Can't decide what shark I want!!!!

Taso1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whichever is the most active #1

if they are all similar, i.e. bottom hanging around, not much movement, get the most colorful.

black & white tips are cool and move around so there you go.

how about a wobbegong?

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but the fact the OP is talking about a system over 10000 gallons, that would weigh over 80000 lbs and evaporate probably 100 gallons a day, I have a hard time taking this post seriously.
The weight of this tank would be more then a small house.
In fact it would probably cost more then the average mortgage payment just to maintain it.

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree, it's a bit over the top. There are a small handful of people worldwide with similar systems. Bill Wann who maintains a 20k+ tank is a genius who can literally build equipment needed for the tank or his home on-site. I really don't think the OP is quite aware of what he is getting into. Public aquariums are designed from the ground up to handle the kind of environment a 10k tank creates. Our homes are not and as a remodeling contractor, I have a pretty good idea of what it would take to retrofit an existing home to accept a tank of this magnitude. Depending on the home, it's age and how it's finished, it may be wiser to tear it down and build a home around the tank. You're talking about a project that is going to breach 500k if done properly. Large tanks such as this can carry salt laced humidity throughout the home, it corrodes everything right down to electrical outlets and HV/AC systems. When you get into the realm of specialty duct work capable of proper ventilation in a home occupied by such a system, your talking serious money. Finding a contractor that understands and specializes in this type of thing, more money.

Furthermore, the idea of keeping black tipped reef sharks in home aquariums is irresponsible. Sharks are well documented apex predators that help shape the evolutionary tracts of prey. Hundreds of millions are fished from the oceans each year and many species have depleted by 90% or more. The last thing any shark species needs is a bunch of home aquarist seeking them out to keep them in home aquariums. They don't belong there, they don't do well in captivity and it enters the same grey area that exists with dolphins, whales and other marine mammals when discussing captivity suitability. Yes, public aquariums keep shark species but public aquariums also have teams of biologists, aquatic veterinarians and other professionals, often on call 24/7. As aquarists, we need to make responsible decisions that take into account specific species, environmental impact and animal cruelty.

I have a shark in my fish room and personally, I think it's the only shark that belongs in one.

13876609_10153992802577087_8225770188875841792_n.jpg

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 gallons generally wouldn't be a huge concern for weight in a garage, but it should definitely be looked into.

Salt in the air is the killer in most of these situations. I have the air turned over multiple times per hour exhausting outside, and pulling in fresh air from outside.
Hmm. I knew the salt would be probably risky. Wonder what I can do to prevent any issues with salt.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but the fact the OP is talking about a system over 10000 gallons, that would weigh over 80000 lbs and evaporate probably 100 gallons a day, I have a hard time taking this post seriously.
The weight of this tank would be more then a small house.
In fact it would probably cost more then the average mortgage payment just to maintain it.
Yeah, I understand that much. I guess I just jumped to the conclusion that he must have considered that. Silly me!

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blacktip. If you search my username on YouTube you'll find a couple videos. Rounded corners was not necessary. The first 30-40 minutes he was bumping the glass but once he was familiar with the tank it was no longer an issue. You can see in the swim patterns that he was aware of his surrounding. I did keep minimal rock in the display (probably 500-600lbs) which helped.

Please don't take offense but you might not realize what you are getting yourself into based on some of the questions you are asking.

I ordered 14 buckets of IO just to fill the tank, a full bucket of IO was only a 10% water change for my tank. You have to resist the urge to feed daily or every time you have company. You have to source vitamins through companies that supply zoos and aquariums. My electric bill went up substantially, as did my water bill. Everything in my garage began to rust and it lowered the foundation of my home about 2 inches in the garage, which was visible on the second story roof line. I had a structural engineer review the blueprints for the stand I had built to accommodate for the very mild slope of the garage and also evenly distribute the weight. It still cracked the foundation in the garage terribly.

He was a model citizen for months and then started eating fish. Tangs, Rays and a golden puffer. He spent a very long time in the tank after that as the only animal except for a couple aggressive fish. The only thing that were safe were a 48" eel, a basketball sized lion, and a 24" banded cat shark.

I kept him for quite a long time, but my neighborhood had taken a turn for the worse when the housing bubble burst and I no longer felt safe parking my car outside. I moved the shark to a much larger system, drained the tank and sold everything for $2,000. Yes 2,000 for the tank, stand, pumps, plumbing and sump. I had a guy drive over from two states away to pick it up. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people wanted it, but the reality of having to financially maintain the system makes it more of a commitment that most are willing to make. It took so long to sell the tank, I actually considered breaking it up with a sledge so that I could haul it to the dump as I desperately needed my garage space back.

As for the shark, when I turned him over to his new owners I thought that they were caring and qualified. I told them that if they ever had an issue with Cupcake they could call me for help. Sadly, they chose to feed him with a thin wooden dowl which he broke in half and partially swallowed. They allowed him to swim with it sticking out of his mouth until he died a few weeks later. I never received a call, and if I had I would have gladly gone into the tank and removed the stick. I had gotten into the tank with him many times before.
Sad story.

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This conversation started out so well what happened to everyone? No I am not still planning on a BTRS. I give up on sharks and fish for that matter and will probably get a 30 gallon guppy tank instead.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This conversation started out so well what happened to everyone? No I am not still planning on a BTRS. I give up on sharks and fish for that matter and will probably get a 30 gallon guppy tank instead.
Woah that's a radical change.

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay the guppies are a slight exaggeration. I am sticking to leaving out the BTRS though. I am going with a smaller reef system.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a lot of research and patience to make a compatible fish list. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. You will get countless opinions here but a lot of people who give them don't have the experience themselves. My suggestion is take your time and research as much as you can. This is an adventure and not a chore. Enjoy it!! Good luck

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually I am making a never ending list of fish that could possibly be good candidates for my aquarium right now. I have sorted the fish in alphabetical order and color coded the note cards by the fish's temperament.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back