Can you help me ID this crab?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very fun to keep and make interesting specimens to watch.
Some get big
IMG_4240-M.jpg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love researching and learning about random critters, this gorilla crab is new to me, great pics btw thanks
Where do these crabs come from, how did it get into this person's aquriam if only lightly stocked? Any information appreciated
Thanks

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love researching and learning about random critters, this gorilla crab is new to me, great pics btw thanks
Where do these crabs come from, how did it get into this person's aquriam if only lightly stocked? Any information appreciated
Thanks
It came with the live rocks. The rocks I got from the LFS were jam packed full of life.

I’ve noticed at least 8-9 mythrax crabs (I believe that’s what they’re called. They’re basically emerald crabs but more of beige color) a bobbitt worm which has been removed, a pistol shrimp, a fleshy limpit, a bunch of spaghetti worms and fan worms as well.

edit: I forgot to mention a bunch of sponges and even a form of coral has managed to stay alive on the live rocks.

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly thought I’d have a lot of die off during the initial cycling process but I was very strict with my water changes and I think I just had only 1 crab meat his maker on my watch since introducing the rocks.

Fish and corals on the other hand have been wiped out due to the bobbitt worm and gorilla crab.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back