OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after all the building is straightened out can I keep California or bluespotted stingrays with a BTRS? I don't know a lot about stingrays but will be looking into it.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's a massive tank! I would probably talk to somebody that's dealt with public aquariums.

My LFS has a 17,000 gallon shark tank with Blacktips in it, I'm in Cincinnati. If you would like I can give you the website and the stores number. The owner is doing some research on the mating habits I believe; he's overall a great resource.

What lfs is that?

harley3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a 17,000 gallon shark tank with Blacktips in it, I'm in Cincinnati. If you would like I can give you the website and the stores number. The owner is doing some research on the mating habits I believe; he's overall a great resource.

What LFS is that? I am in Lex, KY and that would be a good excuse to run up to Cinci and check it out.

redtigrinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't zebra sharks and leopard sharks the exact same shark?

No. Although people sometimes refer to zebra sharks as leopard sharks they are 2 different species. Also I belief true leopard sharks are illegal now.

leopardshark.jpg

Leopard shark

zebra-shark-info.jpg

Zebra Shark

That said I think Port Jackson are cool. With the exception of the Smooth hound, none of these sharks are very active. If you are looking for something active a black tip or maybe a bonnethead, those are cool. Wobbygongs are also a very cool shark.

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the zebra shark and the bonnethead. I think I might do a...

Blacktip reef shark
Bonnethead shark
(Might do a zebra shark)
2 coral groupers
Port Jackson's shark
2 Niger triggerfish
2 Japanese Dragon eels
2 blue jaw triggerfish
2 California stingrays

I am not sure about the eels and having the bonnethead and blacktip together. Also do you think it is under or over stocked because I know sharks and the rays needs lots of filtration.

Last edited:

redtigrinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the zebra shark and the bonnethead. I think I might do a...

Blacktip reef shark
Bonnethead shark
(Might do a zebra shark)
2 coral groupers
Port Jackson's shark
2 Niger triggerfish
2 Japanese Dragon eels
2 blue jaw triggerfish
2 California stingrays

I am not sure about the eels and having the bonnethead and blacktip together. Also do you think it is under or over stocked because I know sharks and the rays needs lots of filtration.

I don't think you are over stocked, but considering the potential full size of the species, I'd avoid the Zebra shark only because they get so large and I think you could cause biological filtration challenges. I think you should be fine with the others. The eels will be fine so long as the are appropriately size and have plenty of hiding places.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot about sharks and I think that I am finally ready to get one. The only problem is I want the aquarium to be made for the shark so I need to decide what shark I am going to get. I love blacktip reef sharks but I want to get some experience with sharks first (because I would never forgive myself if I killed one). I am not sure how compatible BTRS are with other sharks so if any of my favored sharks are compatible that would work out great. I was thinking about...
Zebra shark
Grey smoothhound sharks
Coral and banded cat sharks
Whitespotted bamboo shark
Port Jackson's shark

I have already made arrangements for a friend who builds custom aquariums to build it for me including plumbing. The max size can be a 20x10x7 foot aquarium built into my living room wall. I have been saving for this for years and have also made sure I have the income to keep it up because I know sharks are a long term commitment. Thanks already :-D
You'd be fine with every shark you listed except the Zebra shark, which would need a 30-50 thousand gallon tank/pond/lagoon.

It's possible california stingrays might work, but it's also possible they would turn into prey for BTRS or WTRS

match69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for real? The only thing worse than "I want to get one of these, how do I look after it" is "I have got one of these, how do I look after it". The op states he knows all about sharks. I can't think of any that would be suitable for a 20x10x7 'aquarium' let alone wanting a black tip reef shark that would need something equivalent to an Olympic sized swimming pool or larger!

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I not include the stingrays because I would feel bad if they were eaten. What should I replace them with?

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for real? The only thing worse than "I want to get one of these, how do I look after it" is "I have got one of these, how do I look after it". The op states he knows all about sharks. I can't think of any that would be suitable for a 20x10x7 'aquarium' let alone wanting a black tip reef shark that would need something equivalent to an Olympic sized swimming pool or larger!
If I recall I said I was planning this for years. Please do not assume I saw a movie with a man eating shark and said I have to have one. I am well aware of the shark' s needs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to possibly build a shark pond instead. I could turn my indoor swimming pool into a nice sized shark pond but would this be possible?

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am sounding crazy but you've got to admit even attempting to keep a shark is crazy

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking an outdoor pond would be to cold for the sharks where I live. (So sorry for all the random thoughts just so exited this is happening)

Last edited:

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you could keep a juvenile in that tank, but an adult would need a minimum 35-40 foot long pool.

A white tip reef shark should do pretty well in that size of a tank, however. It grows just as big, but unlike the blacktip, actually naturally lives around tight spaces and can stop swimming at times.

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this thread has lost everyone's interest :(
You're going to be better off contacting someone, preferably an expert, instead of relying on forum users (not to bash the expertise some users have). What you're doing is best done in person and meeting with people who specialize in the field, there's no way you're going to be able to do it on your own. Especially obtaining a BTRS.

Best of luck!

Back