CAN I ADD LIVE SAND? ESTABLISHED TANK?

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I can add the same brand of live sand that I used to start my tank with originally. I just want to add about 5lbs of more sand in because I got a Watchman and pistol shrimp pair and the shrimp has stolen sand from everywhere lol and I don't want it to get to a point where I see spots of bare bottom tank.Hes making huge mounds everywhere.Please let me know if this is "allowed" or a bad idea. Also if you know any tricks to get the new sand in without making the tank too cloudy. I used Carib sea live sand in a bag the larger crushed coral sand.

20210501_114806.jpg 20210501_114751.jpg Screenshot_20210501-114922_Video Player.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can add new sand to the tank. But, you are probably going to get a big sand storm for awhile. To minimize this, you could rinse the new sand in a bucket with a garden hose until the water runs clear. This will theoretically effect the "live" aspect of the sand, but you are only adding 5lbs...it should soon obtain new fauna from your tank anyhow.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to rinse with fresh water I would just buy “dead” sand and rinse it. Regarding the live sand I think if you can either lower it in the bag all the way to the bottom then slowly dispense it into your bed without stirring it up too much you can minimize some cloudiness. There’s a lot of flocculants on the market that will clear the water up pretty quickly also. I think as long as you don’t get a ton of sand on your corals you should be OK

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to rinse with fresh water I would just buy “dead” sand and rinse it. Regarding the live sand I think if you can either lower it in the bag all the way to the bottom then slowly dispense it into your bed without stirring it up too much you can minimize some cloudiness. There’s a lot of flocculants on the market that will clear the water up pretty quickly also. I think as long as you don’t get a ton of sand on your corals you should be OK
Awesome I was also thinking doing a siphon with the sand at the bottom and kind of do like a reverse water change lol. As in put my fresh mixed saltwater in a bucket with the sand at the bottom and siphon the sand up and into the tank so it only goes on the sandbed and I can point where I want to to go. What do you think?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the sand into Ziploc bags dry after rinsing. Bring bag into aquarium, open slowly to allow water to enter. Lower to the sandbed and pour it out slowly, should help deplete the cloudiness and allow you to place the sand directly where it's needed.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will crash!

(Just to supply the proper wrong information that is completely opposite of the dominant theory).

Actually, you have gotten a lot of good advice up until now! :)
How about a gif for matching live sand and the goby!
shrimp goby GIF by Head Like an Orange

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will crash!

(Just to supply the proper wrong information that is completely opposite of the dominant theory).

Actually, you have gotten a lot of good advice up until now! :)
How about a gif for matching live sand and the goby!
shrimp goby GIF by Head Like an Orange
Lol tank will crash

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back