Can I use API Furan 2 and General Cure at the same time ?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that Abhishek. Not much you could've done but it never feels good.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Abhishek If you plan on keeping butterflyfish and treating the inevitable infections new specimens get, I highly recommend keeping the two meds below on hand:

Ruby Reef Rally (contains acriflavine - an antiseptic which can be used to provide temporary relief)

Nitrofuracin Green Powder (is best at knocking out gram negative infections in QT)

The blue links above provide more info. You are probably going to lose this battle, but if you are better equipped next time you will win the war.
So do you feel that daily acriflavine baths could've helped? Or would you just have done one bath then kept him in QT with abx?

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish - do you also propose nitrofuracin proactively in qt when new fishes arrive .i generally do prazi and then copper depending on species and never use nitrofuracin

Regards,
Abhishek

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you feel that daily acriflavine baths could've helped? Or would you just have done one bath then kept him in QT with abx?

The problem with abx is they are slow acting. A fish with a serious gram negative infection is doomed because it will be dead before antibiotics can help. Giving an antiseptic (e.g. acriflavine) bath delivers more immediate relief, which buys your fish time as the antibiotics work in conjunction with the immune system to completely overcome the infection.

@Humblefish - do you also propose nitrofuracin proactively in qt when new fishes arrive .i generally do prazi and then copper depending on species and never use nitrofuracin
For butterflies and wild caught large angels, yes. I would acclimate them into a bucket or trough (same SG/temp as your QT), and use NFG as a bath treatment for 60-90 minutes before the fish goes into QT. Many times this will ward off a full-blown infection, but if you see signs of one in QT use NFG for 10-14 days as an extended abx treatment.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with abx is they are slow acting. A fish with a serious gram negative infection is doomed because it will be dead before antibiotics can help. Giving an antiseptic (e.g. acriflavine) bath delivers more immediate relief, which buys your fish time as the antibiotics work in conjunction with the immune system to completely overcome the infection.

For butterflies and wild caught large angels, yes. I would acclimate them into a bucket or trough (same SG/temp as your QT), and use NFG as a bath treatment for 60-90 minutes before the fish goes into QT. Many times this will ward off a full-blown infection, but if you see signs of one in QT use NFG for 10-14 days as an extended abx treatment.

Thanks @Humblefish for the specific reply . Sorry for the dumb question but if I use NFG , no need to use Furan 2 and kanaplex right ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish for the specific reply . Sorry for the dumb question but if I use NFG , no need to use Furan 2 and kanaplex right ?

Nope. I wouldn't mix NFG with any other antibiotics. It already contains two antibiotics plus methylene blue which has some antibacterial properties as well.

Back