can a tank be to mature

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss has had is tank up for 10 or 15 years but recently i talked him into getting a more colorful piece and it died instantly. it has xenia, regular brown zoaithid colonies and frags and another type of pulsing something or anothers the grow like weeds my question once something stays the exact same for this period of time do you think its so established it would be bad to change or what because he wants more color but every time we by a frag or anything it dies but the currnt stock thrives? puzzling realy

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type of coral did he add?

Those types of corals you mentioned he has thriving will also thrive under pretty basic conditions as well as survive under even the worst water conditions.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thinki it was a torch on the last try its maintained by a local guy with a good rep leaving names out but hes running 2 150 watt 14k on a 60 gal reef ready with drain sock and in sump skimmer (cant remeber axact name its a black rectangle shaped box) and then the return for flow a modded maxijet600 and a powerhead and ofcourse return. the only time this tank is touched is once a month cleaning and level check ruglar water top offs no room for an ATO an additive block to mantain essestial elemts. it has been up and going for 15 years and about 5 years ago they had to prune everything back i was just curiouse because it might just be time to get a new tank and start over numerouse scratchs and so on from kids and employess attempting to clean the glass.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was it just the one piece that died?

If so it could have been a couple things other than the tank.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no weve tried a few lps but maybe too much light lol i never went with him when he made purchases but i know the guy personally that he bought them from and ive only lost one frag from him and im about to restock my tank even after the light upgrade. rev would you go with the 8 bulb t5 fixtur or the six or would the 4 be just fine. i want to kep sps and have a true mixed reef that actually grows and these power compacts have to go! sorry for the off topic question

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 64 48.9%
  • Full frame

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back