can wrease get along with most fish reason being i have few fish what im think of getting wrease

joshywhite1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can wrease get along with most fish reason being i have few fish what im think of getting wrease to go along with it i have kole eye tang yellow home breed tang also rabbit fish 2 clown fish ice ones 1 damels and one scooter blenny and also one star fish was thinking about get some sort of wrease and also flame angel i was thinking of getting please could any body give me suggustion on what wrease i should look out for and what would be the best suited please just looking for advice not trying to start world war 3 with anyone i no what people are like when people say dont do this or that

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can wrease get along with most fish reason being i have few fish what im think of getting wrease to go along with it i have kole eye tang yellow home breed tang also rabbit fish 2 clown fish ice ones 1 damels and one scooter blenny and also one star fish was thinking about get some sort of wrease and also flame angel i was thinking of getting please could any body give me suggustion on what wrease i should look out for and what would be the best suited please just looking for advice not trying to start world war 3 with anyone i no what people are like when people say dont do this or that
Many wrasses can get along with most fish. There are a lot of compatibility charts online - for example at retailers that sell fish, etc. That would be the first place I would start. Many damsels can be very territorial. Clowns can be territorial. Part of the question depends - I think - on the size of the tank - and the number of hiding places, etc.

On the other hand fish are 'individuals'. You might find one wrasse that is a bad actor in one tank - but does fine in another

OP
OP
J

joshywhite1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many wrasses can get along with most fish. There are a lot of compatibility charts online - for example at retailers that sell fish, etc. That would be the first place I would start. Many damsels can be very territorial. Clowns can be territorial. Part of the question depends - I think - on the size of the tank - and the number of hiding places, etc.

On the other hand fish are 'individuals'. You might find one wrasse that is a bad actor in one tank - but does fine in another
i don't go to many retails at all i try to get as much help from YouTube and other google search's just though it would ideal to post something like this on here with someone who has more advice than me understanding every single fish its hard to go threw every single fish and figure it all out if you understand me

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, wrasses are excellent with other fish but some will eat off pods and possibly outcompete a dragonet for food in a 3’ tank. Personally I recommend a small Cirrhilabrus (Fairy Wrasses) or one of the smaller Halichoeres. A leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon) will most likely outcompete a mandarin so avoid them. As a starting list id say for you to look into:
- Lubbocki complex
- Radiant/Multicolor Wrasse
- Yellow “Coris” Wrasse
- Silver Bellied Wrasse
- Pintail Fairy Wrasse
- Adorned Wrasse
- Red Lined Wrasse (H. biocellatus)
- Timor Wrasse

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a scooter blenny I would also avoid all Halichoeres wrasses. Like leopards they will greatly impact pod populations. Fairy and flasher wrasses should be fine.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @MnFish1, most wrasse will get along with any other fish. The same can't be said for the other way around. Most wrasses are timid, and need plenty of spaces to hide if need be. Once they pecking order is established, then you will see more of the wrasses. I have 4 in my tank along with 6 tangs, and once they were comfortable, the wrasses will actually chase the tangs for a bit, that is before the tang turns around, LOL!!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes but you want to purchase a more peaceful and size appropriate wrasse. For example a thalassoma type wrasse is a lot more aggressive then say common Halichoeres such as a Yellow Wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a scooter blenny I would also avoid all Halichoeres wrasses. Like leopards they will greatly impact pod populations. Fairy and flasher wrasses should be fine.
Personally I don’t find this to be 100% true with all Halichoeres.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 12 wrasse and a host of other fish, no problems so whatsoever between wrasse and non wrasse.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don’t find this to be 100% true with all Halichoeres.

Can't speak for all in the genus or all individuals but I have kept H. chrysus, H. melasmapomas, H. chrysotaenia, H. melanurus and H. iridis and all of those precluded a big enough pod population for a mandarin to exist. That was in a 72x24 tank.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak for all in the genus or all individuals but I have kept H. chrysus, H. melasmapomas, H. chrysotaenia, H. melanurus and H. iridis and all of those precluded a big enough pod population for a mandarin to exist. That was in a 72x24 tank.
In my old 4' 110 gallon I was able to keep 2 Macropharyngodon meleagris, 1 Macropharyngodon moyeri, 1 Pseudojuloides cerasinus, 1 Pseudojuloides severnsi, and 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia with a large male Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus). I regularly added home grown pods and supplemented phyto to help feed the tank population however, and fed a lot of food frequently (4-5x) daily. We also target fed the mandarin, and frequently fed live baby brine on top of frozen.

It's definitely doable if one is willing to put in the work involved. But if someone isn't going to put in all the extra work, then it definitely shouldn't be done.

We plan on putting a mandarin in our 75 gallon with 2 Halichoeres (timorensis and iridis) and a spotted mandarin in our 65 gallon with a few different Macropharyngodon, Halichoeres, and Anampses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - I think that’s most likely due to them all being kept together possibly.
My Jade and iridis can’t keep up with the pod population in my tank (And that’s with the help of a CBB!).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my old 4' 110 gallon I was able to keep 2 Macropharyngodon meleagris, 1 Macropharyngodon moyeri, 1 Pseudojuloides cerasinus, 1 Pseudojuloides severnsi, and 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia with a large male Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus). I regularly added home grown pods and supplemented phyto to help feed the tank population however, and fed a lot of food frequently (4-5x) daily. We also target fed the mandarin, and frequently fed live baby brine on top of frozen.

It's definitely doable if one is willing to put in the work involved. But if someone isn't going to put in all the extra work, then it definitely shouldn't be done.

We plan on putting a mandarin in our 75 gallon with 2 Halichoeres (timorensis and iridis) and a spotted mandarin in our 65 gallon with a few different Macropharyngodon, Halichoeres, and Anampses.
That old wrasse gang you had is the dream for me… Although I’d have to add a P’juloides atavai.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - I think that’s most likely due to them all being kept together possibly.
My Jade and iridis can’t keep up with the pod population in my tank (And that’s with the help of a CBB!).

I think it varies a lot from tank to tank. I never had more than two of those on my list at any one time. Right now I only have the iridis and my copepod population is zip. Amphipods I have, lots of them, just not copepods.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it varies a lot from tank to tank. I never had more than two of those on my list at any one time. Right now I only have the iridis and my copepod population is zip. Amphipods I have, lots of them, just not copepods.
It definitely does. It's funny, I have copepods galore (I'm assuming from all the phyto and fish food/coral food we add), but no amphipods at all. The timor wiped them out within 1 week of going into the tank.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely does. It's funny, I have copepods galore (I'm assuming from all the phyto and fish food/coral food we add), but no amphipods at all. The timor wiped them out within 1 week of going into the tank.
It is funny. I also dose phyto daily. I think one thing that keeps amphipods safer in my tank is they are primarily nocturnal and my H. iridis is early to bed....well before lights out.

I'm going to start culturing my on copepods starting next week. Maybe I'll try a mandarin again soon.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is funny. I also dose phyto daily. I think one thing that keeps amphipods safer in my tank is they are primarily nocturnal and my H. iridis is early to bed....well before lights out.

I'm going to start culturing my on copepods starting next week. Maybe I'll try a mandarin again soon.
Do you run a refugium? Ours is roughly 8 gallons on our current 75 gallon, and when we started the tank, we seeded with 6 jars of eco-pods from Algaebarn, so we would have a lot of pods of different species.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a refugium? Ours is roughly 8 gallons on our current 75 gallon, and when we started the tank, we seeded with 6 jars of eco-pods from Algaebarn, so we would have a lot of pods of different species.

Yes, and I've done it more than once.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back