Can I float my peninsula?

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are starting to move on my new tank deployment. The plumber / electrician has been here for a few days wiring up new 20 amp outlets in the basement (dual four-gang, each on its own breaker for redundancy). I'm installing a countertop and sink... now where to place this 48x30x17H peninsula tank?

I'm thinking that it doesn't necessarily need to be backed up to a wall, what if I floated it out into room a bit? I could affix the power cables to the cement floor and secure with a cable cover.

Okay, so what obvious problem am I overlooking? Below you can see the area; the countertop (sink to be installed) along the back blue wall; the tank mockup is sitting on the floor in the location I am considering. To the left of the counter I have 7 more feet of free space for future frag tanks, etc.

1657588569613.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really comes down to personal preference. Other than not having the ideal electrical hookup and future expansion, the center of the room is fine.

Myself personally I'd probably run it out with one of the sides against the wall.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really comes down to personal preference. Other than not having the ideal electrical hookup and future expansion, the center of the room is fine.

Myself personally I'd probably run it out with one of the sides against the wall.
I agree on one side on wall. But mainly to have free space to move things around without fear of bumping tank. Gives more flexibility.

Good on adding dedicated breakers. I did the same in my poor little 10x10 office. 2 4 plug outlets, each with its own 20 amp breaker. My little room has the most power in the entire house lol's.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything can be done. I guess for me it comes down to what environment do you want experience your tank? Right now it seems utilitarian and busy. Maybe build a few intersecting 3/4 walls to hide the sink, RODI, supplies etc. So the only thing you see is the tank. Also a great way to bring power to the tank without running it out on the floor.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But mainly to have free space to move things around without fear of bumping tank. Gives more flexibility.

Good on adding dedicated breakers. I did the same in my poor little 10x10 office. 2 4 plug outlets, each with its own 20 amp breaker. My little room has the most power in the entire house lol's.
Well, the stand is going to be oversized, with a 3.5" ledge running around the front and sides and a 6" ledge in the rear for the drains and some extra room so nothing bumps into it. I may even add some kind of light wooden frame around the entire rear area just to protect it.

But yeah, the reason I'm asking is because I've never seen one floating before and I'm a little nervous about doing it. But it would be so much more visible off the wall...

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything can be done. I guess for me it comes down to what environment do you want experience your tank? Right now it seems utilitarian and busy. Maybe build a few intersecting 3/4 walls to hide the sink, RODI, supplies etc. So the only thing you see is the tank. Also a great way to bring power to the tank without running it out on the floor.
Hmmm, that's an interesting idea, thanks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are starting to move on my new tank deployment. The plumber / electrician has been here for a few days wiring up new 20 amp outlets in the basement (dual four-gang, each on its own breaker for redundancy). I'm installing a countertop and sink... now where to place this 48x30x17H peninsula tank?

I'm thinking that it doesn't necessarily need to be backed up to a wall, what if I floated it out into room a bit? I could affix the power cables to the cement floor and secure with a cable cover.

Okay, so what obvious problem am I overlooking? Below you can see the area; the countertop (sink to be installed) along the back blue wall; the tank mockup is sitting on the floor in the location I am considering. To the left of the counter I have 7 more feet of free space for future frag tanks, etc.

1657588569613.jpeg
I love walk around aquariums. Since I like to know what every inch of real estate in the aquarium is doing, the 360 degree observation is perfect.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back