Phos-Start trail blazers

tetonair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8249.jpeg
I can’t help it. I’m a sucker for new and better. Anybody else out there starting up a tank with a Phos-Start? I have been using it for a couple weeks now on a 20 gallon nano. The tank had already been going for about two months when I started using P-S. Phosphates are starting to come up I think. It’s weird my marine master Hannah Checker is all over the place with the phosphate readings. I can’t tell if it’s just user error or something to do with the P-S. Probably just too early to tell. I think/hope my last reading is an error due to contamination somehow.

I’m interested to know how it’s going for you guys that are trying it as well.

I watched the video from TM about using P-S and how it does not raise dissolved phosphates but then he shows that when he does the test without filtering out the PS the reading is off the charts because the reagent dissolves the particles. So what does that mean for me? When I am testing my tank, I presume that there are still phosphate particles because I am not filtering them out like he did. So my phosphate readings are showing these particulate phosphates along with whatever dissolved phosphates, there are in my system.
Is this why my phosphate readings are so volatile?

IMG_8287.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8249.jpeg
I can’t help it. I’m a sucker for new and better. Anybody else out there starting up a tank with a Phos-Start? I have been using it for a couple weeks now on a 20 gallon nano. The tank had already been going for about two months when I started using P-S. Phosphates are starting to come up I think. It’s weird my marine master Hannah Checker is all over the place with the phosphate readings. I can’t tell if it’s just user error or something to do with the P-S. Probably just too early to tell. I think/hope my last reading is an error due to contamination somehow.

I’m interested to know how it’s going for you guys that are trying it as well.

I watched the video from TM about using P-S and how it does not raise dissolved phosphates but then he shows that when he does the test without filtering out the PS the reading is off the charts because the reagent dissolves the particles. So what does that mean for me? When I am testing my tank, I presume that there are still phosphate particles because I am not filtering them out like he did. So my phosphate readings are showing these particulate phosphates along with whatever dissolved phosphates, there are in my system.
Is this why my phosphate readings are so volatile?

IMG_8287.jpeg
I think you have the answer. The acidic test solution is dissolving the phosphate mineral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back