Can you calm clownfish aggression

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a pair of divinchi clownfish that I have owned for about 9 months and they have been great, they are the first fish in my first tank so getting rid of them isn't really an option.
I know clownfish can be aggressive and that is why I haven't added any more fish to the tank, but recently they have started attacking everything. I had a shrimp that I had to move to another tank because they wouldn't leave it alone, but now it's everything. My clean up crew, pompom crab, emerald crab ect.
None of these are new in the tank they have all been there for at least 4 months so I do t know why the sudden aggression towards them, up until now they have had their own areas of the tank and all has been good.
The clowns are a bonded pair, bonded when I bought them and it seems to it be the female that is attacking.
I know they can get aggressive when they pair and protect their host area but it doesn't matter where in the tank the other are they will attack
Is there any way to try and calm them as I dont want to have to remove everything from the tank just because of 2 fish. I can accept not adding more stuff to the tank and getting attacked when I clean them but I do t want the current inhabitants to suffer because if her. Any advice on things I could try.
The tank is a 30 gallon mixed reef

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not really.
You can try moving the scape around, but it is a short term solution.
I am in the same boat in a 40 gal. At one time I had a maroon clown in a 30 gal, the male died and the female never ever allowed any fish or inverts into the system, she killed everything.

Good luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back