosted on O365.

People seem to like thier devices...that they connect to all the other services you mentioned with.. Odd business model imo. Almost seems like they don't know what to do next. Another lense on the new phone? A bit lackluster imo
It is not an odd business model. They built a very ergonomic ecosystem and sell hardware. Microsoft peddles garbage to the masses and underpins it with their server product and Enterprise footprint. They sell software and SaaS.

Again - the business model have absolutely nothing in common other than they relate to computing.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really wish the Pixel watch was like the Apple Watch, it's not even close. The Apple Watch is so dang nice!

Agreed. Pixel Watch is so far off it’s laughable Google even tried. I have to have my watch for notifications and everything while at work so it’s a major factor for me

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't want any part of that market or a seat at that table. They stay pretty much in their lane and do what they are very good at; building proprietary devices that fit within their closed ecosystem. It was decades before they even had 3rd party printer drivers or allowed them on their platform. They had a server product and tried to dabble in enterprise, it was not a good fit for them.

There becoming a mainstay in small and even mid size business. Most <100 seat shops don't need AD or AzureAD and leverage SaaS and either SSO or discrete 2FA/MFA where appropriate... even if mail is hosted on O365.

It is not an odd business model. They built a very ergonomic ecosystem and sell hardware. Microsoft peddles garbage to the masses and underpins it with their server product and Enterprise footprint. They sell software and SaaS.

Again - the business model have absolutely nothing in common other than they relate to computing.
I hear ya. I get it too. I do. I just see the end point devices as all the same; apple, android; all connecting to the same saas, etc. At this point (2024) they offer the same reliable functionality. If you get a low end model, well you get what you pay for with Android (various manufacturers) and maybe a little better with Apple (i think they have a lower end model now)... I know I steered it away from workstation level talk, sorry.

I will say, I bet I could show ya some really cool (innovative imo) stuff my galaxy can do...still waiting for someone with an iPhone to show me the same sort of (non social media) stuff; just my op obviously people love their iPhones...

I don't mean to come across as a hater either. My first (bought ots) computer was an Apple Macintosh and my first smart phone was an iPhone (many many years later obv), after having multiple iPod models. I'm an avid Podcast listener. That said....I haven't had a reason to go back. Remember when Apple let third party manufacturers build computers? I had a PowerPC Apple too. They were almost bust but they hit the jackpot with the iPod :). What's next Apple? Surely it can't be USB C...that's just catch-up

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just see the end point devices as all the same; apple, android; all connecting to the same saas, etc. At this point (2024) they offer the same reliable functionality.
But they are not the same:
Apple - insists on everything working exactly the same from "About" to Menu Structures, number of nested menus, when to use different objects (radio, picker, etc.) and delivers a predictable and unified user experience. They manage their own security and have a very small number of builds and a unified OS. They are secure and EASY EASY EASY to support.

Android - a literal free for all from the device builds to 3rd party apps. Nobody cares and everyone does their own thing. Every carrier selects what components they want for every build. No two devices have the same menus, sub components, screen layouts, etc. This means security patching is PER DEVICE not OS based. This means that support is a nightmare, from simple "here is how to setup your email" to bug smashing and app troubleshooting.

I will say, I bet I could show ya some really cool (innovative imo) stuff my galaxy can do...still waiting for someone with an iPhone to show me the same sort of (non social media) stuff; just my op obviously people love their iPhones...
I don't love my phone and I don't need it to do "neat things". It is a tool and I just want it to work reliably. And when I get a new one I want it to work the same. When I support somebody, I want theirs to work like mine. etc. I don't need to "jailbreak" it. I don't want it to run unsigned apps and I don't want to be able to hack it and turn it into a tazer, phazer, laser pointer, or submarine controller.

I don't mean to come across as a hater either. My first (bought ots) computer was an Apple Macintosh and my first smart phone was an iPhone (many many years later obv), after having multiple iPod models. I'm an avid Podcast listener. That said....I haven't had a reason to go back. Remember when Apple let third party manufacturers build computers? I had a PowerPC Apple too. They were almost bust but they hit the jackpot with the iPod :). What's next Apple? Surely it can't be USB C...that's just catch-up
Apple licensed their OS for 2 years. It was a disaster because the clone makers targeted Apple's core customers with cheaper Macs that were also mostly garbage.

It failed because (again) Apple's core business is HARDWARE that runs their ecosystem and the clones cannibalized that.

I find it almost laughable to cite USB-C as "catch-up" when everything Microsoft does is "catch-up", both in design and in market monetization. Moreover, love or hate apple, they have primarily been a technology innovator. Their fire-wire and lightening protocols were ahead of their time and filled a gap that the standards organizations and IBM-PC centric and IEEE brainchildren couldn't. They just didn't share it (back to the proprietary model). Their airport was ahead of its time, as were many other inventions and problem solutions.

So we come full circle - Apple has not only survived, but excelled in a world where they shouldn't exist due to the OS monopoly that Microsoft has held for decades, not due to its quality, but due to its enterprise footprint and the fact that they literally gave it away for free both purposefully and by allowing piracy for decades without having to worry in the slightest about hardware development.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they are not the same:
Apple - insists on everything working exactly the same from "About" to Menu Structures, number of nested menus, when to use different objects (radio, picker, etc.) and delivers a predictable and unified user experience. They manage their own security and have a very small number of builds and a unified OS. They are secure and EASY EASY EASY to support.

Android - a literal free for all from the device builds to 3rd party apps. Nobody cares and everyone does their own thing. Every carrier selects what components they want for every build. No two devices have the same menus, sub components, screen layouts, etc. This means security patching is PER DEVICE not OS based. This means that support is a nightmare, from simple "here is how to setup your email" to bug smashing and app troubleshooting.
I don't care that they insist that, not sure your point here. What was the last Android you used? Do you really think it's the wild west? I don't jailbreak anything either; never have. Everything is either through Google play store or Samsung app store; bad players in there, maybe. Who knows.

The same, same same menus thing, to me is exactly why I don't like it. Same reason I don't like Google's UI. Too minimalist for me. I can't recall the issues I had with it specifically at the time(it's been a while now). Interfacing through iTunes was an absolute mess and you were forced to do so to get any music, etc. And then the proprietary file formats...uggh. Maybe it's better now; hopefully. Android acts as a usb drive when plugged in, plop music on and it's there when you fire up the music app.

I don't support these devices, never have. I have talked to colleagues who do and have said they're virtually the same now with a few more 'user' needed interactions forced by Knox, etc.
I don't love my phone and I don't need it to do "neat things". It is a tool and I just want it to work reliably. And when I get a new one I want it to work the same. When I support somebody, I want theirs to work like mine. etc. I don't need to "jailbreak" it. I don't want it to run unsigned apps and I don't want to be able to hack it and turn it into a tazer, phazer, laser pointer, or submarine controller.
Not sure I appreciate the tone here but I don't 'need' my phone to do anything either. I 'want' it to, especially for the price I paid for it! lol! I upgraded to the next same model and everything is seamlessly there where it was. In fact I have a tablet, watch and TV that have SEAMLESS integration. Something Apple cannot truly offer without being in the TV game; which again is odd to me that they are not. Of course they'd probably start at 10k but...it'd be an Apple ;) I know they have that junky little box..ok....
I find it almost laughable to cite USB-C as "catch-up" when everything Microsoft does is "catch-up", both in design and in market monetization. Moreover, love or hate apple, they have primarily been a technology innovator. Their fire-wire and lightening protocols were ahead of their time and filled a gap that the standards organizations and IBM-PC centric and IEEE brainchildren couldn't. They just didn't share it (back to the proprietary model). Their airport was ahead of its time, as were many other inventions and problem solutions.
Jumped ship here to Microsoft but I get what you're saying. I don't think we disagree here. Apple is premium hardware but I don't see the innovation....at least for a while now. If something comes along that blows my hair back, I'd jump ship in a moment......my hair ain't movin

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the last Android you used? Do you really think it's the wild west?
Yes, very much it is the wild west.
I don't use an Android, but unfortunately have to support them in various environments. I also stay very up to date with threat and vulnerability assessments for various platforms and technology in general. There is real world impact here both enterprise and consumer, like it or not.

The same, same same menus thing, to me is exactly why I don't like it.
Whatever makes YOU happy, but constancy makes support, development and end user experience easy, predictable and trainable, it makes bugs easily trackable, security easily patched, etc. This is real, time and dollars stuff.

Not sure I appreciate the tone here but I don't 'need' my phone to do anything either. I 'want' it to, especially for the price I paid for it!
There was no tone. I see these devices as tools, not toys. You keep throwing stuff at me to justify your like of the platform. I am simply responding. I don't like the platform for many reasons, most of them due to security and support, part of them actual usr experience. I have not argued my user experience preferences and don't care about yours. That is not the really the context here. :)

lol! I upgraded to the next same model and everything is seamlessly there where it was.
Both MacOS and IOS have been doing this for years, seamlessly, long before any other platform. I don't see your point.

In fact I have a tablet, watch and TV that have SEAMLESS integration. Something Apple cannot truly offer without being in the TV game;
I don't give a hoot about TV integration and don't choose my phone or my customers business platform based on entertainment value.

Apple is premium hardware but I don't see the innovation....at least for a while now. If something comes along that blows my hair back, I'd jump ship in a moment......my hair ain't movin
I am not choosing technology based on who can "blow my hair back" and that has nothing to do with where we started.

Again, I choose technology as a tool to accomplish the tasks that it is designed for.

If we are going to start listing personal preferences. I don't need my phone to fake depth of field, replace peoples heads in photos, use AI to predict my appointments or my prime ovulation moment or be sensitive to my mood. I don't need it or want it to finish typing for me or replace words that IT thinks convey my message better or suggest to me how to be non offensive or inclusive in my language, etc. You may want one or all of those things... This conversation was not about that.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets look at it as a tool then (this could literally go on forever but I'll play ball)...
AX Wifi (wifi 6) - just came out on Apple; have had it for years on my phone; upgraded router years ago
USB C (I Know i said it before) - Apple just got this; have had this on $20 ear pods for at least 4 years now
Waterproof - my android has been waterproof for at least 6 years now (if not more), the first model released in 2010; I think Apple caught up in 2016
WIreless charging - came out in 2011 for samsung; 2017 for iphones - my phone can charge your phone... Apple continues to try to force the proprietary overpriced bs by making that magnetic ring thing and cleverly tricking people into thinking it only works with that...tsk...tsk..tsk...

As far as controlling the hardware also, samsung manufactures the memory and cpu; good enough for me if that's something I care about (I don't, I build computers with all sorts of parts lol) - thing has 12 gb of RAM! 8 core cpu! - productivity is unmatched...again imo

I guess from a support perspective things are vastly different; Idk truthfully but again...innovation is what I'm interested in (if we're continuing this argument ;) I mean I only care about it to a point lol)

What am I missing that's so awesome? Stuff is the same? Management? Please don't say blue bubbles when you text lol

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be fair, Samsung phones need at least 12GB of RAM because they need that to even function. They are horribly inefficient with RAM management. Apple silicon kills Snapdragon and Exynos is straight trash. I do really like the "multi screen" on my wife's S22 UItra (used to be mine for a year before she took it to replace her Pixel 6 Pro.) That multi screen is awesome the one time a year I need it lol

The one area that Samsung really wins is the S pen! I loved that thing and used it a ton

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often regret getting into these arguments (I know, I know, I started it). People have chosen their lane by now. It's just that I'm usually surrounded by iPhone fanboy nonsense and sometimes I just gotta get it out lol; weird platform for that I'll admit. Both are FAR from perfect. Let's be real. To espouse one as blatant junk though just seems a bit out of touch these days, imo.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back