Can't decide what shark I want!!!!

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot about sharks and I think that I am finally ready to get one. The only problem is I want the aquarium to be made for the shark so I need to decide what shark I am going to get. I love blacktip reef sharks but I want to get some experience with sharks first (because I would never forgive myself if I killed one). I am not sure how compatible BTRS are with other sharks so if any of my favored sharks are compatible that would work out great. I was thinking about...
Zebra shark
Grey smoothhound sharks
Coral and banded cat sharks
Whitespotted bamboo shark
Port Jackson's shark

I have already made arrangements for a friend who builds custom aquariums to build it for me including plumbing. The max size can be a 20x10x7 foot aquarium built into my living room wall. I have been saving for this for years and have also made sure I have the income to keep it up because I know sharks are a long term commitment. Thanks already :-D

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your corners of the tank are rounded so they don't damage their noses. I had a marbled cat shark and a California horn shark for a while. :)

Good luck!

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already got the corners covered but also will a few California stingrays be good with a BTFS?

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the horn shark and cat shark I had were kinda boring... while it was cool to say I had sharks they just layed around until food was in the water. So I would avoid those if you want to see sharks swimming around.

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll keep that in mind. So I think I will want to go with the grey smoothhound sharks for my first shark or should I get a banded cat shark just to be on the safe side because the smoothhound sharks are expensive and I don't want to loose them.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a massive system, as you know. Make sure you have thoroughly researched humidity concerns; this size system will ruin a home very quickly if not properly exhausted.

Filtration requirements for large animals like this are considerably different than what you will find on most of these pages. You will need some serious redundancy to cope with potential outages.

If this is your first foray into saltwater, high five for going all in! However I highly, highly recommend at least consulting with an experienced professional prior to moving forward. You do not want to start a project of this scope on the wrong foot.

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a massive system, as you know. Make sure you have thoroughly researched humidity concerns; this size system will ruin a home very quickly if not properly exhausted.

Filtration requirements for large animals like this are considerably different than what you will find on most of these pages. You will need some serious redundancy to cope with potential outages.

If this is your first foray into saltwater, high five for going all in! However I highly, highly recommend at least consulting with an experienced professional prior to moving forward. You do not want to start a project of this scope on the wrong foot.
I am having a professional help me make sure it is properly set up and cycled. They are coming a week after the aquarium is installed.

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banded cat sharks lay around too. I would look at the leopard sharks. I've seen multiple in a decent size tank and they are constantly swimming

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a professional help me make sure it is properly set up and cycled. They are coming a week after the aquarium is installed.
What I am referring to needs to take place in the planning stages.

You should look up "Mr. 4,000". He built a 4,000 gallon aquarium in his home. His large home was completely ruined within a couple years forcing them to move out and have everything gutted. You are talking about 10,500 gallons.

Cycling the aquarium is the easiest thing you will face in this project.

Please do not take offense to my recommendation, I've been in the industry for 13 years and have seen a many large projects jumped into and quickly shut down or never brought to fruition.

All the best.

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what steps do you advise I take when planning my aquarium? And sorry for the misunderstanding.

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what steps do you advise I take when planning my aquarium? And sorry for the misunderstanding.
My LFS has a 17,000 gallon shark tank with Blacktips in it, I'm in Cincinnati. If you would like I can give you the website and the stores number. The owner is doing some research on the mating habits I believe; he's overall a great resource.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you think? 10,000? 15,000?
I don't know a lot about sharks but check out the baltimore aquarium black tip reef on your computer. It is a +200,000 gallon tank with several BTRS, leopard shark (I think) and a couple of rays along with a ton of smaller reef fish and even a sea turtle!!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good starting book that advices proper filtration and other husbandry tips for sharks and rays.

Full ventilation of the aquarium and surrounding rooms will be necessary. Any drywall in the vicinity should be replaced with moisture proof sheet rock. Tanks of this size generally have cement rooms built around them to negate intensive moisture proofing being necessary. You'll never see drywall of any kind in public aquariums ;)

OP
OP
Seadragon1

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for telling me that since I have to replace half the walls and flooring anyway :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back