Cant get nitrates to a readable level?

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have a 215 gallon reef, trying to get nutrient levels into low, readable ranges. I have increased my bio load, feeding heavily (frozen), I can get my phosphates to increase, but can't get anything to read when I test nitrate. My phosphate got even higher than I wanted, up to .94, back down to .3 now, but I never registered any nitrates. What am I missing here?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test are you using? There can be a wide difference in brands as far as ease of use and accuracy.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your po4 was almost 1ppm, but 0 no3? Something doesn't seem right that's for sure! Hope someone has an idea for you what could cause this? Only suggestion I can make is to possibly dose sodium nitrate and see if you get a reading.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B's Reef

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your po4 was almost 1ppm, but 0 no3? Something doesn't seem right that's for sure! Hope someone has an idea for you what could cause this? Only suggestion I can make is to possibly dose sodium nitrate and see if you get a reading.
Thats what Im saying! lol! I will check on Monday with the Nyos test kit and go from there. I just can't wrap my head around the po4 being that high and nitrates sitting at zero. I cant make sense of that.

OP
OP
B's Reef

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get a nitrate reading on any test kit so I submitted an ATI ICP-OES kit and finally showed .06ppm so I started dosing NeoNitro and managed to get it up to 2ppm. It was nice to know where I started so I can dose correctly.

This is the kit I used:
https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/collections/testing-supplies/products/ati-icp-oes-water-analysis

Thanks for the info! Im definitely considering going that route. We shall see what happens. Was just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was 0 phosphate and .06 nitrate. Explains why everything was so pale and had some stn [emoji53]. Was low on some other stuff too but I'm getting back in line. It was worth the $ since they test rodi too.

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will raise your potassium levels. If they are low that's a good thing but you should test them first. I think (don't quote me on this) but sodium nitrate is more potent.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose reagent grade sodium nitrate to maintain my nitrate at a bit over 1 ppm using the Red Sea Pro test.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back