Can you run a successful reef long term without this....

Can you run a a successful reef long term without some type of reactor and media?

• Yes

Votes: 367 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 69 13.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 96 18.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you run a a successful reef long term without some type of reactor and media?

What type of reactor and media combos are you running?

imageproxy.php.jpg

image via P Sherman

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your definition of long term? And does a refugium count as media since chaeto removes nitrates, phosphates, and filters?
I've been running my reef now for 5 years, no reactors, no media, just a refugium with chaeto and a skimmer :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 tanks, oldest is 6 years at this point (longer if you count upsizing tanks when we moved the first time). No reactors on any of those. Only fuge and skimmer. Filter socks once a month for a day when I stir sand and blow out rocks. Granted some are nanos, but they make reactors for those also lol.

1 tank has a DIY charcoal reactor driven by an MJ1200. It is just a modified whole home filter with carbon in an old DI cartridge. It is about to come out, as it is a pain to keep flow consistent through the carbon.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the coral too. I ran a 90 gallon softy tank successfully for about 10yrs with no skimmer, no reactors, and no water changes. Had some hair algae, but coral thrived. Only ended that spree when I decided to go "kosher" and get all the bells and whistles so I can get sps. Sometimes I wish I was back in the good old days. Had a heavier wallet back then too.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon should go in a reactor and be at a small trickle. Check out melevs reef recent videos about it. Putting a bag of carbon in a filter sock 'can' work but it's not going to be nearly as effective. Can't believe only one other person voted no.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used reacors. A friend of mine has a very simple 75g tank with a hob filter and a hob skimmer. And his tank is beautiful. It drives me crazy actually bc I've spent thousands on filters and reactors for my tank(not complaining, I love my setup) but he can keep everything I can. But he definitly spends alot more time doing maintenance.

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in saltwater since 1997, only run chemipure in my sump in place of sponge and filter socks

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run them, occasionally I will use carbon for short periods of time but I just put it in a filter sock replacement cup which seems to work great.

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly use a refugium with chaeto, and skimmer. It's a Triton style sump with no socks so nothing to change there. I do run a carbon reactor from time to time, but not on a consistent basis. Recent pic of my mixed reef tank that is 1.5 years in.

IMG_6658.jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, but I'm sure trying ;Joyful
Deluxe Elite Bag-O-Carbon (it is the good stuff) and
XXL Turbocharged Hunk-O-Chaeto

If I somehow make a mess of things, I'll sometimes put a filter pad in the sump baffles for a day or two.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run anything other than the basics: lights, powerheads and heat.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes you can run one without any reactors but it really depends on the tank....although there are other ways to remove unwanted "stuff" other than reactor media. I run three reactors.....one with GFO, one with Carbon, and one with CO2 absorbent media.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I sure hope so....no plans to run reactor, just a small amount of GAC in my media basket. But I did set it up this way on purpose...carbon dosing and big skimmer. Plus routine WC and understand a bit more maintenance maybe required. We'll see. I'm not claiming any success until at least the 2 year point. Seems to be the generally accepted min on success time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 'reactor' that has carbon in it - but - its really no different than having it in a filter sock - so I wasnt sure how to answer this question. (I answered no) - I have tended to try to minimize (over time) the use of automation/reactors, etc - as its just one more thing to 'go wrong'. That said - I did order a mindstream...

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tanks < 125 can get away with no reactor. Sps thrive with a reactor but, need to dose supplemental trace and aminos.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back