Can't Decide on fish for 20Cube

Nway93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it seems like you've already decided the cherub angel would be a bad idea. They're one of my favorite fish but everyone I've ever had I had a heck of a time getting out after they decided some rainbow acans or something else looked appetizing.

I currently have a waterbox 20 cube as well with a trio of springeri damsels. They're pretty fish, stay out in the open, cheap, impossible to kill, and supposed to eat some coral pests. About all I could ask for. The pink streaked wrasse was on my list but couldn't find one. If you have sand a goby and pistol pair is pretty cool. Long ago I had a pair of yasha gobies with a shrimp and they were the highlight of the tank. Current tank is barebottom and contemplating setting up a smaller cube just for a goby pistol pair.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it seems like you've already decided the cherub angel would be a bad idea. They're one of my favorite fish but everyone I've ever had I had a heck of a time getting out after they decided some rainbow acans or something else looked appetizing.

I currently have a waterbox 20 cube as well with a trio of springeri damsels. They're pretty fish, stay out in the open, cheap, impossible to kill, and supposed to eat some coral pests. About all I could ask for. The pink streaked wrasse was on my list but couldn't find one. If you have sand a goby and pistol pair is pretty cool. Long ago I had a pair of yasha gobies with a shrimp and they were the highlight of the tank. Current tank is barebottom and contemplating setting up a smaller cube just for a goby pistol pair.
Oh Just another reason to nix the Angel. I already have 4 small colonies of acans.

I thought about a damsel to fill the swim space, but never heard anything good about any of them, and had a domino that was big and angry.

I have had a goby pistol pair in 2 satlwater tanks before. It is such a cool relationship, but I am really concerned with sand all over corals that I know will be on the sand. For example I have a brain coral that is maybe half a ping pong ball size that I am pretty sure will live in the sand.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's def possible to have one but even though the captive bred ones eat frozen and prepared foods they still need to munch on pods and constantly eat all day long since they don't have a stomach basically it's just a long straight intestine so that's why they need to eat constantly.

As far as a royal gamma and orchid dottyback I would not put them together. May be fine but too similar in size and color and I would think the gamma would kill the dottyback.
I’d put my money in a dottyback killing a similar sized gramma.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano fish are a hot topic!
I do have two ORA red trimma gobies and think they go with any fish mentioned above. They largely hang either on the sand or under cavework and tend to dart very fast to capture food tossed into the water column. They stay *tiny* about 2” or so. They interact but non aggressively it’s all tiny territories amongst themselves.

744153B5-2585-4C6A-B448-D7B8DA3B8B06.jpeg

I’ve never had a rainsford, I’ve only researched it as a good candidate for nano tanks and it’s also bred by ORA

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano fish are a hot topic!
I do have two ORA red trimma gobies and think they go with any fish mentioned above. They largely hang either on the sand or under cavework and tend to dart very fast to capture food tossed into the water column. They stay *tiny* about 2” or so. They interact but non aggressively it’s all tiny territories amongst themselves.

I’ve never had a rainsford, I’ve only researched it as a good candidate for nano tanks and it’s also bred by ORA
Thanks a ton for sharing! That is a tiny little fish.

I made sure when I made my "big list" that I checked to see what was available Captive Bred as well. I looked at all of the trimma gobies, but my wife had zero interest. I do all the research while she goes "oooooh pretty, can we have it?". Unfortunately, even when we had a 240Gal tank somehow the answer was usually "No".

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton for sharing! That is a tiny little fish.

I made sure when I made my "big list" that I checked to see what was available Captive Bred as well. I looked at all of the trimma gobies, but my wife had zero interest. I do all the research while she goes "oooooh pretty, can we have it?". Unfortunately, even when we had a 240Gal tank somehow the answer was usually "No".

I fully understand. I’m still being held responsible for putting up the jellyfish tank for my wife someday...

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m taking notes! It’s tough to choose with limited space.

I just wanted to note, I recently got a Wheeler’s goby paired with a pistol. Since pairing, he rarely leaves the den so has little impact on real estate. Also, photos don’t quite do their coloration justice. They’re quite beautiful, covered in some brilliant color dots and their fins can appear reflective.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do a dragonet in a tank that size. Personally I’d give one to your wife and get the shrimp goby pair. I love me a yasha white ray goby. Also look into a Firefish and neon goby

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do a dragonet in a tank that size. Personally I’d give one to your wife and get the shrimp goby pair. I love me a yasha white ray goby. Also look into a Firefish and neon goby

I am going to have to give her something if I nix the dragonette. She has wanted one those Ruby Red for awhile now. She is hell bent since it's such a small fish in a small tank.

The Yasha are neat. Do those "type" of shrimp gobies sift sand? By that type I mean like the dracula, yasha, hi-fin. Also aren't those a bit more cryptic?

Also the firefish was only eliminated due to possible aggression from the Blenny, but that may be on the cutting block as well...

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to give her something if I nix the dragonette. She has wanted one those Ruby Red for awhile now. She is hell bent since it's such a small fish in a small tank.

The Yasha are neat. Do those "type" of shrimp gobies sift sand? By that type I mean like the dracula, yasha, hi-fin. Also aren't those a bit more cryptic?
N
Also the firefish was only eliminated due to possible aggression from the Blenny, but that may be on the cutting block as well...
Are you going to culture pods? Those shrimp gobies don’t really sift sand. The reason I say not to do a ruby res in a take like that is because we you won’t have enough pods for it. People fail to keep them in 30-40g tanks .

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to culture pods? Those shrimp gobies don’t really sift sand. The reason I say not to do a ruby res in a take like that is because we you won’t have enough pods for it. People fail to keep them in 30-40g tanks .
How much rock do you have?? If you want, you can cram a ton of pods into the tank and eventually get a small guy. While it is small you can try and train it to eat frozen using the clear bottle trick while there are tons of pods.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't really want to culture pods, but I could. I did it with another tank. I was hoping to get a captive bred one, but now that I am looking I don't see that ORA ever actually released them. If I can't get one that is captive bred and possibly eating other foods I likely wouldn't risk it.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much rock do you have?? If you want, you can cram a ton of pods into the tank and eventually get a small guy. While it is small you can try and train it to eat frozen using the clear bottle trick while there are tons of pods.

I put some rock ruubble in the middle chamber along with some marinepure cubes with the plan to dump some pods in that chamber and dose phyto to hopefully get a colony going back there, and of course that would hopefully grow the colony in the Display.

Attachments

• 20Cube 29Nov20 (1).jpg
    20Cube 29Nov20 (1).jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 17
Back