Candy Cane Dying

AdamNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second candy cane that at first was thriving and in a few weeks goes downhill rapidly. I have SPS, LPS and Soft corals and the more difficult once are doing well, but my candy cane that is supposed to be very easy to keep dies. Please advise what I’m doing wrong.

9614836E-63F8-4C94-AFDD-9B735877C6A7.jpeg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second candy cane that at first was thriving and in a few weeks goes downhill rapidly. I have SPS, LPS and Soft corals and the more difficult once are doing well, but my candy cane that is supposed to be very easy to keep dies. Please advise what I’m doing wrong.

I have the same problem in my tank. Can anyone help?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, might not be doing anything wrong if other corals are doing well. You can try different light acclimation scenarios perhaps adjust flow.

Personally, I feel, especially early on in tank maturation that some corals just don't do well. 6 months later they do fine as the tank mature. The pics indicate a newer tank.

I would concentrate on the corals you're currently successful with and give it a few months and try again. It's worked for me with zoas (still waiting to reattempt candy canes and duncan)

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, might not be doing anything wrong if other corals are doing well. You can try different light acclimation scenarios perhaps adjust flow.

Personally, I feel, especially early on in tank maturation that some corals just don't do well. 6 months later they do fine as the tank mature. The pics indicate a newer tank.

I would concentrate on the corals you're currently successful with and give it a few months and try again. It's worked for me with zoas (still waiting to reattempt candy canes and duncan)
My tank is a year old, and earlier (few months ago) I lost a duncan and a candy cane (months earlier). Its weird that stuff like this happens

OP
OP
AdamNanoReef

AdamNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for your post. Yes, the picture is from a new tank. I also have a 55g established reef tank and same issue :(

OP
OP
AdamNanoReef

AdamNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year old, and earlier (few months ago) I lost a duncan and a candy cane (months earlier). Its weird that stuff like this happens
I have frogspawn, hammer and goniopora in my new nano tank and they are doing extremely well. It’s just weird that some corals (especially the ones labeled as easy) don’t do well.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree...my rainbow nem is doing great as are my softies and LPS. But I couldn't get a new head to sprout on a zoa to save my life. Had only three polyps for months. Then in one month I have 10 new polyps. Lost two duncans and two candy canes - they'll be on my next shopping list since the zoas and a blasto have really started to take off.

Everything in its time, I guess. At least for me. Some people are lucky and everything grows great right off the bat.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have frogspawn, hammer and goniopora in my new nano tank and they are doing extremely well. It’s just weird that some corals (especially the ones labeled as easy) don’t do well.
I have a hammer, two torches, toadstool, mushroom, anemones, and Nepthea that are doing well. I have a candy cane in the tank at this very moment, but it doesn't look great. The rest are perfect... strange

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree...my rainbow nem is doing great as are my softies and LPS. But I couldn't get a new head to sprout on a zoa to save my life. Had only three polyps for months. Then in one month I have 10 new polyps. Lost two duncans and two candy canes - they'll be on my next shopping list since the zoas and a blasto have really started to take off.

Everything in its time, I guess. At least for me. Some people are lucky and everything grows great right off the bat.
Zoas have always done fine in my tank. I guess it is just luck XD

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still I wouldn't give up on it. Move it up or down and put in lower or higher flow area. Just hate that feeling of watching a coral wither away no matter what you do.

And sometimes the right thing to do is nothing!

Good luck!

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least from the experience I’ve had with them, candy canes can decline pretty rapidly if they’re not getting enough light. I had a colony a while back that was withering away and bounced back rapidly after being moved two inches forward in the tank so that it was in more direct light. Yours looks like it’s pretty near the glass on the side which is usually a pretty low PAR area. You can also consider trying to target feed it with some small sized coral foods.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's what my candies look like. You can flow where they have a little ripple or movement in them and they are happy. In mine, you can see multiple lighting situations for them, all happy. They've grown since then as well. Nice pink color

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t throw out the skeleton. They have the ability to regrow from basically nothing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back