Can Stressed Zoas Release Palytoxins?

seabedoasis

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2019
Messages
66
Reaction score
75
Location
San Francisco
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a first time reefer, and yesterday I gave my first two zoa frags a 30 sec 3% hydrogen peroxide dip, which nuked the algae on the plugs, but they didn't seem to enjoy it very much, and are now, a day later, only about 2/3 opened back up. Also, last night, my clown fish mysteriously disappeared. I can't be sure of this but I think he jumped out of the tank and onto the floor, and was eaten by my dog, because there was a vaguely fish-shaped and sized slimey puddle on the floor. My question is, could stressing the zoas out cause them to release palytoxin, which then caused the fish to jump out of the tank? I've never heard of something like that causing a fish to jump, but I couldn't think of anything else that could have caused it. I'm passively running ROX 0.8 carbon, which I thought would deal with most toxins or pollutants. Any help would be appreciated!
 
I don't think the fish jumped due to toxins. Sometimes fish just jump. I've lost Clownfish to jumping too. Best to get a TIGHT fitting lid
 
I'm a first time reefer, and yesterday I gave my first two zoa frags a 30 sec 3% hydrogen peroxide dip, which nuked the algae on the plugs, but they didn't seem to enjoy it very much, and are now, a day later, only about 2/3 opened back up. Also, last night, my clown fish mysteriously disappeared. I can't be sure of this but I think he jumped out of the tank and onto the floor, and was eaten by my dog, because there was a vaguely fish-shaped and sized slimey puddle on the floor. My question is, could stressing the zoas out cause them to release palytoxin, which then caused the fish to jump out of the tank? I've never heard of something like that causing a fish to jump, but I couldn't think of anything else that could have caused it. I'm passively running ROX 0.8 carbon, which I thought would deal with most toxins or pollutants. Any help would be appreciated!
Yes, they can release palytoxin due to stress. However, it is incredibly, highly unlikely that a fish would jump out of your tank due to that specific reason. Some fish are just natural jumpers, and others are jumpers due to being skittish. Theres a lot of variables but I'd rule out palytoxin as the culprit for this one! It happens to the best of us. Best wishes
 
I'm a first time reefer, and yesterday I gave my first two zoa frags a 30 sec 3% hydrogen peroxide dip, which nuked the algae on the plugs, but they didn't seem to enjoy it very much, and are now, a day later, only about 2/3 opened back up. Also, last night, my clown fish mysteriously disappeared. I can't be sure of this but I think he jumped out of the tank and onto the floor, and was eaten by my dog, because there was a vaguely fish-shaped and sized slimey puddle on the floor. My question is, could stressing the zoas out cause them to release palytoxin, which then caused the fish to jump out of the tank? I've never heard of something like that causing a fish to jump, but I couldn't think of anything else that could have caused it. I'm passively running ROX 0.8 carbon, which I thought would deal with most toxins or pollutants. Any help would be appreciated!
They can release it but mainly when you’re going at them with a weed-wacker when they’re still in your tank. They won’t just normally release enough to hurt anything. Clownfish are bad for jumping on me. I lost a Madagascar clown to a tiny slit in my lid I never thought he’d get through. Also possible he’s died on you and the clean up crew has taken care of the body. I lost a wrasse once and never did find any evidence and that was in my biocube so he couldn’t have jumped. Pretty sure my snails cleaned him up on me
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new