Can brightwell purit reduce no3

muha.dollah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g tank and I'm using a canister filter, the issue is my no3 getting high, my no3 reading at 5ppm. In my canister filter, I'm using crushed coral stone, sponges and chemi-pure elite. My LFS recommends using a brightwell purit. Can the brightwell purit really reduce no3?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g tank and I'm using a canister filter, the issue is my no3 getting high, my no3 reading at 5ppm. In my canister filter, I'm using crushed coral stone, sponges and chemi-pure elite. My LFS recommends using a brightwell purit. Can the brightwell purit really reduce no3?
5ppm is not high at all especially if you’re keeping softies and lps. I am on the fence of getting purit and it suppose to lower both n and p.

OP
OP
M

muha.dollah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t comment on Purit, but if your NO3 is 5 that’s a great level to maintain. I would not try to lower it personally.
5ppm is not high at all especially if you’re keeping softies and lps. I am on the fence of getting purit and it suppose to lower both n and p.
actually my no3 is at 50ppm, not 5ppm, my mistake. I'm currently using chemi pure elite in my canister, I already used it for about 2 months now...I didn't see any result yet

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure isn’t going to reduce nitrates.
Nitrates are best removed through water changes or if you have a means of skimming you can carbon dose.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here but my nitrate is able to kept in level with my caulerpas. I just need to keep my phosphate in check.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No polymer material can bind significant nitrate or phosphate from seawater, regardless of manufacturers unsupported assertions otherwise.

Many of these materials can bind organics, and if they are exported before they would otherwise break down, they may have some impact on measured nitrate and phosphate.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No polymer material can bind significant nitrate or phosphate from seawater, regardless of manufacturers unsupported assertions otherwise.

Many of these materials can bind organics, and if they are exported before they would otherwise break down, they may have some impact on measured nitrate and phosphate.
Then whats this dirt lookin stuff I'm wringing out of it every week?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back