Canister thoughts...

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the hobby for sometime. My wife has asked me to setup a tank for her and my daughter. So I did this last night. I am not looking to get back into a full reed tank. I want to stick with FOWLR. I have a 40 with 2 simple hang on filters.

I'm interested in adding a canister filter but of course since getting back into the hobby I don't want to drop tons of money right away into it.

Would you say a canister would be a good addition to my tank?

Anyone have a canister laying around they would be interested in selling?

Thank you in advanced

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canister is not really good for a salt water tank unless you just want to save money and use it empty for circulation instead of a powerhead.

Armydogracing

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I also considered adding a type of hob filter or a canister for my dt cause my wrasses are fairly large and stir up the sand quite a bit.

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the 2 hang on filters that I have what other type of filter would you suggest? I am not set up to do a dump below so I'm pretty limited. I had heard a canister isn't great for saltwater though I'm not sure if the reason.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canister IMO should be used for mechanical filtration (sponge /floss)only esp if your a bit newer in the hobby. there are some using it for biological as well..
If you change or clean it every two weeks at water change time it prob fine. you can also run any of the chem in there to pretty efficiently. Carbon gfo etc.

this is similar to the one I have. surprisingly well built. easy to clean because there's a valve on it so you take the lid right off and the hoses don't leak.
clears up dust fast. you can change the floss to different thicknesses too.

https://www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW-30...d=1478205119&sr=1-11&keywords=canister+filter

I did get rid of all the complicated tubes and stuff and just use the hooks and kept it low profile. pretty easy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the 2 hang on filters that I have what other type of filter would you suggest? I am not set up to do a dump below so I'm pretty limited. I had heard a canister isn't great for saltwater though I'm not sure if the reason.
a hob skimmer.

basically
food rots bacteria eat it they die the skimmer pulls the bacteria poo , dead bacteria and rotted food out. A mechanical filter takes the un rotted and rotted food out before it decomposes.
thats the key imo to canisters and hobs. keep them clean so the food doesn't rot IN them.

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a cannister for over a year before I set up a sumped tank. I cleaned my filter every week and never had any issues. In fact it seems my coral did better then than it is now.

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you advise to get the one in the link you provided. What media would you put in it?

Also any suggestion on what hob filter to get?

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please also note I have no desire to do any coral. Simply fish live sand and rock. I have 2 penguin 200 filters on my 40 gallon. I want to be able to keep a good amount of live stock.

I assume a uv sterilizer would be wise.

After discussing with you all I feel you are advising a protein skimmer

Also a canister as long as I keep it cleaned out every 2 weeks?

Am I correct in saying this?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a cannister for over a year before I set up a sumped tank. I cleaned my filter every week and never had any issues. In fact it seems my coral did better then than it is now.

I am now using NHreefguy's sunsun canister. I use live rock rubble in one stage, mechanical sponges in another stage, a bag of carbon in another stage, and the 4rth stage is just empty. Before that i used a penn plax canister. My corals grow like beasts and @NHreefguy can confirm this.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO all you need is the skimmer. No filter and definitely no ultraviolet sterilizer.
I would not use any real "filter" as they are not needed in salt water.
My tank is 45 years old and I have no filter. Just a skimmer.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO all you need is the skimmer. No filter and definitely no ultraviolet sterilizer.
I would not use any real "filter" as they are not needed in salt water.
My tank is 45 years old and I have no filter. Just a skimmer.

I dont disagree with that! The built in UV sterilizer just overheats the tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup same here!

heres some examples of hob skimmers.

ive gone both ways. both work.

chet31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a like new
EHEIM Professional 3e 2076 External Electronic Canister Filter for up to 105 US Gallons. Let me know if you are interested.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back