Can we learn from the leaves?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time gardener and reef keeper. Ive always wondered if we can use the mangrove leave as an indication of what might be missing or lacking in nutrients or micro elements in the reef.

What do you guys think?

CFE1937E-68CC-4835-BAC2-3F53642816E3.jpeg

EEBACF9B-2AFF-4418-951C-5468958FBE28.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm something to think about for sure!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly a neat idea. One more Canary in the coal mine, so to speak. Might be useful for trace elements, provided the numbers are similar. We would need data though.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time gardener and reef keeper. Ive always wondered if we can use the mangrove leave as an indication of what might be missing or lacking in nutrients or micro elements in the reef.

What do you guys think?

CFE1937E-68CC-4835-BAC2-3F53642816E3.jpeg

EEBACF9B-2AFF-4418-951C-5468958FBE28.jpeg
A little off topic, but I have heard that seagrasses will display abnormal coloration if afflicted by nutrient deficiency, though almost no one owns them.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to judge what a plant is missing by chlorosis especially if you cant rule out a virus causing damage similar to what iron deficient chlorosis or manganese deficient chlorosis looks like. Many of the micro nutrients needed by mangrove are required at much lower levels than what our corals need. It is a good idea in theory but I feel that most coral would be stressed before a mangrove shows stress. I also think its hard for a layperson to rule out all the possible causes and figure out whats causing the symptoms they're seeing.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to judge what a plant is missing by chlorosis especially if you cant rule out a virus causing damage similar to what iron deficient chlorosis or manganese deficient chlorosis looks like. Many of the micro nutrients needed by mangrove are required at much lower levels than what our corals need. It is a good idea in theory but I feel that most coral would be stressed before a mangrove shows stress. I also think its hard for a layperson to rule out all the possible causes and figure out whats causing the symptoms they're seeing.
Yeah it’s like when someone says flu like symptoms, it’s painting with a large brush! But that said, I’m thinking these plants do grow in the same environment as corals and if they’re not 100% happy I’d think something is lacking and will show in other ways through the reef.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it'd depend on what levels the deficiencies start to show up on the mangrove. They may have a higher tolerance for changes than coral, so it could be too late for the coral when the mangrove starts showing signs. It's a cool idea though! And I'm no professional so it could work great lol

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not a mangrove (very hardy) but I bet there are plants that may be as sensitive as corals. This is probably something that could be studied but I bet it would be really expensive and time consuming to collect and analyze all the data.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back