Can you have inverts in a fallow?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I clean the glass with my hand and a razor?
As long as your hand and the razor didn't come from a reef tank that could be contaminated you are good :)

Matt F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your hand and the razor didn't come from a reef tank that could be contaminated you are good :)
So I just added a chalice to the tank yesterday that is came from a friend of mine and I have been using the same razor for the tank since this breakout started will I need to start the fallow period over? Sorry for the questions I just saw this I thought I may be screwed because I’m 55 days fallow. Also have these grabbers that I use to feed the anemone in that tank

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just added a chalice to the tank yesterday that is came from a friend of mine and I have been using the same razor for the tank since this breakout started will I need to start the fallow period over? Sorry for the questions I just saw this I thought I may be screwed because I’m 55 days fallow. Also have these grabbers that I use to feed the anemone in that tank
The tools probably get rinsed and dried between uses, no worries there as long as you aren't jumping from one tank to another while they are wet. If that tank is the only one you ever use them on it won't create any problems.

The new coral added would reset your clock though.

Matt F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tools probably get rinsed and dried between uses, no worries there as long as you aren't jumping from one tank to another while they are wet. If that tank is the only one you ever use them on it won't create any problems.

Ok thank you looks like I have to start he fallow period over and if I get new coral I’m planning on starting a qt tank for frags how and what do I do to make sure there isn’t anything bad on the frags I have a gen 4 Radion xr 30 I have been using as a light for the qt for the fish but I am going to use it for the frag qt. Anything will help planning on getting like a 10 gallon have a hang on the back filter that I’m not using but also have some sponge filters that I can use for a air pump too.

FLReef32043

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading about the 76 day quarantine over the last week or so. I am about 2-3 months from setting up a Display Tank (hoping for closer to 2 :) ) due to that insidious time robber called work.

I want to have the best chance for a good tank so I am going to start the 76 day QT process before my DT is up and go for about a 30 day gap in DT standing up and fish ready to go into the DT. I have a couple of questions that I have not seen direct answers to:

1. The "rule of thumb" I was seeing before was double the fish every 30 days. If I put a fire fish and a royal gramma into QT at the same time - (perhaps a couple of bangai cardinals as well?) can they all go into a "pristine" 75 gallon DT at the same time? I'd presume so since there should be more than enough bacterial capability and they are "used to each other." What would be a limit to the number of fish that could be added. My presumption is the size of the QT so the fish won't get stressed with each other. Is that a good estimation of reality?

2. for a CUC which I presume I would need about 30 days into a DT - what do I feed the snails and hermits while in QT? Again, pure presumption, but I was assuming I could feed a sheet of Nori every week and some flake food every 3 days or so for a more "substantial" meal so to speak?

Any input would be helpful. I'm not trying to rush anything (at least I don't want to be) but I also don't want to take a chance of having a tank crash due to disease or anything else I can control before hand.

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are collecting your own NSW or can get a collection date on purchased water. The same time period would apply to the water. I used to do this back in the 90’s when I was offshore a lot. Stored in clean plastic barrels for three months before using.

ReefinHeathen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm curious as to the reason why the clock starts over for adding corals? does the restart only apply for parasites that feed on more than fish only? for instance ich can not live without the fish host. main reason for fallow. so, if only trying to get rid of ich, how does adding coral reset the counter? just trying to understand better.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Thanks for join us :)

After dropping off the fish it was feeding upon, the Ich parasite can encyst on any hard surface for a range of days 3-28. Thus any "wet" incoming critter: corals, inverts, and even macro algaes that have hard surfaces could be carrying "encysted" parasites.

Back